Exponents Aren’t Actually That Confusing

Hello everyone!

It has been a veryyyy long time since I last posted. Summer break ended about a month ago and I was quite busy so I didn’t have time to post anything. I went on a few road trips and a few camps. I watched a lot of Netflix and ate too much junk food. Anyhow, enough about me and more about school. So, in the past month we have been in Scimatics. Me and my parter Clare have been working on an exponent game. Below are all the steps we took. The Milestones, competencies, etc. You know the drill. 

Driving Question: How does math make games more complex, interesting, and re-playable?

Answer: Math makes games more complex by adding different dimensions to them and making the players think harder.

First off we started by generating game ideas. We had some dice and were asked to come up with a math game. This was a good way to start the project because we started to get our creative juices flowing. We came up with a few good ideas that we eventually tweaked and combined to become our final game.

A pretty important stepping stone was our MindMap. It was where we gathered all of existing knowledge and put it into one place. I think this was a good way to get ready for the project because we organized our thoughts and we saw what we had left to learn.

I’m going to skip over the middle Milestones because they were all just building knowledge and learning more about exponents which is boring. Anyhoo, Milestone five was very important. It was where we submitted out final game rules and where we handed in a competed game. This is what we would get our evaluation feedback on.

Here are some pictures of people playing our game:

On the last day of our project, we swapped classrooms with the other Scimatics class across the hall. They played our game and we played the ones that they had come up with. It was really interesting to see what other people had come up with given the same instructions that we had.

Curricular Competencies:

Ahhhhh yes. This is the moment you have all been waiting for. The Curricular Competencies. It has been a while since I last talked about these (about 4 months), so I will take it upon myself to fill you in. Curricular Competencies are basically a way to evaluate your project. Each time we get a new assignment, we also get new criteria. 

Below is what our criteria was for this project:

So usually when I talk about the Curricular Competencies, I go over how I think I did on them. For example, one piece of the criteria was time management. I would give an example of how I excelled at that in class.

Ok, so now we’re actually going to talk about the Curricular Competencies.

Reasoning and analyzing (a clear and simple point system):

I think we did quite well on this. Every time you won a turn, you got a token. First one to 12 tokens won the game. Overall, I think our point system was very simple and was easy to understand. I don’t think there’s that much more to say then I think we had a clean and simple point system.

Communicating and Representing (clear instructions and 4 exponent laws in your game):

Ok, so I think this where we might have struggled a little bit. Our instructions were proof read many times and everyone said they were easy to understand, so that checks off. However, integrating 4 exponent laws into our game was harder. We had 3 solid ones (quotient of a power, product of power, power of a power). However the fourth one was harder. We had the 0 exponent law, but it was definitely not as well put in the game. I think that is something that we could have worked on a little bit more. Getting our final exponent law in our game.

Applying and Innovating (time management and staying on task):

I think I did well on this. One of my besties was sitting right behind me (Brooke) and I never got distracted. I also stayed on task almost every class. I might have gone down some rabbit holes while researching our game, but who doesn’t? In the end thought, I think I did a great job managing my time and staying focused.

Jeepers! That was a long post. Longer then usual…anyhow, I learned so much in this project. I skipped over it, but we did a lot of building knowledge and developing our game ideas. I learned a lot exponents and how they work. We also did a regular high school styled test which is going to prepare me for future tests like that. 

Thank you for reading this post and I hope you have a good days!

Best wishes,

-Dana

P.S. Oops! Ha well I forgot to link our final game rules in here, so if you want to check it out click this link…The no name exponent game!

Tuberculosis on the Run!!

Hello everyone and welcome back to another exciting blog post! As this school year is coming to end, so is another project…in the past few weeks, I have been working on a comic book that shows the interaction between the tuberculosis (TB) bacteria and the body. Below are my thoughts on this project, as well as my final project (a comic book). I hope you enjoy!

Driving Question: How do cells and diseases interact?

Answer: I explained this in my comic book by showing how the neutrophils cells fight off the tuberculosis bacteria as well as how the bacteria evade the neutrophils blood cells.

Milestone 1 started this project because we laid down all of our ideas. We put down questions that we had about bacteria, the project, or really anything that had to do with this project. We also wrote down what we already knew. 

