The ultimate design challenge

The ultimate design challenge was a project we did to test our designing and math skills. In this project, we learned how to calculate the surface area and volume of many different types of 3d shapes, and learned how to build, model and design using a 3d modelling app on our iPads. In this blog post, I will be explaining and reflecting upon my learning in this project.

Our goal for this project was to create and object in an app called Tinkercad, and then do various measurements of that objects surface area and volume. We had to either maximize surface area or volume, and then put it in a presentation to show to the class. The object that I created and measured was a solar panel.

And don’t think I forgot about the calculations I had to do for my object. Here are the slides I used in my presentation which include all of the information needed.

Reflecting back on this project, something I would have done differently was spend more of my class time working on this project. Failing in this area led to me having to do a lot of my work last minute. Another thing I would’ve done differently would have been to make a more interesting object, because in my opinion a solar panel is pretty boring. In the future I will be sure to use my class time more efficiently and learn from my experiences and mistakes in this project.

The loon lake learning advance

Honestly, when I found out we were gonna be going on our first learning advance, I was quite nervous. But, in the end I decided to go, and it was a blast. Here, in this blog post, are all of the things we learned on our Loon Lake learning advance.

When we first got there, I was very relieved. Who wouldn’t be, after an hour long bus ride? The first thing we did at Loon Lake was take our stuff to our cabins. I was a little disappointed to not have been put in a cabin with my friends, but I got over that quickly. The second thing we did that day was go to eat lunch, of course. The food up at Loon Lake was much better quality then I had expected. After that we did advisory (going over rules and how you’re doing), had evening fun (self explanatory), had dinner (which was delicious) and then went to sleep back at our cabins. And just like that, day one was over.

Breakfast had to have been the highlight of my trip. It was so good, for day 2 breakfast we had pancakes and breakfast sausages. After that, we headed down to our morning advisory, which I had some trouble getting to. After that we took the “ferry”, which was a dock type thing that you could pull across the water, across the lake so we could go on a nature walk. I loved the nature walk, I really enjoy being outdoors. One of our teachers saw a fox, and I found a piece of what looked to be quartz. I don’t really remember what happened after that, so we had advisory and dinner and went to bed.

The last full day there was spent doing tons of fun activities like laser tag, battle archery etc. when we finally got home, I have to admit I was a little relieved. The trip was fun, but my bed at home is much more comfortable than the one at loon lake. That basically sums up my school trip to loon lake. I had lots of fun, and in the end I managed to also form new bonds with some people.

This is the Ebook I made while on the learning advance.

The Laws Of Lasers

Hello, and welcome back to my blog. This post will be about a recent project we did in scimatics (science x math). This project we did was meant to teach us about light and the Pythagorean theorem.

Here is my “project start mind map”. We make these at the start of every project that we do in scimatics. Throughout this project, we answered many of the questions I had on this map.

for example, what are lights properties?

One property of light could be reflection of light. Speaking of reflection, we also learned about the law of reflection. We performed an experiment to try to prove it, this experiment was done to show that when light hits a reflective surface at a certain angle, it will bounce away at the same angle.

The final part of this project that we did was our laser display. We were supposed to make a right triangle out of a laser using mirrors. Our theme for the laser display was “Ghost Busters”

this was our display area for the lasers. Our display was the largest one, but sadly because of this (or at least we think because of this), the laser couldn’t reach all the way and was very faint compared to everyone else’s.

Destination: Imagination!

Hello everyone and welcome back to my blog! This post will be an introduction to what Destination Imagination is and everything we are doing in it this year.

first of all, what in the heck is destination imagination? Destination imagination is a yearly event that includes multiple different groups, all with different topics, where students have to create something (that something depends on the group they are in). That thing is then presented to a group of judges and the end goal is to beat the other schools.

the group I am in is called “up close”, and is based on microscopy. The something that my group had to create and present was a play acted out by us. It had to be set in a micro-world, and there had to be a mysterious object of some sort that appeared at any moment during the play. We also had a budget of 150 dollars to spend on props, costumes and other what nots.

unfortunately, I am not aloud to tell anything in this blog post about our ideas or script, due to the rule of DI that states “if an idea is shown to a different team/group, that idea is now unusable”.

The next part of DI is instant challenges. Instant challenges are challenges where you have limited time to build/create something in a certain amount of time with specific resources. I can’t find any photos of instant challenges, so see you next time!

mPOLs: the magic of learning

This post will be a summary of everything that I have learned this semester. I will be starting with the maker subject.

to start, I have to say that maker has been one of my favourite subjects this year. I had so much fun learning about photos, drawings, and becoming a PLP learner at the start of the year. I learned different techniques to use with my apple pencil when drawing, different angles in which I can take a photo to express emotion, and how to use keynote to the best of it’s ability.

