Festive Fun – Holiday Traditions

⭐️___________________________________________________________🎄

Most people on earth celebrate holidays around the winter season. Whether it’s Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, or something else, it’s a time when families can come together and enjoy gifts and prosperity. Today, I’m going to talk a little about my own familie’s winter and holiday traditions, along with an original craft that can spice up your holiday season.

For me, winter starts around December first or on the first snowfall; whatever comes first. This is when we turn on our Christmas lights and begin putting up decorations around our house. Some of these include a sleigh napkin holder, holly garlands, a Christmas village, and of course our Christmas tree. As for food, our family commonly has egg nog and hot chocolate around the house. My favourite though, is when we make gingerbread houses which we can eat a little of each day.

As Christmas approaches, we start to decorate our Christmas tree with a large collection of ornaments we have gathered over the years. This is probably one of my favourite parts of the holiday season for a couple of reasons. One is because if you look hard enough, they tell a story. Some of these ornaments have been in my family since I was very young, such as the ornament which my family got to celebrate the coming of year 2000, three years before I was born.

They represent happiness, important dates, and family. Others were made by me and my sister as we were growing up, and some are from family members who passed away, but who’s memory lives when I put  up their ornaments. One day when I’m older, I hope to pass some of my favourite ornaments down to my children so the story can continue on.

Snow always brings a smile to people’s faces, and my family has some traditions for this as well. The first days of mountain snow mark the time me and my family go skiing. If it snows at my house, my sister and neighbourhood friends go to the park to go sledding. The best part though, is sitting near the fire at night and watching snow fall.

On Christmas Eve, we open the last squares of our advent calendars and the whole family goes to bed early. This is because we usually head the next day to Winnipeg, Manitoba to see my grandparents and relatives. Christmas is filled with reunion, presents, food, and joy, and a large Christmas dinner. This is soon followed up by New Years, where we order in pizza and sushi and have a big party. These are some of the reasons that the holiday season is my favourite time of year.

If you celebrate Christmas, but don’t like waiting for it, here is a fun and festive game to pass the time!

🎄Toca Hair Salon – Christmas Edition🎄

Santa’s big night is coming up; can you help him look his best? Toca Hair Salon – Christmas Edition is a hilariously captivating game where you can cut, grow, colour, and decorate the hair of both Santa and an anthropomorphic Christmas Tree. Although there are only a handful of tools you can use, each ones can be explored in multiple different ways to create new and wacky looks. Personally, the hair growing feature is my favourite because it allows you to make the top, beard, and even eyebrow hair grow to insane lengths. My only suggestion is to add more characters and tools as this would open up even more possibilities to what you could do.

My Rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

What holidays do you celebrate? Do you have any fun holiday games I should check out? Let me know in the comments below.

2 thoughts on “Festive Fun – Holiday Traditions

1. Hi Emily,

First of all, I have to congratulate you on this wonderful blog post – well illustrated and complete with an amazing description of your holiday traditions.
    I am a Portuguese teacher of English and an Edublogs commenter and even though it doesn’t snow much where I live, winter and Christmas are also a family event. My youngest son is about your age but at Christmas, we all kind of turn kids 🙂 as we still have a (family) Santa to hand out the presents. Since we all live relatively close, I spend Christmas Eve and Christmas Day alternatively with my family and my husband’s so that every single year we manage to spend some quality time together, surrounded by our beloved ones.
    Feel free to get back to me, but in case you don’t, I wish you all the best for you and yours. Merry Christmas!
    Teacher Alex

1. Hello Alexandra,

Thank you for the comment! My extended family doesn’t live close, but we still find time to visit them which is a highlight of the Christmas season for me as well.

Seasons Greetings,

Emily J