Here’s my MindMap:

Milestone 2 and 3 weren’t that important, so I will mostly just talk about Milestone 4. Here, we had to put down all of our ideas into a basic story board. We had to make sure that we used at least 10 key scientific words and that we included accurate scientific information. The drawing didn’t have to be on Van Gogh level, but it had to be good enough that you could understand what was going on. And thank goodness it didn’t have to be amazing art because…well…my story board art needed a little bit of TLC.

Milestone 5 was where we had to make the final (good) copy of our comic book. I feel like mine turned out pretty well (definitely not Van Gogh level of art), but still, I like how mine turned out. I feel like I could have done a better job using backgrounds (because I didn’t really have any). However, I really did enjoy making my final comic.

Scimatics comic

Curricular Competencies:

Questioning and predicting:

Overall, I think I did quite well on this. Even though I was partnered with my best friends (Makenna and Brooke), I still got all of my work done early. I also think working with them was good because they weren’t afraid to tell me if things didn’t make sense in my comic or if something needed to be changed.

Scientific communication:

I did well on this competency because I used all of my vocabulary correctly and I had more then 10 key scientific words spread throughout my comic. I also think that I used my vocabulary in an interesting way that engaged the viewer but also taught them about how tuberculosis bacteria and cells interact.

Evaluating:

Throughout my story, all of the characters interact in a scientific way. I also integrated two diagrams into my story in a cool way. One of them was a diagram of what the tuberculosis bacteria looks like and the other one was of the lymphatic system.

Anyhow, thank you for sticking with me throughout this long post. I hope you found my project interesting and I hope you like my final project! If you have any questions about anything that I did, please feel free to comment!

Best wishes,

-Dana

P.S. I hope everyone has a good summer!

P.P.S. You’d think I would be better at this by now, but I couldn’t figure out how to add my final comic in properly so I just added in a PDF (sorry!)

The Ultimate Bedroom Setup Noº1

Hello there! Welcome back to my blog! I have been working hard on a recent project and I am excited to share it with you…there was a lot of math involved so please stay with me. The end product is super cool. We used a website called TinkerCad to 3D model an object.

Driving Question: How can I design a bedside table for maximum volume?

Answer: I created a bedside table for maximum volume by calculating what the surface area to volume ratio was

The Milestone that really kicked off this project was the first one that we did. In Milestone 1, we had to pick an object that we wanted to recreate as a 3D object. We then had to decide whether it was intended for maximum volume or maximum surface area. If you were working with partners (like I was), we had to create a set of 3D objects that went together. Me and my 2 other partners decided to do the Ultimate Bedroom Setup. I picked to do a bedside table (for maximum volume), Makenna picked a bookshelves (for maximum volume), and Brooke picked a bed (for maximum surface area, but it ended up having more volume).

The next Milestone that put this project into motion was Milestone 3. Here, we did all the calculations and filled in all the formulas that we had created in Milestone 2. This was probably the hardest part of the whole project because we had to do a lot of math.

Here’s what my calculations looked like for the bedside table:

As you can see, there was a lot of calculations and math involved…I would like to take a minute here to personally think my calculator for being there for me throughout all of these hard equations.

Anyhow, Milestones 4 was having your object 3D printed, however there were a lot people that need to be printed, not everybody’s got printed. I think only about three or four peoples ended up getting printed. Mine was not one of them.

Milestone 5 was where we presented the final product to the whole class. I think we did very well on this as we practiced a lot. We forgot to record ourselves presenting to the class, so here is a re-creation of what we did.

Curricular Competencies:

Contribute to self, others, community, and world through personal or collaborative approaches

I did very well on this competency. Me and my friends worked together on this project. Even though we are friends and we could have talked and been unproductive the whole time, we came together and kept each other on task. We also bounced ideas off one another and gave kind, helpful, and specific feedback to improve our final product.

Model mathematics and contextualized experiences

My final project was created using the website TinkerCad. While designing it, I always had maximizing the volume in mind. My bedside table included 10 different shapes (rectangular prisms and cylinders). My partners and I all created matching pieces of furniture that were a set.

Explain and justify mathematical ideas and decisions

As you can see from Milestone 3, we calculated the volume and surface area. We also compared the surface area to volume in a ratio in our keynote presentation which is linked above as well. All of our calculations were well explained and written in our final presentation.

