It’s time for our last grade 8 humanities unit end blog post. Our last project for humanities has been all about New France. In this blog post I will reflect on all the work we have done in this unit. Im sad that this was our last humanities project in grade 8 but I’m excited for grade 9. Let’s get into the post.

Yay!

Coffee Grinder!

For this project we did a story but for that story we all had to pick an artifact to research, I chose a coffee grinder. I really enjoyed doing the research assignments on the coffee grinder. I found it more interesting as I got to pick what I researched instead of just being assigned something. The majority of the research that we did was in milestone 3. It was a little hard to find all the information that I needed though. There weren’t a lot of sights with the information I needed. It took me awhile to get most of what I needed but I did eventually get there.

This is the coffee grinder!

New France!

To build a lot of our knowledge on New France we got to watch short documentaries. We learned about all the different roles like Filles du roi. We all made a character for our story who was apart of New France. I made a character from the Filles du roi. We got options on how we wanted to show our characters we could pick to do a letter, a character card or an explain everything. I chose to do a character card. My character that I created was Eleanor Harriet. Eleanor lives in New France, is married and has 6 kids. That’s my character card underneath this.

This is my character card!

My Story!

This is my story. I’ve worked very hard on it. It has information about the coffee grinder at the start. I struggled with making this a little as I lot of the ideas I had didn’t really make sense. My story is about Eleanor and her family living in New France. Eleanor finds a coffee grinder in this weird looking shop, she takes it home and starts using it. When she starts using it it seems weird, the coffee grinder shows a path of glowing coffee beans. Eleanor curiously follows it and it leads her to a quiet lake that no one knows about. How will Eleanor help her family with it? What will she do with the cool coffee grinder?

Curricular Competencies!

Communicate:How do I share my own ideas when I write, speak, and represent?

For this competency a really good example would be milestone 4 our short story. For this we got to put down a slightly shorter version of our story. This allowed us to get our ideas out onto a page with what we want to put into a book. We were given feedback to help us improve. I struggled in this quite a lot as the story in my head made perfect sense but on the page it was a little hard to follow. It took me some time to make it make sense but I definitely feel that I have improved with that.

Evidence: How do we evaluate evidence to decide if it is adequate to support a historical conclusion?

A good example for this would be milestone 3 Artifact Research. We did a lot of research on our for this. We had to find the sights ourselves and make sure that the information we were finding was accurate. This was hard for me as I was struggling to find the sights with the information I was looking for. When I found information on a sight I would try and find another sight that had the same piece of information just to make sure that it was accurate.

Small Reflection!

This is a small reflection from me on how I’ve felt this projects gone. In this project the thing that I feel I’ve succeeded at the most has been the research part of it. It was very hard for my to find the research and it took me awhile so when I found the information I needed it felt good. One of the main things I struggled with in this project was making what made sense in my head make sense on paper. I have quite a big imagination so this was harder for me than others parts. I’m most proud of my final story as a lot of work went into it and I’m really happy with how it turned out in the end.

Overall humanities this year has been amazing. I’m sad that there will be no more grade 8 humanities projects but I’m looking forward to the ones in grade 9.