People and the environment.

Hello and Welcome back to another blog post.

To start this we read and answered questions on common lit readings about the environment. One of the story’s we read was “he-y, come on ou-t” which has a pretty clear theme to it. It’s a story and some towns people found a hole in the ground after a storm. Someone yells “hey come on out” and throws a rock in to the hole but they don’t hear a echo or the rock hit a bottom. The hole doesn’t seem to have an end, so they start to dump the towns waste and garbage in to the hole to get rid of it. Other countries start to dump their toxic waste in it as well. After a long time of doing this (spoiler alert) a worker on break hears “hey come on out” that seems to come from the sky and a rock falls on him which indicates that every thing that they put in to the hole with now fall from the sky. The theme is basically what goes around comes around even if there are no immediate consequences.

My topic that I wanted to write my letter about was about the problem of Canada sending its waste over seas and how funding companies that recover and recycle waste that will help not to contribute to the growing environmental problems in the countries that we send our waste to. I wrote to the honourable john Horgan because as the premier of BC he could help fund these companies.

After the letter, we planed an outline for a multi paragraph response to what common lit story theme connects with the theme to our letter. I connected my letter to a story called quite town. In quite town there is a family living in a town that everyone left because the water levels are raising and the town will eventually flood. Bev doesn’t believe the town will flood, not for a long time anyway. At the end of the story the town starts to flood and Bev realizes she should have done something and because she didn’t her family is in danger. I connected my letter to this because if more people don’t start changing what they do and being more environmentally friendly, it will cause major consequences that we wont be able to stop or reverse much like how because Bev didn’t do anything and now her family is in danger and she cant stop it but she could have before.

After we were done the letter everyone put the return address and where you want to send it to on your envelope, which took a couple tries for me, and then we walked to deep cove and mailed them. I am exited to see if and what john Horgan will write back to me.

see you next time.

ExPoNEnTs!!!

Hi! And welcome to my first blog post of this year. 

This projects driving question was “How does math make games more complex, interesting, and re-playable?”. So as you might have guessed from the driving question I made a game. In partners we had to make a game with exponents laws. My partner and i quickly came up with a game called ExPoNEnTs1!!!!!!!, and here is how you play it. 

ExPoNEnTs!!!11!!!1!!

Players:

(2-5) at a time.

Contents:

• Two (colour) base and exponent dice
  • Two (colour) base and exponent dice
  • Equation cards 
  • Point sheet 
  • Writing utensils 
  • Scrap paper

Game set up:

Every player gets a point sheet, pencil, scrap paper, and a calculator. Shuffle the equation cards and place both the dice and the cards in the middle. Everyone rolls one dice. The player with the highest number goes first, each player take turns clock-wise from there on.

Your turn: 

Start your turn by rolling four dice. Two dice are the exponents and two are the base. Match the dice by colour, the D10 is the exponent and the D100 is the base (ie. if you rolled a 80 [D100] and a 6 [D10], this will be equal to 8^6)

After you’ve rolled, Pick up one of the equation cards. These cards provide a template for you to use your rolled numbers as an equation. The only event in which you do not have to pick up an equation card is if you roll 4 dice of the same number. In this case, you can apply these numbers to the “standard form” category on the point sheet. 

If you wish to re-roll your dice after picking up an equation card, you may. However, you can ONLY re-roll a singular D10 and D100. 

Put your base (D100) with its exponent (D10) anywhere on the equation. The colours on the equation card correlates to which categories the card is applicable to on the points sheet. 

At this point, your equation should look something like this: 8^3 • 8^2. This particular equation applies to the product rule, and therefore can be simplified to 8^5. 

Simplify your equation in a similar way, and decide where it applies on the point sheet. Then, write down the simplified exponential form where applicable. In the event that your equation is not applicable to any category on the point sheet, you are to cross out a category. 

The goal:

The goal of the game is for all players to complete their point sheet, though players may decide to end the game sooner by limiting the number of categories they’re aiming for. At the end of the game, add up your base numbers, then add up your exponent numbers. DO NOT EVALUATE THEM. The player with the most amount of total points wins.

