“How do people and the environment protect each other?”

Back in business with another assignment and another blog post, This time a little different as always. Our focus for this project was to write to a federal minister about a local issue with the environment, that we can call to action to and help fix. The issue I picked was how local mountain bikers destroy animals habitats and livability. This project was a little different than normal having 3 big milestones rather than 6 or 7 smaller ones. Ill write about the process of making the letter, learning about what we have to write, and finally our experience sending the letter, Let’s get it.

More on my mountain bike issue topic, I’m a mountain biker myself and love getting outdoors and having some fun, but as I said there was a issue with that. Basically the mountain bikers go out to have fun, realize that the trails are getting out of condition, and end up digging brand new trails deeper in the forest than the previous ones they rode. What that does is it digs up dirt right on animals houses, that leaving them no home with a bad living condition. Therefore that may lead to not quite extinction, but an obvious reduce in that animal species. Us humans need those animals to live so we have to treat them how we want to be treated.

That lesson right there was actually a common lit story reference from ‘hey come on out’. These common lit story’s and the connections we had to make from them to our letters was actually a huge part of out project. For those who don’t know common lit is a learning platform where a majority of the assignments are mini stories that we read and have to answer questions on. The assignments that we did on there relate to our letters quite a bit and helped us come up with good content on out letter. While writing to a government minister the last thing that we’d want to happen is him thinking were literal 3rd graders that got taught how to protest and not how to write. I’m glad our teachers exposed us to that kind of learning platform, even though I wasn’t the greatest at it near the beginning, it improved my writing and I feel like I’m better now.

More on letter, I forgot to say I’m writing the the honourable Jonathan Wilkinson who happens to be the minister of the environment and climate change of Canada. The best part is that he is from and lives in North Vancouver so he may have experienced the issue I’m writing about first hand. As I said I started out pretty rough with my writing as you’ll see in my early drafts, and no way will I be able to send that to a minister. In my later drafts I include things like evidence, proper grammar, and a secondary plan in case my call to action doesn’t work. You can see my cal to action and all my improvements in the pictures of my drafts(before on top after of bottom, and I had troubles making a slideshow)

Now that I’m all done writing my letter, now we have to send it. We did this in a pretty cool way by walking down to deep cove to find a mailbox, and drop in in by hand. Ms. Maxwell took a bunch of our photos while at the mailbox to prove we completed this project and just for memories. Thank all of you for taking the time to learn about this project, and you can see my pic down below👇, Cya!

Scimatics game of exponent laws

Hey everyone, Xander here. Another project another blog post. For this project we learned about exponent laws and get better at using with them in equations, then use our new learning to make a board game to present to ours and Mr. Harris’s class which I unfortunately had to miss. We started by making a mind map to show what thoughts we already had about
exponents and what we think we already knew. I found that there were only a few questions I had about exponents because I didn’t know much about them at the beginning of the project. We were then put into partners to start the project. At the Start of the project we started
playing around with different ways to use simple math in a simple game using some dice which got a little bit tricky near the end. This gave us some ideas of what we were going to try to make in this project. We also started working on some practice questions and started to learn each exponent law. We started to make ideas on how our board game would work and what it would be about. It ended up being a candy land type of game which a lot of people ended up doing, but each in our own way. We decided on that candy land game with an exponent style. We then started to put our best ideas together and make some simple rules for the game. We made multiple drafts and were constantly changing important parts of the rules in order to make it easy for players to understand and read.

Then we started to work on our physical game pieces and game board. Patrick spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to print a 10 x 10 row board that is about 22 x 30 inches. He figured that it seemed that the best option was to divide each part of the board onto a separate piece of paper, so the board was divided between 6 pieces of paper. We then got a large cardboard square and stuck the paper on as best we could then write each symbol on the spaces. After the board was done I started to draw the cards that we were going to use for our game they look like this.(up above)

After we drew the cards Patrick printed them at home because he has a coloured printed which is great. We were supposed to have three decks of cards, including of normal deck of cards to be used as number cards. I was supposed to being them in but couldn’t because I was away, so I hope Patrick borrowed from somebody.

Core Competencies:

Reasoning and analyzing: I think that we made a good points system and had a reason for them other that just some points, for example we used them also as an in game currency. I also think that we used logic to create a game that was balanced and fair for the players. The only negative feedback given was that we should have hand made the number cards.

Communicating and representing: We made a clear set of instructions that shows exactly how to play the game that included 4 exponent laws as well as examples of game situations and reference images. I think that our game showed a good understanding of exponent laws and the math involved which was the base of this game and the project.

