My other maker blog post for Carr

Hi everyone in this blog post I will be writing about my experience in the Carr section of this maker project Constructing creative communication.

First ill be saying who Emily Carr is, then my artwork, after how art can be used to communicate, and finally the answer to the driving question.

Who is Emily Carr. Emily Carr is a famous artist in Canadian history. She lived in Victoria for q lot of her life and loved animals. She wad born in 1871 and died in 1945. She was inspired by the indigenes people for art like she would paint totem poles and stuff like that.

Here is my art work from this class I will show a photograph of the art and then do a description underneath it on what we did we had 6 classes and did one drawing per class.

This was our first drawing we did for this project. We had to learn how to use pressure affectively to make our very own word art. My word art was my name. Our teacher like how I used the spray paint tool and the crayon. We also had to include our own pattern wich we learned how to do in that class as well. My pattern was in the O wich included my name in tiny letters.

This was our second masterpiece we had to do sketch notes wich I did not find that easy. In my opinion I find the normal version of notes better mostly because I’ve been doing that my whole life not sketch notes. But I definitely see the Advantages in sketch notes. It’s supposed to help you remember notes better and therefor help you remember stuff for the big test.

In this next piece of art we had learn how to make 3D art by using simple shapes. We had to also make a robot out of those shapes however you wanted. My robot included 3 heads 2 legs and 2 arms and one body. The body consisted of a semi circle and some triangles and a rectangle for the shirt. The heads were just rectangles that now I look back on them they kind of look like paper bags. I learned how to make better 3D art as my old 3D shapes have looked really bad.

This is a lightbulb I drew. In this lesson we learned how to do shading properly. Before this class my shading sucked os bad I didn’t even do it. But after watching YouTube videos and watching my peers draw for a bit I finally got the hang of it. I took a picture of my lightbulb at night and some unnatural light shined on the right side so I Coulored the left side in.

This is my favourite art we did in this project we worked open perspective of landscapes this is a picture I took up Mt Seymour of the lodge chairlift last summer. I truly enjoyed this one a lot more because I like this type of art more. To make the sky I used spray paint and to do the rest I used the sharpie and fine liner as well of the fill tool. I learned how to really do things in deferent layers like the background and fore ground.

This was the last piece of art and probably included the most creativity. We had to make our own logo for a new company that we would design. Mine was We Bike because as you probably know form my About me post I love to mountain bike. It was established in 2010 and in Trail BC. I learned how to use shapes and the ruler tool more effectively.

I also forgot to mention that we had a guest visit from my teachers good friend Chloe Devine who lives in New York and is a graphic designer she taught a bit about art and answered some of our questions.

The driving question: How might I use technology to create and communicate? Well I’ve only done carr so far so I can only answer the driving question for that but its. Art can be used to communicate by writing words but ecology can be used for teaching people sign language stuff like that. Like at my old elementary school disabled kids would get iPads for stuff like that.

Now how can I use art to communicate. When my teacher asked this question I dont think she meant like physically in words I think she might of meant mentally art can give lots of emotions and discribe a story. That’s what famous artists do.

Thank you for reading my blog post I will be doing another one nest week for the Herzog side.

Tectonic Chances Blog Post

Hi blog readers in this blog post I will be talking about our Scimatics project Tectonic Chances. In this project we are m asking a board game about tectonic plates and natural disasters. This is my mid project post so I will only be posting about what we’ve done so far so it wont be the driving question or stuff like that.

At the start of the post ill be talking about making the game spaces and then our game pieces and then making the game board after ill talk about the driving question of the project and finally some questions I have to answer for the project.