Point Sheet Guide:

We made clear instructions on how to play our game and we used logic and reasoning in our explanation, though the game is a bit complicated I feel with practice it is a fun game to play.

See you next time.

Check out my partners blog!

Game of Exponent Laws!

Cells and diseases.

Welcome to my last post for this year! it seems like this year went by in a flash but i remember when i felt like it would never end. I hopefully can look back on this year of blogs and see how much I’ve learned and grown.

this projects driving question was “How do cells and diseases interact?” And you had to answer this question by making a comic. 

To start off this project I made a mind map like we usually do, This includes questions and things I already knew about cells and diseases.

To make the comic I did a lot of research on cell functions and different types of cells to put into my story. My idea of how to make my comic came from a movie that my teacher showed the class at the start of the project called Osmosis Jones, if you don’t know what movie that is, here is more about it, i really suggest watching it bento only is it informational it is enjoyable and very funny.

And on to the final product of all this, my comic book! I’m not the best at drawing and I’m not the best at writing but i hope you like it!

The White Blood Cell Explains All

See you next time!

What’s the matter?

Hello! Welcome to another reflection blog post of a project. This projects driving question was, how can the behaviour of matters be explained by the kinetic molecular theory? To answer this question we had to make a game or simulation to show this but first we started by making a MindNode about what we know, what questions we have, and what we wanted in the product of this project. 

To actually make the game/simulator we learned how to use Scratch, which is website that uses block based visual programming as an educational tool for coding. I chose to make a simulator, so that means that what I made had to be interactive for the player, it had to show how the particles move in different environments like the particles being cold, hot or in different states of matter, and these all had to be explainable by the kinetic molecular theory. In my simulation I added three different elements, water molecules, helium molecules and chlorine atoms. 

There were some problems with sharing my simulation so I can’t give a link to it but a can show you photos of the front of the simulation and all the coding behind it.

See you next time.

The more things change.

Another day and another project finished. For this project we made a infographic on the European settlement with a partner. Now if you don’t know what an infographic is here is an example of one:

As you can see it uses concise paragraphs or sentences along with graphics to help explain or enhance the topic of the infographic. Over a couple of weeks we learnt about the European settlement and everyone involved, the French, the British and the First Nations. Are teachers gave us a choice on what part of the settlement we made the infographic, and we chose greed in the European settlement. My partner and I made informational mini paragraphs about each group to add to our infographic about the topic we chose. Then we made the graphics to go with the paragraphs that keep with the aesthetic of the infographic. After that we did some tweaking and revising until it looked like a professional infographic.                                                                                           This project was really fun and I’m really happy about how it looks, i hope you like it and learn something!

You can scan the QR code to get a different way of learning from our infographic.

See you next time.

here is my partners blog!

The French and First Nations and British, Oh my!

check out their post on this project.

Arg matey!

What is the first thing that you think of when you think pirates? You probably think about the clothing they wear, the mysterious eye patch they always have or a parrot on their shoulder that wont stop talking. All these thing have a history behind them, and I’m going to be talk about that in this post.

To start right form the beginning, instances of piracy started around the 17th century BC. The pirates threatened trading routes and seized cargos of grain, olive oil, candles and even parts of the boat to repair their own ship. Pirates back then did actually say yarrr and arg, these were used for exclamation or responding yes. Other pirate phrases such as bucko (a friend or another pirate, same as a buccaneer ) and carouser ( a reckless or loud person who drinks excessively ) were also actually used by pirates. parrots and monkeys were also actually used by pirates for company and often entertainment on long trips for the pirates, it was also a mark of status, as those exotic animals were very expensive.

Some may not know but piracy still goes on to this day. There is a movie on a real story of a cargo ship that gets Hijacked by Somalian pirates. The movie, Captain Philips, shows how terrible it is that piracy still happens, but there’s reasons why, it’s sometimes the only thing that people in places like Nigeria and Indonesia can do to make money. Piracy has made trading routes and even cruise routes unsafe, I think that this movie shows just how real it is and how it still happens to day.