Applying and innovating: I worked well with my partner and we used each others ideas to create the best product we could have in the time that we had. I think that we both contributed somewhat equally and used our time and were able to make a pretty good game in the that was able to be presented on game day by Patrick. Overall I think that this was a fun project and involved a lot of thinking and creative skills to complete. This was very fun using math in a fun way, and especially exponents because I haven’t used those for a while.

Thanks y’all for reading my blog, and soon I hope that you can try out our game if we keep it and meet up sometime. Have a good one.

Chemistry Coding!

Hey everyone!

I just finished another project in scimatics along
with the rest of my class. This one was a lot
more technical than I would’ve thought for science class but it was still pretty interesting, tricky, and fun. What we had to do was learn about the atoms and how they act if their different states of matter, so we basically focused of the kinetic and molecular theory. Our task was to code a game or simulator using scratch that shows the kinetic and molecular theory. Learning about those theories was the easy part but coding the game took some time, and I had to get help from some of my experienced classmates.Thanks to them I ended up solving my problems and got the code I was looking for. I’m going to go more deep on what exactly I had to code, some struggles I went through during this project and more.

The driving question was how can the behaviour of matter be explained by the kinetic molecular theory and atomic theory? Yes as you may expect we had to answer the driving question, and that answer will be in my game after I visually show it. I’ve taken my game down for now because of technical issues but one I finish everything I will in fact post the link in this post itself.

The curricular competencies are a big part for how I show my learning and how I accomplished this project, and I showed them in many different ways like helping others when their stuck in a code I help them fix it. If you know me personally then you would know that I had to quarantine for two weeks with a few of my friends so that was one of the challenges I faced in this project but that also gave me the opportunity to help some of those friends with the project. I helped Cole dp and Landon a bit and they helped me in return so I’m thankful I had some teamwork involved.

I also unfortunately could not use my class time efficiently cause I was at home but the time I did have I worked my butt off. The main focus of this project were how atoms act in their different states of matter so that’s why I included a few pictures of my drawings which could be called atomic models but those are definitely not top teir. For the mind map you may have to zoom in to see the text sorry, but the top are my pre-project questions, the bottom left are things I already knew before the project, and the bottom right are the things I’ve learned and some answers to those questions. That’s all for this Chemistry coding post so if you have any questions or feedback please leave a comment on this post, see y’a guys!

Growth Mindset Challenge!

Hi everyone! As you may or may no know me and my peers have participated in the growth mindset learning challenge. In this challenge we developed so many new skills which has made a massive positive impact on our other work, and I’m about to explain why. First and foremost we had to learn what a growth mindset is, develop one and go from there. Here’s what we learned in the process to creating the challenge finale product, the growth mindset selfie.

First of all as I said we have to learn what a growth mindset is along as what a fixed mindset is. A fixed mindset is someone who is not open to new ideas and will just think that they can’t do whatever task they’re trying to do and will just give up. A growth mindset is the exact opposite than the fixed. It is being open to new ideas and when they are struggling they might think they can’t do it, YET. Those people lean from mistakes and come back stronger when they fail. Those people also find the positive in the negative like when Tennis player Vitas Gerulaitis lost to the same person 16 times in a row, and when he won he said nobody beats Vitas 17 times in a row. It is also linked with Grit which is another mindset term. That’s the definition of a growth mindset right there, and we had to fit that into school. 

Another big part of this was learning how to deal with and learn about failure. Having a growth mindset will help you learn from your mistakes and make a better product or attempt the next time. Our class read a book on that and it told us to take the best part of all our failures to make one big and great thing that is what you were trying to make the first time. There are also certain things that cause failure that you have to learn from like distractions and mistakes. Personally spelling mistakes and distractions are the two big things I had to learn from to succeed. Things like those are great to put on the growth mindset selfie, as you can see I have. 

We’ve done many reflections on this project that help our learning make sense and make sure that we Are learning in the first place. All four of them were sports related so that shows that playing sports is a great way to develop grit and have grit.

After learning and mastering all those skills we made the growth mindset as you can tell I’ve been talking about. I took a few skills I learned in maker and mastered them by having grit. I used them to trace a picture of my face and make a portrait out of that instead of using my face. In the top bit I put my growth mindset goal which I made from my failures. This has been a very fun and educational experience and will help me accomplish goals in the future by using the growth mindset I’ve developed, although I still have to work on those skills on my selfie.

Day 11, the grand final of the SBC 2021!