This is our game rules me and the rest of our group Owen and Kadin. Chances- when you land on a chance spot you draw from the chance card pile, follow the instructions of the chance card.Volcanoes-  you land on a spot with a volcano on it, and you discover magma flowing through the mantle go back to the start and lose a life.Tsunamis- you land on a tsunami spaces and you discover a converging plate boundary caused it, you have to go back 4 spaces and do what the next space says.Earthquakes- you land on an earthquake space and you discover a convergent plate boundary, skip a turn.Hot spots- you land on a hot spot revealing a hot spot volcano, move forward 2 spaces.Fault lines- you land on a fault lines spot, roll a die trying to figure out what fault it is #1,2 are a reverse fault, #3,4 are a normal fault, #5,6 are a strike-slip fault whatever number you roll is also the amount of spaces you go forward.Slab pull- you land on a slab pull space. Layers of earth- you land on a layers of earth spot, you made a fantastic scientific discovery about the layers of the earth and the the temperature of the core, gain a life.Continental drift- you land on a continental drift space, have reached the end of the world the continent you’re on will float you to safety, you win the game.Continental – continental plates- you land on a continental- continental plates space, 2 continental- continental plates collided creating a mountain go back to the start. Lose a life- you land on a lose a life space, a 7.0 magnitude earthquake killed you, lose a life.Gain a life- you land on a gain a life space, you save someone from a falling tree in an 7.0 earthquake, gain a life.

This is all of our game pieces that we decided as a a group to make.

1 die                                                                                                                                               5 characters                                       36 chance cards

• 6 puddle of death cards-You stepped in a puddle of lava, you lose a life 
  • 6 core of earth cards-You fell into the core of the earth, roll a die to determine how many lives you lose 
  • 6 Convection currents cards- You get sucked into the earth by a convection current switch spots with someone of your choice
  • 6 Transform faults cards- a transform fault appears and starts moving, switch spots with the person closest to you
  • 6 smarts cards-You tested a theory about tectonic plates and were correct, gain a life
  • 6 lawsuit cards-You copyrighted a theory about oceanic plates and someone else used it, you sue them and win the settlement, roll a die to see how many lives you gain.

Making the game board we used materials such as cardboard, felts and hot glue and paper.  Our group had lots of fun doing this part of the project I made the volcano out of cardboard and I put some coloured red paper on it. And kadin put the orange paper on it. Overall I thin the game board turned out really good.

The driving question was how are thematic and mathematical elements used in game design. Well the mathematical elements were used by doing the probability section in the pages document. To do science part we included a bunch of concepts about tectonic plates. I did not really explain it that well so here’s a better explanation we were told to add at least 10 science concepts we did way more than that so that was section of including science to our game. The math part was we had to have at least three probability things we had about 12.

I have to answer a couple  of questions for the project so here they are.                                                                                                                             Evaluating: Demonstrate an understanding and appreciation of evidence. We included way more than 10 key science concepts with all the game pieces and chance cards. Obviously the tectonic plates evidence were used in our game as it has a volcano total wave and a earthquake spot.

Questioning and predicting: Demonstrate a sustained intellectual curiosity about a scientific topic or problem of personal interest. I must admit I did not use all my class time efficiently probably like five percent was not used efficiently as I was caught doing other stuff. But if I was caught doing that I was working productively at the same time.

Understanding and solving: Develop, demonstrate, and apply mathematical understanding through play, inquiry, and problem solving. In each turn a science concept will happen. Here is the probability of that.

• You have a 1 in 6 probability of drawing any chance card from the chance card pile
  • You have a 1 in 6 probability of rolling any number on the die
  • You have a 6 in 30 chance of landing on a chance space
  • You have a 2 in 30 of chance landing on a earthquake space 
  • You have a 2 in 30 chance of landing on hot spot
  • You have a 2 in 30 chance of landing on fault line
  • You have a 3 in 30 chance of landing on a tsunami space
  • You have a 3 in 30 chance to lose a life
  • You have a 2 in 30 chance to gain a life
  • You have a 2 in 30 chance to land on layers of earth
  • You have a 2 in 30 chance to land on slab pull
  • You have a 3 in 30 chance to land on a volcano spot
  • You have a 1 in 30 chance of landing on continental drift
  • You have a 1 in 30 chance to land on the start space 
  • The probability of rolling a 6 and landing on a chance space is 1/6 x 6/30= 6/180 or 1/30
  • The probability of rolling a 1 and landing on a earthquake space 1/6 x 6/2= 6/12 or 1/2
  • The probability of landing on a volcano space and tsunami space 3/30 x 3/30= 9/900 or 1/100
  • The probability of landing on a hot spot space and a slab pull space 2/30 x 2×30= 4/900 or 1/225
  • The probability of rolling a 3 and a 5 1/6 x 1/6= 1/36

I have to also add my mind map its what I knew at the start of the project and then answering some questions.