Wooow! That was a long post and a lot to talk about! I’m sure I missed some small detail somewhere because there was so much to talk about…so feel free to let me know if I did! I really enjoyed this project because I got to work with my friends to make something I’m super proud of. Also it’s kind of fun looking back to the beginning of this project because I can see how much I’ve learned! From learning new math equitations, to using TinkerCad, to learning how to better present! Thanks again for sticking with me till the end of this post, I hope you enjoyed!!

Best wishes,

-Dana

P.S. I almost forgot!! Here’s what our final products looked like:

Mine:

Makenna’s (which got 3D printed):

Brooke’s:

P.P.S. Thank you so much to Makenna and Brooke! You guys are the best and I could not have done this project without you!

The Life of an Atom

Driving Question: How can the behaviour of matter be explained by the kinetic molecular theory and atomic theory?

Answer: I answered the Driving Question by making a simulator that simulated atoms and molecules in different states of matter. My simulator also displayed the kinetic and atomic theory.

Welcome back to my blog! I hope everyone has been good in my long absence, but I am back again with another post! We switched quarters a few weeks ago, and ever since then, I’ve been working hard on a new project. In this new project, we used the app Scratch to code a game or simulator that represented particle motion and states of matter that answered the Driving Question.

I think Milestone 1 definitely was a good starting point for this project because we laid out all of our ideas in a MindMap. We came up with questions that we had and wrote them down. 

Here’s my starting MindMap with my questions:

Here’s what I now know after completing this project:

The next Milestone that really brought some motion (haha, get it?) into this project was Milestone 3. Here is where we took a short test to see how much we had learned so far. In between Milestone 1 and 3, we did a lot of workbooks and building our knowledge. We learned about the kinetic molecular theory and the atomic theory. We learned about states of matter (gas, solid, and liquid). We also learned about the people who, over the centuries, came up with these theories. The test that we took would show us that we still had a lot more to learn if we were going to complete an accurate particle game/simulator. 

Milestone 4 was where we brought together all of our knowledge and put together a basic plan for what we wanted our game/simulator to look like. In the end, I decided to go with a simulator because it would make for an easy way to take in a lot of information while still including all the requirements. 

Here’s what my basic idea was:

Curricular Competencies:

Demonstrate a sustained curiosity about a scientific topic or problem of personal interest

I think I did very well on this competency. An example of where I showed this skill was when I went to work with my friends, I still worked efficiently. I still got all my work done on time. Also, the people I was working with helped me grow my ideas and expand them.

Communicate ideas, finding, and solutions to problems using scientific language, representations, and digital technologies

The best way that I showed this in my project was when I coded my simulated particles to bounce off one another. I feel like this was a way that I represented my particles in a more scientifically accurate way. 

Use logic and patterns (including coding) to solve puzzles and play games

I used this skill to code my entire simulator (which you can find here). I used reasoning and logic to come up with an original code that made my simulator run smoothly. I also used logic to help come up with the best way to make my simulator run and make it look good.

Here’s a tidbit of what my code looks like:

Anyhow, thank you for staying with me through this long post! I hope you enjoyed reading about matter and simulators. I really enjoyed this project because it gave me a new angle on coding and it taught me a lot about the kinetic molecular theory and the atomic theory. This was a big project and a long post, so if I forgot to say something, or something wasn’t clear, please comment!

Best wishes,

-Dana

P.S. If you missed it, here’s my final project

History? How Boring…

Driving Question: What did European Settlement mean for all the people involved?

Answer: European settlement changed the lives of all the people involved. Although there have been changes such as the European and First Nations’ lives no longer being based around trading, the concept of supply and demand still impacts big companies today.

Welcome back to my blog! I haven’t written in a while, but I’m back! The past project that we just finished was suppper fun! Isn’t that infographic above so cool? Haha well if you liked that, then read the rest of this post! I will be explaining all the steps me and my partner took to create this very snazzy infographic. Well, at least I think it was…our project was about European Settlement in Canada, which you will be hearing a lot about throughout this post. 

So basically in this project, we had to create an infographic about European Settlement. Click here to find out more about infographics. My initial reaction to this project was this is going to be soooo boring, I’m going to hate this. However, I was proven VERY wrong later on in this project. Also, I was super lucky to be paired with one of my best friends for this project, Makenna, so that definitely made it really fun. Anyhoo, lets get into this post!