So, today is day 11 of the blogging challenge and this is the very last one! I can say I’m exited because I’ve learned so many skills through the past few weeks. Ill talk about what skills I’ve learned and how I put those skills into play later in this post. Today was a free choice challenge so we could’ve picked anything we wanted to write about, but I couldn’t think of anything so I decided to write about everything I’ve already wrote about. Ill talk about each day like a summative post and what unique techniques I used in those days. Before I get started I’d just like to thank the creator of this challenge Kathleen Morris for making this possible and giving us fun new challenges to put our own ideas in and share to the world on our blogs. I’d also like to thank Emily Maxwell my teacher who has helped me understand the blogging world and gave me the knowledge to complete the challenges. Here’s a video of Kathleen telling us what its about and a few students thoughts on it.

Day 1: Updating our blog. On this day we learned a lot about grammar and how to make paragraphs look professional. We already wrote something that we had to edit which was an all about me page. I included a photo of myself and talked about my hobbies, personality, and much more. I embedded the picture in a nice spot so it helps you understand that story better.

Day 2: Quality commenting. We learned how to communicate with grade 9’s who seem like elders by professionally commenting on their blog. We learned that you should introduce yourself and say hi, tell them something that you liked, and maybe ask a question when commenting on a post. TO help inform other people about this technique we made a 3 step poster on how to comment and posted that too!

Day 3: Embedding content. This day was all about pictures, PDF’s, links, and videos. To be completely honest I do not like the blog editor but we learned how to use it today. We had to write about a current event and leave a link to something in it, a YouTube video without a link, and embed a PDF. I wrote it about the Super Bowl so I put a link to the NFL insta, a highlight video, and a pic of the halftime show. I used these skills in almost every other post since.

Day 4: Fun with photos. We were learning about worldview at the time so the task was to pick a photo that connects to an aspect of your worldview, and explain how in words. I chose a picture of me playing baseball and said it connects to values and personally explained. This definitely was a challenge but I got better at describing things using words.

Day 5: Appearance and widgets. As you can see while reading this there is a menu at the top which is a widget. Up there it has all my post titles and they act as links that take you right to the post you click on. You can check out what I did for all these days by clicking on whatever title. All we had to do for this day was add a widget. Most people did a cool widget but I decided to do a useful good looking widget which helped clean up my blog.

Day 6: Music. I did this post on one of my favourite music artists who is juice WRLD. We had many options for this day but I decided to research and inform you guys about him and make a new playlist featuring a bunch of my fav songs that he made. This page took a lot of research so if you ever want to know about him or maybe take a quiz to test how well you know him, go to that day.

Day 7: Emojis. Today we had to work on our storytelling with what we know or have. We got the opportunity to use a website that produces random emojis however many times you want. I did it five times, took those five emojis and made a picture that told a story out of them. This gave m,e a lesson to make the best of what I got.

Day 8: Blog like a boss. We wrote a post a bit like this one with all the skills we had learned at the time in the post. We summarized the how it started how it’s going project which was pretty fun but at the same time a while lot of work. This is where me and many others thought the blogging challenge was going to end but no, it ends now after clarification.

Day 9: Holidays and festivities. This one was another multiple choice day where we got to choose from a few options. I chose to make a photo collage of my family during Christmas since my family is pretty normal and does not do anything unique. We didn’t learn any new skills for the last few days but we got to apply out learning in all of them which was fun.

Then it takes us to today. If you stuck around for this whole things thank you and I hope you learned a bit about the student blogging challenge 2021. As I said in one of the other days feel free to go check out my actual posts on those days. We also got a certificate of completion which is right down below ans also go to my Home Page or click my menu to do so. Can’t wait for the SBC 2022!

Juice WRLD Music

Hi everyone! Today I’m doing a little post about music. Specifically one of the most popular artists in the past few years for teens, Juice WRLD. Ive researched a bit about him and know that he is a rap artist that started to make songs in 2015 then blew up in early 2019. Since

then he has always been a teen favourite music artist, and one of my personal favs. His most popular songs include Lucid Dreams, Wishing Well, Robbery, and All Girls Are The Same. His most recent songs had very good background music that was more on the pop side of music, and younger kids got interested in his music which gave him a pretty big popularity boost. Many people were sad because Unfortunately he passed late 2019 six days after his birthday. But some positive came from the negative, people heard about his death, found his music, and got hooked. Luckily he recorded hundreds of songs before his death so his producers will keep on coming out with new songs from him to keep his clout and please fans. His favourite number was 999 because 666 in the bible is the mark of the beast but 999 means taking whatever bad situation and turning it into something positive. Most of the older audience will not know about him but for the teens who do, here’s a little quiz to see if you really know him

https://forms.gle/TW35c9RMTuW8kNf86

I hope you learned a little bit about Juice WRLD from this and if you want leave a comment for hope you did on the quiz. Sorry they were a little bit hard but I will now know who the true fans are. I will leave a link to a playlist I made of my favourite songs from himso you can check out his music if he sounds interesting, and another that takes you to his professional profile on Spotify. Check out the links down below and have a good day everyone.