You can learn about the different art pieces I created in this blog post

it showcases almost all of what I learned about art and drawings in that post, so I highly recommend looking at it. There will be a summary of what I learned in that post, but it won’t be as detailed as the other one.

The first thing that we explored was using pressure with our apple pencils. We learned how to create bubble letters and express ourselves through that. We learned about how we can use different textures and add pressure to give depth and emotion to our drawings. An example of my leaning here is my word bubble art.

In this example I showed how I can use shapes, words, and lines to express what I am thinking and how I am feeling. I used different pressure settings to colour and shade the letters.

In this project, we also learned how we could jot down our feelings through doodling and art. We learned about how different fonts can send different messages, and how to keep a story engaging while also being able to learn from it.

that was a few examples of my learning in this area, now let’s move on to the second part of this project: photos, A.K.A, Herzog. Here is the blog post for that topic.

in this area we were taught how to express emotion through angles and editing. We learned how to make an interesting and expressive photo, and how to add to it to make it more expressive.

some of the examples of my learning in Herzog are these photos that I took:

These are some angle photos I took with my partner in this project.

Next I’ll talk about scimatics. This semester in scimatics we learned all about lasers and tectonic plates. We learned about this through creative ways, like a laser display or a board game. For the math component, we focused on fractions and the Pythagorean theorem. Here are some things I created for scimatics this year.

This is a picture I took of my laser display for our laser project. Our theme was ghostbusters.

These are the game rules for my board game. The purpose of this was to learn about tectonic plates.

next I’m going to be talking about my humanities subject. Along with Maker, Humanities was probably my second favourite subject that I had this semester. We learned and built knowledge about acting, poems, and advertising. Throughout all these projects I think I learned a lot.

In our acting (Tableau) project was really fun and very interesting. This project was where I first learned about world view and how interesting it was. We read and watched The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton to try and get a grasp on the subject, and it worked. We saw through their eyes and how the characters saw stuff. When we finished reading the book and after we watched the movie, we planned out an event that was to be held at the winter exhibition. We were going to present a series of tableau’s, each one showcasing a different scene from the outsiders.

This is a panorama of us setting up our tableau

This is us presenting it.

next up, and my most favourite project thus far, has to be the poetry project. I really didn’t think writing and learning about poetry would be very fun, but I genuinely enjoyed it quite a bit. We learned about many different poetry terms, here is my list off terms:

We used all of these to help build our knowledge. At the end of the project we held a coffee house to show off our poetic skills!

the last project I will be talking about today is the first one we did in humanities the whole year: our advertising project.

this project was really fun, and now that I’ve done it I am able to recognize all the different methods of advertising when I watch YouTube or a TV show.

for this project, we were supposed to create an ad poster for a real business in the cove. Here is my individual ad poster:

This was my final draft. It was a lot more simplified than the others that I created, you can find them on this blog post.

And that’s it! A rough explanation of everything I was able to learn this year. It was very exciting and interesting and I cannot wait to see what PLP has in store for me next.

Witchcraft And It’s Connections to Therianthropy (pt 4)

This is now part 4 of my small series of blog posts: Therianthropy. In this post, I am going to be talking about witchcraft. Yes, I know what most of you are probably thinking right now, “what do you mean witchcraft? That’s the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard.” But witchcraft is a real belief and is practiced by many people all over the planet, including myself.

First off, what is witchcraft? I can guarantee that it isn’t what you are picturing right now. (Most) witches are very nice people with a strong moral compass, not villains or people who deserve to be burned at the stake. Witchcraft is all about discovering yourself and helping you on your spiritual journey, not about ill will. All the stereotypes you’ve seen are complete lies, there is no cauldron or human eyes or wicked smiles.

beyond the stereotypes, witchcraft is about herbs, crystals, astrology (not the type of astrology you are thinking), the elements, and much more. People of any and all beliefs can practice witchcraft, and if you would like to learn more about it you can do some of your own research on the topic.

Now how does therianthropy and witchcraft collide? I would say most witches believe in past lives, and they are both spiritual topics. There are also many witchy ways to discover your theriotype, and most Therians (from my research) participate in witchcraft in some way.

Here are some things you absolutely need if you start practicing witchcraft.

1. A grimoire

A grimoire is basically a book in which you write down all your findings. It might include spells, rituals, herb meanings, or anything else you wish to include.

2. Various jars/herbs

These are very much necessary for spell jars, spell bags etc. herbs are very useful in the world of witchcraft. Here’s a Link to a short run down of what a spell jar is.

3. At least 1 white candle +candle colour guide

Candles are also an essential part of witchcraft. They are used for meditation, sealing spell jars, and much much more. Here is a candle colour guide, you will need this as colour magic can also be very useful.

and of course, always do your own research! Witchtok is my main resource for info, as it has many resources that come from other witches who are much more experienced then me.