I think what really started this whole journey off was the introduction to Milestone 1. In order to have a successful Milestone 1, we learned about Continuity and Change and the history of Deep Cove. Now you might be wondering “Dana, what even was Milestone 1?” Well Milestone 1 was a 1-2 page reflection on the constants and changes in the North Vancouver/Deep Cove area. In this Milestone, we had the opportunity to demonstrate the Curricular Competency identifying Continuity and Change. Overall, I think I did ok for this Milestone seeing as it was the first time I had learned about Continuity and Change. 

The next Milestone really changed the course of this project and it was Milestone 3. In the time span between Milestone 1-3, we learned about what makes a good infographic and and we learned waaaaay more about European Settlement. We also learned about aesthetics. We had to create graphics that matched our pre-determined infographic. Below is the template we had to use:

Here’s what makes a good infographic: 

• Tells a good story
  • Take your users on a predefined journey – simple
  • Provides a new angle 
  • Practical value – inform, bring them something they didn’t know
  • Content should be well structured – easy to understand
  • Sends one key message – don’t make it too complicated
  • Visually appealing – clear title 
  • Accurate & well researched
  • Make text short and sweet – don’t copy paste content

Milestone 3 was basically we had to come up with three graphics and three facts to add to our infographic. Here are the three graphics we created:

1.

2.

3.

And here are the three facts:

The French:

The French were allies with the Haudenosauenee. The alliances with the First Nations helped the French become very successful in the fur trade and changed the French people’s lives because they relied on the First Nations to provide them with new resources.

The First Nations:

The First Nations lives changed when the fur trade began. They would hunt and make ready made beaver pelts to trade with the Europeans. In return, they received European goods like guns and other steel items that made their everyday lives easier.

The British:

Hudson’s Bay Company was based around the concept of supply and demand, and still is today. Supply and demand is when the more scarce and desired a resource is, the more valuable it becomes. During the fur trade, beaver pelts became more expensive as the beaver population decreased. 

Later on, we would come back to these facts and graphics and revise them many, many, many times. In this Milestone, we had the opportunity to, again, demonstrate identifying Continuity and Change. Overall on this competency, I think I had grown a lot since Milestone 1. I showed that I could identify Continuity and Change through my facts. A new competency that we were introduced to in Milestone 3 was Using Evidence. In Milestone 3, I feel we did quite well on this. We provided sources for all our information. We also backed up what our facts were say with research. 

Another Milestone that was super course changing in this project was Milestone 4. This is what you saw at the top of the page. It was when we added everything that we had done throughout this project, and put it all together to make one super awesome infographic. In between Milestone 3 and 4, we tweaked and poked at our graphics and facts until we got them just how we like it. Basically what I’m saying is we revised our infographic more then I care to admit…anyhow this Milestone shaped what our final product would look like. I think this is where you can really see my growth as a learner from Milestone 1 up until this point. In Milestone 1, I had just learned about Continuity and Change and about the history of Deep Cove. But now, in Milestone 4, I was pretty much a pro at European Settlement and Continuity and Change. In case you missed it, here’s our final infographic (again, and if you can’t tell, I’m very proud of our work):

As a side note, you may see that we have a QR on our infographic, click here click here to see what it is.

Milestone 5 was pretty short. All we did is we got our final infographic printed out (thanks Ms. Maxwell!) and we hung them up around the school. Below is the picture of me and my partner Makenna standing with our final infographic that we had to hand in:

Anyhooo thanks for reading my post! As you can tell, I have learned so much from this project about European Settlement, Continuity and Change, and about infographics! This was as huge project so if I missed something, please be sure to let me know in the comments and I will add it in (make sure to follow my commenting guidelines). Thanks again for stopping by!

Best wishes,

-Dana

P.S. Big shout out to my parter Makenna! This infographic would not have looked half as good if you hadn’t have been there!