Professional Spotify profile: 

https://open.spotify.com/artist/4MCBfE4596Uoi2O4DtmEMz?si=hzLDnNrTQ8C3Ohoi0G9IBg

My playlist:

How It Started/How It’s Going Project Reflection

Hey everyone! Happy to announce that me and my piers have finally finished the how it started/how it’s going project. Our task was to create a meme about worldview that relates to the Renaissance or medieval times. On the how it started side we had to pick a piece of art from one of those two times that represents one of the seven worldview aspects. Those aspects are society, economy, values, time, geography, knowledge, and beliefs. On the how it’s going side we had to recreate that photo by putting our face in the photo, and changing a few things in the photo to show how our worldview has changed over time. My specific aspect was geography, so I had to change geographic aspects in the photo. Talk more about that later in the proof of learning section. The biggest part of the project like always is the driving question that I had to answer. The question was what can we learn from the past, and why does it matter to us today. There are plenty answers to this question, and because of that everyones will be different. Here’s a bit more proof that I’ve learned about enough to answer the driving question and make the final product.

Evidence of my learning:

All of the learning that’s happened in this class was straight from Petra and Emily but I’ve taken the knowledge they’ve given me and put it into stepping and milestones. I’m not going to talk about every one which I have don’t int the past, but here’s a few key things from them. We had to make a collage for milestone 2 and that played a big role in the whole project. That’s when we first learned about worldview and attempted to share our personal worldview on different aspects using mostly pictures. That was good practice for the final meme we had to create. We also had a little test along the way which was a challenge. We had to use all the cornell notes we took which is just writing down stuff you learn in an organized way. It was sort of an open book test because we could have our notes open, but if we wrote out notes poorly it would be a bit harder. The notes were just all of my learning written down so I wouldn’t have to remember, I just had them. There were many other important things but they were all related to those one way or another. 

Curricular Competencies:

Empowered Learner: How might I use technology to construct knowledge? PLP is very technology related but during this project we learned to use a few new apps and editing software. My favourite was SuperimposeX, it was a little like photoshop but a little different in many different ways, and I liked those ways. It made the final edits flawless and it was easy and fun to do in the process. I will definitely use this in the future.

Establish Historical Significance: How do we make choices about what is worth remembering?Normally when I read something I pay very close attention and think deeply about it. When researching about those people, places and events, and write down the significant info down in my cornell notes so I don’t forget.

Responding to Text: Have I constructed an original personal, critical, and creative connection between myself, the text, and the world with supportive credible evidence? This competency was definitely more on the challenging side of the three but the cornell notes saved me again. What I do is taken my knowledge and opinions from there and transform it into a text for whatever topic were on. I often write the source in my notes so I have credible evidence.

The final product:

The final product/goal for this whole project was to make a museum that showcases our art on the worldview aspects we were given of our worldview. As I mentioned at the start it was almost a before and after picture from the Renaissance times to now showing how my worldview on Geography is and how it’s evolved from then. I was a room designer so I got to design the geography rooms 3D objects, the floor, the wall colours, painting placements and much more. I gave them to the techy and they executed the blueprint. Every other aspect did the same thing and that’s how the museum was made. The museum also shows everyone’s art that’s in PLP 8 I’ll leave a link so you can go check it out. Also here a picture of my personal art that you can fin in the geography section. Hope you all enjoy the museum and have a great day.

Check out the museum here:

PLP 8 Museum

Fun With Emojis!

This photo may look very simple and an amateur photoshop job but trust me it has a bit of backstory. The big part of the challenge today was picking randomly generated emojis and making a story or art piece out of it. I chose to make some art but to be honest the photos were very hard to make because of the emojis that were randomly chosen. I reset the generator hundreds of times but then I kind of gave up. I did one last time and dealt with it. I saw the devil and angel emojis and that gave me an idea. Bart to other people is a nice little kid but inside where nobody can see he is a little devil. Nobody can see the bottom of the skateboard so thats why I put the devils there. I put the angles on the end because you can see there. I also put the happy emoji on his head so you can tell he is having a good time riding his skateboard. I put his favourite desert ice-cream on his shoes, because he came straight from his house eating ice cream and stepped on it when he got told his skateboard was fixed, now its stuck on his shoes. This may be confusing and a bit silly but thats just how I am.