If you want to know more about pirates and all the swashbuckling they did click here.

See you next time.

My first Destination Imagination.

Upon Reading this posts title you might already know what destination imagination is, but to start off this post I’m going to explain what it is for the people who don’t. Destination imagination is a global educational nonprofit dedicated to inspiring the next generation of inventors, leaders and creative problem solvers. Here’s more about destination imagination!

Destination imagination, or DI, requires a lot of team work, communication, Confidence and critical thinking. For my first DI, I was given a project which consisted of questions I had to answer and complete with a team. In this DI tournament there were four projects that you could pick from to finish, these were next level technical, in theory scientific, built to last engineering and epic remix fine arts. With these my teachers gave everyone a chance to tell them which project they wanted to do. I picked engineering. I chose that topic because I new I would be building something for the project and thought it would be fun. Before we were told what group we were in, our teachers told us that DI would be fun but hard and stressful. And they were right.

When we started the project it was mostly just looking at the rules of DI and making plans for the project. We learned that the main part of our projected was that we had to  make a building that had to have a purpose and, in the end, be a physical model. We also had to have a story that relates to the building and film it (if you already know about DI, then you know that usually we would have to preform our story live, but because if COVID restrictions this is not allowed). We decided to make a community centre with postmodernism style architecture and renaissance style interior.

Here’s some pictures of our finished model!

Throughout the project we had to do instant challenges, which is basically like a challenge that you have to complete in a very limited time and then present it. Those were hard but fun.

Near the end of DI there was a little more stress to get everything finished but we got it all done and now its over. I probably wouldn’t do DI again, just my personal opinion, but sense this is PLP i probably am going to do it again. its got me wondering what going to happen next time but sense I’ve already done it once I will be more prepared the next time.

here is our finished video. It’s about old people in Oregon that hate all of the community centres there so they decided to make there own, but they run into a few generational problems along the way.

We also did a Q&A video about the project process.

See you next time.

My group members blogs.

http://www.blog44.ca/alfieh/

http://www.blog44.ca/faiths/

http://www.blog44.ca/inesm/

http://www.blog44.ca/Mateok/

http://www.blog44.ca/maxl/

http://www.blog44.ca/Samuelk/

check them out!

Last blogging challenge post.

For about the past ten blog post I have been doing a Student blogging challenge, which is basically a challenge to blog about given topics a couple times a week for a while to help keep up your blogging skills! Throughout all of the challenges a think my favourite had to be my emoji story I did. It was just really fun to be creative with how I could perceive the pictures how I wanted to and make them into a story. Near the end of the blogging challenges, blogging had become easier for me, even though I still need to work on some things, this has help my blogging.

Here is my certificate of achievement for finishing the blogging challenges!

See you next time.

Memories of not COVID-19 spring breaks.

Spring break is coming up and theres so many things I want to do but i can’t, so, I’m going to put it in this post it here instead. Spring break for me usually means that I can go visit my grandparents in Powell River and Texada. Sense I don’t think a lot of people know about it, Texada is a little island near Powell River which is hardly populated. When I was a kid and I went there, there was this parade that happened and usually everyone participated and helped make floats with themes like ocean or their culture and then there was a cash prize for whoever won. I remember entering in to the parade once but i didn’t win. Something else that I would probably do is go on a little trip with my best friend Samantha. Our last trip was when we went on a camping trip to cultus lake to go to the water park and the amusement park, and it was the best, I really miss that we can’t really go anywhere anymore but we are planning on going back to cultus when we are allowed again!
Sense I don’t want to be bored during spring break I’m going to make a list of things to do:

-do a photography walk
-paint abstractly from an inspiration
-learn a new recipe
-finish a book
-reorganized my room

I know it doesn’t seem like a lot but its just some stuff I want to do, so ill do another post at the end of spring break and we’ll see is I’ve done all of them (or any of them)!

See you next time.