P.P.S. Here’s what I got on each Milestone and the feedback I got:

⚠️Warning: Stormy Seas and Bad Pirate Jokes Ahead⚠️ 

What’s up everyone…hello and welcome back to this blog! This project was about European exploration, pirates, and the effect it had on the world – past and present. As you may know, every project has a driving question, so for this project, ours was “What was the impact of global exploration?”. Throughout this post, I will be taking you on the journey of this project, as well as telling you where I took risks, where I think I had a First Attempts In Learning (which means to FAIL). I will also be sharing my overall thoughts and opinions on this project and the answer to the driving question. Also – stick around until the end of this post for the super cool final product of this project…

One of the most important Milestones that we did was Milestone 1. This is where we first started learning how to use AR (augmented reality) Makr which is a really cool and simple app where you can make 3D objects and place them in real life (within your iPad of course). In here, we learned about story spines which is basically the “Once upon a time” type of format. So, we had to make a really quick and short AR Makr film about anything that we wanted, using the story spine of course. Mine followed Larry through his death by paint fumes (I talked about Larry and his tragic death in one of my other posts, click here to read more about Larry’s life and death). This Milestone taught me the importance of having a beginning, middle, and end. It also taught me the basic skills of AR Makr (which I would develop later on in this project).

🏴‍☠️ Why is pirating so addictive?

🏴‍☠️ They say once you lose your first hand, you get hooked!

Next, was Milestone 2. This is where we built our knowledge of cause and consequence, which is what our whole (very short one and a half week) project revolved around. Cause and consequence is basically the idea that there is an underlying issue, then there is an immediate cause, then the “event”, whatever that may be, then the immediate consequence, and then the long term effect. All of these things that I just stated connect to the age of exploration because the age of exploration was the main event! And it had a bunch of underlying issues and long term consequences that you can see in the diagram below:

Milestone 3 was the last and most important Milestone that we did. During Milestone 2, we had many lectures in which took a lot of notes that we would use in this Milestone. Anyhow, now you might be wondering what was Milestone 3? Well this Milestone would be the final project!    This is where we came up with our story spine and objects that we would put in our final AR Makr video. I think that by doing the story spine and voicing over in my final video, I showed that I was had developed my speaking skills.

🏴‍☠️ How did the pirate get his Jolly Rodger so cheap?

🏴‍☠️ He bought it on sail

I think the most risky thing that I did was deciding to draw all of the images in Keynote. I had never used Keynote to draw pictures, only to make slideshows. But in the end, my images turned out amazing. This risk definitely paid off!

Our final AR Makr video had to re-tell the story of European exploration. We had to use objects that we had drawn in Keynote (as I talked about above). I had to redo my video multiple times due to location errors (likkkke the shot I got in front of the dumpster that had to be re-done) and some technical issues (like the whole video deleting itself), but overall my final video turned our pretty poggers (if you don’t know what poggers means, click here). I think I definitely showed that I was an empowered learner here because I used AR Makr and Keynote to create a story that not only was informative, but was also aesthetically pleasing.

As I sit here and ponder the answer to the driving question; I find that it is not as straight forward as one might think. The questions, which is “What was the impact of global exploration?” is actually quite complicated. However, my simplified answer is that because of global exploration, America now produces 1/3 of all the worlds food because of the trading that happened between the Europeans and Indigenous peoples. It also forced Europeans to think outside the box and build new technologies like ships that could sail across the vast ocean that they were exploring. They also came up with new developed tools like the sextant, which replaced the astrolabe in order to sail more efficiently.

🏴‍☠️ What did the ocean say to the pirate?

🏴‍☠️ Nothing, it just waved

Overall, I really liked this short, sweet, and informative project! It was fun to get to learn so much at once. Although obtaining all this new information so quickly was a struggle at times, I ended up learning a lot! Did you know that before Christopher Columbus got funding from Queen Isabella of Spain, he got rejected four times from other countries?! I didn’t know that! Did you? Feel free to comment if you did! 

Best wishes,

-Dana

P.S. I know I’ve been keeping you waiting…but below is my final video. Enjoy!

P.P.S. To all the future PLP Grade 8’s doing this project *whispers* there may be a special treat at the end…

Hint: 🍔🏴‍☠️ 

The Sadness of the Last Day :(

What’s up y’all? Well, maybe I shouldn’t start this post in such a happy manor…today marks the day of a very sad day…today is the last student blogging challenge post *dramatic sad music plays*. Anyhow, today’s post will be looking back at some of my favourite student blogging posts that I have done. I will be saying where I think I had First Attempts In Learning (which means to FAIL), and where I think I did the best. Throughout this post, I will be sharing where I think I took the most risks. I will also be sharing my thoughts on how I think I improved as a writer, and as a learner. 