Thank you for reading my blog post if you would like to check out the members of my groups post its in these links they might have a different approach at the project then I do: Kadin, Owen.

My first exhibition

Hi everyone in this blog post I will be writing about my maker project and my first exhibition as a PLP student also how I liked this project. First I’m going to share the driving question. How can I build and strengthen the PLP learning team. You’ll find the answer for this at  the end of the post. I’ll talk about what I liked most about this project. Then I’ll talk about my experience at the exhibition. after I’ll answer the driving question. and finally ill share my keynote presentation that I showed during the exhibition.

What did I like most about this project? Well I had lots of fun during this project so I’ll have to list lots of things but my favourite is probably. The group work. The group work is my favourite part of all my projects I’ve done so far. In this project we did lots of group work so that was lots of fun. My second favourite part of the project is the exhibition obviously.

My experience at the exhibition. Well in my opinion the exhibition was just a practice exhibition foe us and for the parents it was just to learn more about PLP. At the start of the exhibition was then welcoming speech where our teacher Ms Willemse talked about PLP  to give more info the our parents. And then students came up and said a couple of lines to the parents about PLP (I was one of those kids). After that we went to our tables to do the actual exhibition. I had in total 5 parents come to my table. Out of those five parents 2 gave me critique one of them was my parents and my friend Callum’s mom.

Now to answer the driving question. Was if you forgot “How can I build and strengthen the PLP learning team” ? The answer to that is in my Team Contract post what is in this link. https://www.blog44.ca/keatons/2021/10/14/team-contract                          but if you don’t want to read that the answer to the question is in this picture.

But if you don’t want to read that then I’m Creative, Innovative, and good at giving ideas.

Now Below is my keynote presentation don’t worry the link doesn’t travel you to a website where I’m going to hack you and steel all your  money. 😉

Keynote Presentation Link

Thank you for reading this blog post hope you enjoyed it.

Humanities Project

Hi everyone in this blog post I will be talking about my advertisement project again in humanities. For this project the driving question is What does what we hear and read influence us? You will find the answer at the answer at the end of this post. Yes I have already done a blog post for this project. But in PLP we have to do 2 posts per project, one in the middle of the project and one at the end. If you would like to see that blog post visit: https://www.blog44.ca/keatons/2021/10/16/my-advertisements/

This blog post about my humanities project will be about what I liked most about it, what I took that could be turned into real world learning and then our group ads and finally what I learned from this project.

What I liked most about the project. What I liked most was the way we were able to work in a group the whole time it wasn’t all individual group work. I also liked how we were able to interview people our clients. I also liked how we were able to see examples from the grade nines from last year. I also liked how we were able to get feedback from a professional ad designer, Derick Hepburn.

What I took out of the project that is real world learning. I think what I took outer of the project that can be turned into real world learning was the fact of interviews and revision. The interviews turned into real world learning because of the fact their interviews you use them all the time. You can use them to get a job, to pitch you’re work to you’re boss. You can latterly use them all the time. The revision. In elementary school we would only do revision at the end of each term so 3 times a year. we didn’t really learn how to do revision properly. but in PLP we do revision probably once a week. Revision can be turned into real world problems because you revise everything either in you’re head or on paper.

Our group ad’s. What is a group ad? A group ad is the ad we chose as a group to give to our client, Patricia Houlihan. We all submitted our individual ads and our group voted on them. And then as a group we edited the ad then gave it to Derick Hepburn and Mr Hepburn critiqued them and gave them back to us. After that we revised the ad as a group and added the stuff Mr Hepburn critiqued. here are our group ads. The first ad was Ruby’s ad that we voted on.

After that ad we critiqued it and we got this.

In that ad we put mountains in the background and put the info at the bottom and finally we put in a different font. But we said to ourselves this isn’t quite right so we made a way better ad.