Quadrobics For Dummies (therianthropy pt 3)

Hello, and welcome back to my small series of blog posts: therianthropy. This post is about the sport that is quadrobics (quads for short), and will include a small tutorial from me on how you can learn to do them!

first off, what is quadrobics? Quads is a sport in which you learn to run and jump on all fours. In my previous posts you may have seen some pictures of people doing quadrobics, and while it seems easy, quads can be very challenging and dangerous if you have no experience.

we are going to be covering 2 different parts of quadrobics, and I will link more tutorials at the bottom of the page. These 2 parts will be trotting and running.

(1. Trotting)

to trot, start by getting on all fours, and move different sides of limbs at different times.

Your wrists may hurt for the first week that you practice quadrobics, but they stop hurting after a while.

once you have mastered this movement, you can move on to running. Keep practicing until you can do it in complete comfort.

(2. Running)

running is easy. Start while standing up (this only applies if you have no experience with quads), and lean down until your hands touch the ground. Then use your hands to push off and then your feet. Repeat this until you want to stop running.

Once you’ve gotten the hang of running and trotting, you can follow these other tutorials to learn how to jump, but make sure you’ve practiced for at least 2 weeks before you attempt a jump. You could hurt yourself.

Moss_the_quadrobists jump tutorial

Atlass..jumps tutorial

Dotted.paws quads tutorial

if you have any questions feel free to ask in the comments :]

Moments Frozen In Time

This blog post is on one of my school projects, which was about taking photos in order to express creative communication. We did multiple activities to build knowledge and learn how to express emotions through moments frozen in time.

(Model is Mackenzie)

The first activity we participated in was an introduction to angles and how we can use them in a photo to give off a certain emotion or feeling. Four of the angles that we learned about (and the ones showcased above) were side view, birds eye, close up, and long shot.

In order to capture a side view angle photo, position your model so that you can see the side of their head and body (as shown above) a side view photo can symbolize many things when given the right context.

the next angle is a birds eye view angle. To capture a birds eye view photo, position your camera above your model in some way. My birds eye view photo wasn’t the best example, so here are some others

Birds eye view photos are good for making things feel smaller.

the 3rd angle I am writing about today in this post is the “close up” angle. This angle is good for getting in the moment or capturing someone’s features. To create a close up-style photo, position your model so that you are all up in their face. Then you can capture the moment.

the 4th and final angle we learned about was the long shot angle. This angle shows a subject (your model) standing well far away from the camera. To capture a long shot, position your model somewhere, take your camera and walk far away from them. They can move themselves to stand in whatever position you want them too, and when the shot looks good, create your photo.

Therianthropy: theriotypes and spirituality (pt 2)

(This article is based on my spiritual beliefs, if you don’t believe in that type of stuff please be respectful! Also if you haven’t read it I would recommend reading Part 1 first)

A theriotype is the specific type of animal that you were in you past life. You can have more than one. To attempt to regain memories from your past life and learn what your theriotype(s) are, there are many different ways to do so! One of the most popular ones is meditation, but my favourite is the round table method (created by Finn)! You can message them or comment on their blog asking about it for an in-depth explanation. It is a very handy way to get in touch with spirit guides.

speaking of spirit guides, I should mention that if you want to learn if you are a therian or not you should definitely start by learning the basics of witchcraft. In the future I will make a post on this so keep your eyes open for it.

some signs to look out for of being a therian could be having weird animal urges or instincts, phantom tail, phantom paw, phantom ears, often dreaming about yourself as a specific animal or feeling weirdly connected to a species.

If you have any other questions feel free to write them down in the comments :]

Therianthropy: An Educational Post (part 1)

Hello! If you are reading this, you may be wondering what the word ‘therianthropy’ means, and if you don’t know, then this post is the right thing for you!

the word therianthropy describes someone who is a Therian. A therian is someone who believes they were an animal in their past life. Most people see this as weird or wrong in some way, mainly because of the stigma and the tropes that surround therianthropy. You may have heard of that one meme, that goes “on all levels except physical, I am a wolf.” That is one of the tropes.

(Therians will often practice quadrobics, which is when you run around and jump like an animal)

On top of that, Therians know they are human! They don’t believe they are an animal, they believe they were an animal. You do not need to remind anyone who is a therian that they are human, because they know.

the next thing is the confusion between furries and Therians. There is actually a VERY big difference between furries and Therians, though there is nothing wrong with either. A therian does not have the choice to be a therian. Sometimes, therianthropy can suck a lot because of the species dysphoria (we’ll talk about that later) that they go through. Therianthropy is often glorified by children who don’t know what it’s really like. A furry has the choice to be a furry. Furries cosplay animals, and have no spiritual connection to animals whatsoever, though it is ok to be a furry and a therian at the same time.