TPOL 2022

As my Grade 10 school year is ending, I’m looking back and thinking about how things went for me. Overall, Grade 10 was a good year. I think I did better work and had a better attitude.

In my M-Pol, I mentioned that one of my weaknesses as a student is getting distracted in class. I often get lost in my thoughts or get sidetracked by what’s happening around me. This makes it hard for me to focus on what the teacher is saying. But in the second half of the year, I think I found a better balance. I still like spending time with my friends, but I realized that I need to control it. I understood that there’s a time for socializing and a time for working. Sometimes I still get distracted and off task, but I’m getting better at staying focused.

Another area where I wanted to improve is my motivation and focus when I have to deal with difficult subjects or topics that I don’t find interesting. It’s easy to feel discouraged when things get tough, and I struggle to stay motivated in those situations. I have improved a bit, but I’m not consistent yet. This past week was challenging for me, especially when it came to staying motivated. The end of the school year is so close, and it’s hard to stay focused because I’m almost there but not quite. So next year, I can aim to do better in this area.

This year all of my classes were supposed to be PLP classes but something got messed up in my schedule so I ended up having to do PGP/careers online. That also meant I had to do math at the same time as my other four classes which made it very hard to balance with an hour of homework every night and baseball on top of that. If I look back at the learning plan I made at the beginning of the year, I can see that I wanted to do well and achieve high grades

Disney Field School (maker/humanities) 

During April of 2023, my PLP 10 class embarked on a 10-day trip to Florida, specifically to Disney World. Although it was incredibly enjoyable this experience wasn’t just a regular vacation, it involved a significant amount of work before and after we boarded the plane.

Originally, this project was a collaborative effort. Groups were formed to delve into the study and research of how Disney’s theme parks shape and impact the cultural, economic, psychological, and social experiences of its visitors.

I meticulously planned out my shooting schedule and locations, as time management became crucial, especially when you’re in Disney Land. I filmed close to everything I saw capturing a wide range of clips, it was better to have too much film than not enough. After gathering all my footage, I edited it together and created some outstanding videos. 5 of those videos were trend style tiktok videos and the other bit of film I used in my groups documentary of the magic of Disney, which was a whole different piece of work. Once we had gathered a Personal Knowledge Manager (PKM) full of valuable information, we began working on scripting and storyboarding our video, which we would film during our time in Florida. The video was full of Disney magic clips, telling stories all voiced over and explained by me and my group.

5 Trend Videos/TikTok!🕰️

Save Juno Beach (Humanities)

This project was a bit odd in my opinion. It was a topic of interest to me, and while I did learn a lot, the execution of the final product was confusing. In this humanities project, I carried the organization practices that I had developed in the Disney project and used it to much effectiveness. This project used a lot writing and composition which proved to be a dare I say boring. Regardless, it was about the process and the learning where I picked up some knowledge on what rhetoric is.

The final product was a written argument about the significance of Juno Beach and why its conservation should be protected at all costs. I think I created a compelling argument using specific rhetoric and emotion. Because I finished early a lot of my time was then spent on revisions, a very important part of creating good work. The criteria of revisions was 2, but just wanted to make sure that my work was the best it could be so I made 5 separate revisions, each with a list of details and things that were changed. Even though the final product might have not been as exiting as I hoped it would be, its always nice to have some balance, because whether I like it or not, writing is very important in everything that I do in school.

Podcast (maker)

I recently started learning about podcasts and their positive influence on people. It’s been an exciting journey of discovery for me. I’ve realized that podcasts have the power to inspire and make a difference. They can share interesting interviews, meaningful discussions, and uplifting stories. I’m amazed at how they can spark important conversations and bring about positive change. This motivated me to create my own podcast called “Commotions and Contracts.” In this podcast, I focus on athletes’ personal lives, their struggles, and their successes. I want to show their human side and share their inspiring stories with others.

To make my podcast even better, I’ve been learning about a cool software called GarageBand Live Loops. It’s been quite an adventure! With GarageBand Live Loops, I can experiment with different sounds, rhythms, and melodies. It’s like creating my own music! This software helps me enhance the storytelling in my podcast, making it more engaging and immersive for the listeners. I’m really enjoying exploring this creative tool and finding ways to bring the emotions and experiences of athletes to life through captivating soundscapes.

With “Commotions and Contracts,” I’m combining my love for sports, storytelling, and the power of podcasts. My goal is to entertain, educate, and inspire my listeners. I want to share the personal journeys of athletes and show that they’re more than just their athletic achievements. They have faced challenges, overcome obstacles, and learned important lessons along the way. Through my podcast, I hope to make a positive impact and contribute to the world of podcasting. Although it was fun while it lasted I doubt I’m going to continue it outside of

Wrap Up

One area I really want to focus on improving next year is submitting assignments on time. I still tend to procrastinate and struggle with staying on top of my work consistently. That has always been my biggest struggle in school and every year I keep saying that I’m going to fix it for the next year, but I never take any action. Most of the time, I feel overwhelmed with my workload, so in Grade 11, I need to prioritize my personal productivity, especially when faced with difficult tasks. Also what I can do is whenever I have a baseball game, come into tutorial the next morning. That will benefit me because doing my work at 11pm will not be me best product, so doing it the next morning bright and early will be my best work.

Last year, I recognized some socializing issues in the classroom that were affecting my learning. This year, I made a genuine effort to improve in this aspect, and so far, I believe I have made progress. I’ve been more focused, less distracted, and less disruptive during class. However, I won’t deny that I still face occasional challenges with staying focused, but I’ve reached a point where it no longer hinders my work. Nevertheless, I need to be more considerate of others’ work when I find myself getting distracted in those situations.

This year has been one of my best in terms of learning. I feel like I’ve made significant personal and academic growth. The work I’ve completed this year is some of my best ever, and with each new project, I gain valuable insights and lessons that I apply to future tasks. I can confidently say that I am extremely proud of my progress this year. 

Even know I am leaving PLP I will continue to carry all of the things PLP has taught me through the years into mainstream schooling, by using all the apps like things and craft to help me stay organized with all my classes, and whoever I have a project to make or essay to write I can used the iPad skills I learned to take my work to the max. So thank you to all the teachers that have educated me and helped me grow as a person over the last three years. Thanks for listening to my tpol.