We sent this ad to Patricia and she said she’ll use it! How did I help with this group ad? Well I made the sold signs and made the info at the bottom.

What did I learn from this project. I mostly learned more about PLP and how they do their project the with the Launch section the Building Knowledge section then the Develop and critique section then finally the Present and reflect section which is what I’m doing right now. I’m reflecting. I also learned how to analyze an ad.

I hoped you liked this blog post and ill ad the info of my group members so that you can see their individual ads. http://www.blog44.ca/rubyr/                                                                                                     http://www.blog44.ca/cameronl/        http://www.blog44.ca/frankiem/             http://www.blog44.ca/makair/                 http://www.blog44.ca/callumr/

My advertisements

My Advertisements

For this blog post we did this project in Humanities were worked on making an ad for a business. Our group made ads for Patricia Houlihan. In this blog post you’ll see all the drafts and ads I made.

My first ad I made was Patricia’s head on the body of a boxer. How did I make it? I dragged a picture of a boxer of the internet and then a picture of Patricia of the internet I instant alpha’d both of the pictures to fit together. After I did the instant alpha I coloured her skin on her body. All that took me like probably 45 minutes to make this ad it still has a lot of editing to do but here’re is my product so far. Remember this is my first ad I’ve made so far so it isn’t that great. But here it is.

My second ad was a bit better. I made it so it had a good picture with her head on and she wasn’t shirtless. The slogan was Kung fu houlihan fight for her clients at all costs. The slogan was a bit like the other one. But I like the background on this one with the red text I think it goes well together. it also looks good with the picture. My editing on the last ad was really bad so this one is better.

This was my final ad that I made and I end up using this ad for my final ad. The editing isn’t as good as the first one but I like the slogan a lot more. Because it matches her target audience because “she jumps through all the houli hoops” was like a slogan for people in their fifty’s and sixty’s and that’s her target audience. The background looks really bad in my opinion. The green just doesn’t match the image.

My next ad is the same one just better. I fixed the problem with the editing and made the background better. I put in a new head and new body. I also fixed the text as it wasn’t that good. Meaning it doesn’t look good at all. The text is to small and doesn’t match the houli hoops part. So in the next ad I put in better text and put in a new image and background.

In this ad I put in a new background, image and fixed the text. I put in a new body and in my opinion it looks worse than the other. But the head looks so much better it was just more editable. And the text looks better but not the best still it’s a bit bigger now. In the next ad ill add another background to say she sells houses in the north Vancouver and will put in some better text and edit the image better.

In this ad I put in a way better background and the text looks so much better. So I put in the North Vancouver mountains in the background  and raised Patricia’s name to the top of the image. I also made the text white to make it pop out. now all the text is the same size. I Followed her style of ad and made her name black and slogan white. In the next ad ill put in a new picture to make it look better and not chunks out of her body. I’ll also make the text a bit better and blur the background a bit.

In this ad I put in a way better body. The reason why I did the body was because there was chunks taken out of her old body from the instant alpha. I also slightly blurred the background to make everything else the centre of the image. In the next ad it will be just fine edits like text and the background.

In this ad I made the adjusted the text. I made the colour of the text the same as the 2 other ads her name black and slogan white. I also made the text a bit bigger for her name. I made the slogan text white so it would pop more with the background. And that way it wean well with her style of ad that she’s been using so far. In the next ad ill make the text 3D and ill ad her contact information also make the text bigger.

In this ad draft I edited the text a bit and added her contact information. For her name I made it 3D to completely copy her style of ad and I also made houli hoops finer. I also made her name a bit bigger. I added her contact information and her more than an agent an ally slogan as well as her jobs. So that people now what she does. In the next draft ill get rid of some of the text at the bottom and I’ll add a Memoji that I made for her to make her face look more animated this will be my final draft.

In this final draft I made her a Memoji and edited her contact information. For the contact information I made her slogan smaller and got rid of her jobs as well as deleting some of the website. The Memoji I just made from iMessage to make her face look more animated. In this draft it was just feline tunings.

I hope you enjoyed this blog post and in the comment sections say what ad you liked the most.

About Me

This post will be all about me. Hope you enjoy it.

