Romeo Romeo, What Did We Say About Poison?

Hello readers, and welcome to my blog. This reflection is on the latest PLP project, “Romeo Romeo, are we still talking about Romeo and Juliet?” (I know, a bit clunky, but it works). The Driving Question for this project was: “How has William Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet remained relevant to contemporary storytelling?” And to explore this question, we read and reflected on the play, and then created an adaptation of our own.

The first step to this project was reading the play. We read the most important parts in class, and completed sections of a theme book to analyze the themes of what we read and connect them to adaptations of the play. Here is my completed theme book:

The next step in the project was to get into groups, and brainstorm ideas for out film adaptations. Our job was to take one or two scenes from the play, and think and create original adaptations of them. I was paired up with Sylas, Dana, Declan, and Nolan.

We chose the scene where Juliet fakes her death, and started thinking. The first idea that popped into my mind was instead of faking her death, she could go into a cryochamber. I thought that this was the closest to death someone can come nowadays without actually dying, and proposed it to my group. They thought it sounded good, so we started filling it our film pitch form.

Film Pitch

Then, we created a script, and started filming. And then, when all is said and done, here is the final film:

And that concludes this post. Thanks for reading.