Here, I talked about worldview. For more info about that (it’s a hugggggge topic) you can check out my specific blog post here, or you can visit this website to get and overview about worldview. Again, like the post before it, I applied my knowledge of worldview because, once again, in the project we were doing whilst I was writing this post, we were learning about worldview. 

Below is the picture that I put in that post:

Next up is my favourite post that we were prompted to do…we had to create a story out of emojis (my post was called Death By Paint Fumes). It sounds weird, and it was weird…which is why I loved it! We were taken to this really cool website that randomly generated emojis. We were then told to take those emojis and make a story out of them. I really like this post because we got to think on our feet and come up with a funky story.

Below are the emojis that I had to use when creating my story:

This next one is pretty cool. In this post, we got to do whatever we wanted to. This could be from a journal entry to reviews to a reflections about really anything. For this post, I chose to write a letter to my future self, explaining what’s happening in my life right now. I think this one was fun because I added a little bit of humour. I also feel like I did a pretty good job recounting my life right now.

This is my letter that I wrote to my future self:

Overall, I think that I learned some very important writing skills. The most important ones that I practiced were the 6 plus1 writing traits. The 6 plus 1 writing traits are as follows: 

I think that I could have gone a little bit more in-depth with all of my posts. I also think that I could have made all of my Student Blogging Challenge posts more consistent in their appearance and writing.

I think one of my posts that didn’t go so well was the ✨Just Vibing✨ one. I think that I could have gone more in-depth because I have very little writing. Also, I think I could have added in more media than I did.

I think a post where I took a lot of risk was my Death By Paint Fumes post. I really this it was a risk to get a random prompt to write about. I mean, one of my friends got a caterpillar, a high five, a bee, a snake, a turkey/chicken leg, and a smiley face. You can check out Brooks’s post here. 

Anyhow, thank you for sticking with me throughout all of my Student Blogging Posts! It has been quite an adventure and I hope you will continue on this journey throughout the rest of my posts!

Best wishes,

-Dana

P.S. Here are all the challenges that we did!

Day 1 – About Me page

Day 2 – Commenting Guidelines

Day 3 – Embedding content

Day 4 – Fun with photos

Day 5 – Appearances and widgets – This wasn’t a post, but we had to add widgets to our blog

Day 6 – Music

Day 7 – Emojis

Day 8 – Blogging like a boss – Again, this wasn’t a post, it was a quick look at our summative blogging skills (we write a blog at the end of every project)

Day 9 – Holidays

Day 10 – Free choice!

Day 11 – And lastly, the post you have been reading…this post! So go ahead and tap on this link to read this amazing post allll over again…

P.P.S. That was Makenna’s 🔥amazing🔥idea for the end so go check out her blog😁

Destination Procrastination (JK)

Hey y’all! Welcome back to my blog! This is going to be a complicated and longish post, but it will have a lot of information in it…please bear with me! 

Ok, so, we came to the end of our latest project about a week ago, but I’m just writing the post right now. Anyhow, our latest project was Destination Imagination (DI for short). DI is basically an international competition where teams from around the world compete against each other. 

In DI, there was four teams. The scientific team, the fine arts team, the technical team, and the engineering team. We did a Google Form and we said which one we wanted to be on. I said and I wanted to be on the fine arts team, and that’s where I ended up. 

Below is what my team had to do:

In DI, you get a challenge. Your job is to come up with a solution. As you could see above, our DI challenge was to create a music video based on a piece of literature. Our team chose Alice in Wonderland as our book. 

Below are the things that had to be included in our music video solution:

• We had to research music videos and create our own music video. A music video was a video that was created by our team. The music/beat and lyrics
  • also had to be created by our team and they had to help retell our story 
  • The story that we chose had to be retold through a music video. It can be part or all of the piece of literature that we chose.
  • We also had to design and create a costume. For this challenge, a costume was a set of clothes, hairstyle, and/or makeup that helps to portrait a single character. We chose Alice to design and create a costume for.
  • We had to choose 3 production techniques that were to enhance our video. We chose to do choreography, close up, and long shots.
  • And finally, we had to present 2 team choice elements. A team choice element shows off your teams interests, skills, areas of strength, and talents. Our two elements was Sara (the March Hare) drawing the map, showing off her drawing skills. Our second one was Julia (Alice) tripping into the splits, showing how good she is at gymnastics.