About me: I love sports mostly physical ones. Like Mountain Biking, Rock Climbing, and Hockey. I also like watching Sunday football with my dad and friends. Football is probably my favourite sport to watch. I also love spending time outdoors. Every time I  went outside I would always come back with dirty hands and knees. Since elementary school I’ve always disliked school. I mean I liked hanging out with my friends like everyone else. But ever since I’ve been at  high school I’ve enjoyed school now I love the PLP program, like the type of learning. I like the freedom for example how you’re allowed to go anywhere you want for lunch as long as you get back for the bell. And the lockers are so cool. Im also not that great with questions I don’t read over the questions. Like for example I will just read like three words of the question and then submit an answer. This kind of sucks for maker projects because for each project we always have a driving question.

Team Contract

Hi everyone. For this Blog post I will be writing about the PLP team contract for my table group and also a little bit about myself.

A team contract explains how team players can contribute to their group project with their own strengths and weaknesses. A team player has to follow the team contract when working on PLP group assignments so our group can work the best as it can. Each team player in the group has to compliment other team players and work together using their strengths and weaknesses to make the best project they can.

What are my strengths and weaknesses?  Well in this blog post you’ll find out.

My strengths for my group are: I’m good at presenting and standing up in front of a crowd to make a public speech. I can memorize speeches as well. I think this is because I practice a lot.  I can also be very vocal in my group. For example, I’m not afraid to share lots of ideas and I’m okay if the ideas are not used. I’m also a fast thinker. I’m good with quick math equations and thinking on the spot if we have a time limit. Another strength is that I am also fluent in French. Which is good and bad…because I need to work on my English grammar which brings me to my weaknesses.

My weaknesses for my group: Are that I’m not that great of a listener. I can either just space out and not listen or I may interrupt you. Yes I know this may be annoying. But there is a solution to this, just remind me to listen and not interrupt. Another weakness that I am working to improve is that I am not super tech savvy. But like most people I love tech. I know a lot about technology in my opinion but when it comes to navigating apps like Basecamp I’m not the guy you want to ask. Once I get more experience using Basecamp and other tech I hope to be better at it.

As part of the group I will be the person that gives ideas and possibly presents if the rest of the group wants me to. I will not be the person that draws I can be good at drawing if I take my time but I’m not that great at taking my time as I get distracted ted easily. I will not be writing the paragraphs for my group as I was in French Emerson in elementary school so we didn’t learn to much about English for example I probably only spent 2 hours a week on English sometimes less sometimes more. So I’m not that great at English grammar. But I’m currently tutoring one of my friends for French so if we ever have to do anything for that in humanities or maker me and this other kid in my table group called Callum were both in French immersion together so we will probably be doing most of the work for French stuff although we will probably never do that. Everyone in the table groups has a certain job or different skill and weaknesses. Our group has a whole bunch of different skills to help their teammates. I expect everyone to pull their one weight and help the group as much as possible.

Below is my Memoji in school we had to make these to represent ourselves. We had to make a Memoji and then put it into keynote after that we had to pull images of the internet that represent us for example I chose a bunch of mountain biking photos. And after that we had to instant alpha the photos to get rid of the background. And then put a white outline around the photos to make it look like a real sticker on your Memoji laptop.

This here is part of my user manual. What is a user manual? A user Manuel is a manual about yourself put into third person and you had to describe yourself as a product. In other words its a couple of pages about yourself. I have two different photos here that I took from my user manual. One picture is about if you have a problem than the solution is also there to help you. The second photo is my settings like I have four different settings its more about myself in other words.

Below is a sketch of what I bring to the PLP table to help my group.

What is PLP?

Most of my blog posts will be about PLP so I think you should know what PLP is. PLP stands for Performance Learning Program this means that the teachers of PLP drives their students to try their hardest to learn. In PLP we don’t really do tests and the ones that we do are just to see where we are skill level. So how do we get graded you ask well. We just do Projects for example currently I have 3 projects. The classes in PLP have different names from other classes like Scimatics which is a mix between Science and math and we have English Maker which is basically English as well with Maker which is our version of electives. I hope you have a good understanding of what PLP is.