However, due to COVID-19, we had to compromise and do everything online, whereas before, you would go somewhere and you would preform on stage. But this year, we all had to make videos. 

In DI, there are two parts. One part, which I’ve been talking about, is solving the challenge. The other part is the Instant Challenges. The Instant Challenges are really hush hush so I can’t say anything about it, except that we did one. I wish I could say more, but I can’t. 

There was also a bonus video that we did. Since this year wasn’t in person, the appraisers weren’t able to ask us question about our solution. Because of this, we had to make a short Q&A video answering any questions we think they might have had. Here’s ours:

Anyhoo, thank you for reading! This project has definitely taught me the understanding of team work. It also has given me a lot more appreciation for people who make movies and music videos. Also, thank you to my amazing teammates who made our whole challenge super cool! If you guys want to comment what book or piece of literature you would have picked, please feel free to do so! 

Best wishes,

-Dana

P.S. Here’s our final music video!

P.P.S. We had to take a picture to send into the main office of DI with all of our team mates in it. We had to create a sign and ours turned out pretty snazzy if I do say so myself. Here’s ours!

Mindsets And Me!

Hello everyone! This not going to be a student blogging challenge. Nope, sadly not today. Today, I am going to be talking about growth mindset. This is a really big topic that I could spend a lot of time talking about, but I will keep it short for your sake.

A growth mindset is basically something that you can learn and develop. It is something that your can train to make you more positive and have a more optimistic look on things. For example, you could say ‘I’m horrible at sewing I can’t do it at all’, that would be a fixed mindset (the opposite of a growth mindset). However, if you said something like ‘I’m not great at sewing, yet’, that is having a growth mindset. It may seem small and insignificant, but if you add ‘yet’ to the end of your sentences, you will be more open to trying what your saying (like my example above). 

Grit is also something that is really important in growth mindsets. Grit, which you can read more about here, means to keep pushing through something, even when the going gets hard. For example, if you have read my About Me Page, you will know that I Irish dance. I find it really fun, however it can also be really hard when you’re learning new steps. But, I have grit and push through the hard parts and I come out an even better dancer in the end!

Anyhow, throughout this project about growth mindset, I have been keeping a journal. In it, you can see how my mindset has changed throughout the course of this project. I find it really interesting to see how it changed, just by learning and expanding my knowledge about it. 

This is my journal that I kept in this project:

Growth Mindset Journal

Next, we made a goal/statement about something that we want to get better at in school. We had to make it broad, but specific at the same time. I think that I rewrote my statement like 3 or 4 times before it was approved. But thanks to all the editing, my goal turned out really good.

Below is what my final goal looks like:

As everything in PLP is, our goal was connected to something bigger. Our goal was connected to the next phase our project which was taking a selfie. So basically, we were going to take a selfie of ourselves, and put our goal/statement above our head. We could edit it anyway we wanted, as long as we kept our faces in it, and as long as we had our goal clearly visible. Later, we would print out our selfies and put them up around the classroom, to remind us about our goal. I’m kind of scared to post my selfie around the room, but I will face this head on with a growth mindset (pun intended). 

This is my selfie: 

Wow! This post was pretty short for such a big project…thank you for reading! This project has been a real eye opener to growth and fixed mindsets (mine especially!) If you want to share anything that you have a fixed mindset on and how you think you can improve it, please feel free to comment!

Best wishes,

-Dana

P.S. Here’s a really cool website that talks all about growth mindset

Dear Future Me,

Hey y’all! Welcome back to my blog…today, I am back again with another student blogging challenge. Today’s post can be about anything that you want. I had a hard time coming up with something to write about (because we usually have prompts), but I have decided to write a letter to my future self. I’m not usually into this type of stuff, but I though it would be fun to try something new.

This is the letter (email) that I wrote to my future self:

Hehe, that was fun, wasn’t it. I know I say all of my posts are short, but this one really was a short one…if you have anything that you want to share about what you would say to your future self, please feel free to comment that! Also, any questions that you have please feel free to say them as well!

Best wishes,

-Dana

P.S. You didn’t hear it from me, but stay tuned and keep a growth mindset about our next post…

P.P.S. Check out Makenna’s blog for some fun stuff she’s not doing over summer break, not to mention her talking about her love of chips 💜

1 2 3