TPOL 2023

Welcome to my grade 10 TPOL!

Thank you for coming to my presentation of learning. I am the expert on my own learning. I am also responsible and accountable for my own learning. You can expect me to give an honest evaluation of my progress. We will discuss my strengths and opportunities for growth. Thank you in advance for listening and for offering feedback that I can use to improve as a learner.

————————————————————————————————————————

🌟Parts of my learning and projects I was proud of:

My collaboration skills🤝

Profile 5: I can facilitate group processes and encourage collective responsibility for our progress.

I excel in teamwork using my different skills and perspectives. Through effective communication and creative contributions in a team I can create impactful campaigns together.

my creative thinking 💭

Profile 5: I can think “outside the box” to get innovative ideas and persevere to develop them.

⬇️ next year

Profile 6: I can develop a body of creative work over time in an area of interest or passion.

🙋‍♀️Habits I want to work on next year from this year:

My personal awareness and responsibility 🫨

Profile 3: I can make choices that help me meet my wants and needs and increase my feelings of well-being. I take responsibility for my actions.

⬇️ next year

Profile 4: I can recognize my strengths and take responsibility for using strategies to focus, manage stress, and accomplish my goals.

I aim for a mindset that helps my challenges and fosters personal growth. Before I’ve had problems with excessive attention to minor details that stops my progress. Moving forward I will prioritize overcoming obstacles and completing tasks by adopting a bigger perspective. I will utilize getting feed back from teachers on unfinished projects or when I’m struggling.

Improving my ability to reflect is an area I want to focus on. I recognize that I don’t always engage in purposeful reflection that can effectively guide me towards future growth. I struggle with writing my blog post and reflecting.

Thank you for listening to my presentation of learning!

The Un-4-gettables!

Hello! And welcome to another blog post of mine. In this one I’m gonna be telling you about my second destination imagination project!!! 

Now this one was a lot different from last years because we perform in person this year, which was a more nerve racking but I had I lot of fun doing it so let me tell you about it. From our choices of projects this year I choose to do Festival Frenzy and for this project the performance we had to do was going to be completely improvised which means that we had to Practice a lot on our improve skills before.

How our project went was that on the day of the performance we would be given a random festival (from a selection of ones that we had researched before hand), an objective for us to accomplish in our skit and we would have ten box’s to use as props. Half way through our skit we would have an intermission where we would be given a fork in the road which means we would be given a choice of two ways our story could go, we would pick the one that goes best with what we had come up with so far and add it into the last part of our show. Our skit had to have a beginning, middle and ending. 

Now the only way we could prepare for this was to research the different festivals from around the world that were given to us like the Cheese Rolling festival and the Chinese lantern festival and play different improv games like freeze. Working with my group was for the most part fun. The times when we really worked well  together and listen to each others ideas were really great.

Doing it in person this year was scarier then last year but once we were doing our skit it was really fun and I think we did pretty good which was I nice feeling after being really worried about performing hours before. This years DI was really fun for me and I wonder what next years DI challenge will hold. 

See you next time.

Check out my groups blog!:

http://www.blog44.ca/coled/

http://www.blog44.ca/xanderg/

Metaphor machines

Have you ever heard of a rue Goldberg machine?                                                    These machines or marble runs can get pretty complicated but they are really cool. We had to make a rue Goldberg machine in order to answer the driving question of this project, “What factors affect the performance of an electric circuit?”, While adding in the scientific method: observation, question, hypothesis, experiment, analysis and conclusion in to our machine.                      In our group we started by building a rough plan of what we wanted to add and how we could  add in the electric circuit that could turn on.                              This was our final draft for our machine:

We all contributed our ideas and worked on having a version that we were all happy with. As we moved on to building our machine we got a big piece of wood to be our base and started to build on to that to make our machine. While adding the circuits it took some time to make sure that it would work and I’m glad it finally did. We added a parallel circuit and a series circuit that would turn on the lights in the process of the machine running. A series circuit comprises a path along which the whole current flows through each component. A parallel circuit comprises branches so that the current divides and only part of it flows through the branch’s.

This is our final video of our machine:

See you next time

Case for a nation.

Hello and welcome to another blog post! 

This project was about history and nationalism mostly in Canada but we did get to expand in to other parts of the world and learn about their nationalism.

One of the first things that we did and one of the most fun to me was a simulation of signing the confederation in Canada. Discussing with my group that represented east Canada was interesting and it was fun finding ways to give and get what we want from the agreement. My group decided that we would sign the confederation.

Moving on to the part of the project that would answer the driving question which is “How can an understanding of nationalism in the past, help us make sense of today?”. We made pictures and a caption for an instagram post that would show and explain how the event we chose answers the driving question. I chose the Canadian pacific railway to do my project on, and I chose it because it was a part of history I hadn’t learned about yet and it seemed interesting to learn about. We were put into groups of people that chose the same topic as us to make the pictures and the caption.

This in my picture

I chose to put a picture of the old Canadian Pacific railway and the new because it shows how much change and growth have happened since then. The  caption that we put with our pictures was mad eBay us all writing one and then took parts of ours that we liked and put it all together into one.

see you next time.

Ionic and covalent bonding.

Hello and welcome back to another blog post!

For this project we made an animation about ionic and covalent bonding.   before you see my animation that let me explain what the different types off bonds are. An ionic bond as a type of linkage formed from the electrostatic attraction between oppositely charged ions in a chemical compound. Such a bond forms when the valence (outermost) electrons of one atom are given permanently to another atom. A covalent bond, the interatomic linkage that results from the sharing of an electron pair between two atoms. A covalent bond forms when the bonded atoms have a lower total energy than that of widely separated atoms.

This is my animation. I hope you enjoy it!

See you next time.

You’ve been called for jury duty!

What makes a revolution effective or not? This was the question we answered in the only way proper, by taking it to court.

Now to specify we didn’t actually take this to court but we did the closest thing to it by organizing a mock trail for different revolutions.

Now, In preparation to understand revolutions, we learned about Crane Brintons Theory. If you didn’t know Crane Brintons Theory is a theory about the stages that a revolution can or does go through. It includes incubation – which is when people have a sense of government injustices and/or weak rulers, moderation –  protest against the government increase. Crisis –  the use of violence increase dramatically like the killing of a monarch, and recovery – violence diminishes and the old regime altered by the effects of the revolution returns. This helped me to better understand the how revolutions progress by pin pointing the stages of Crane Brintons Theory in the other revolution we learned about.

We connected Crane Brintons Theory to the story Animal Farm (if you haven’t read this book then  you should!). Animal Farm is a book based off of the Russian revolution by using the animal characters in the book to depicted key people who were in the revolution.                                                                            Here is my connection of Crane Brintons theory to Animal Farm:   

To start the process of making our mock trail, I was put in to my legal team, if you will, to start researching our revolution which was the Xinhai Revolution. In that group, before we were told if we would be prosecution or defence, we researched a lot about our revolution. This is my infographic on my revolution:

I learn a lot about this revolution, I went through almost every thing you could find about it online. There was a man named Liu Depang who wrote a daily journal during the time of the revolution. Though I could not find pictures of his journal to read myself I found a very comprehensive book on his journals that was had a lot of detail into his life and what he wrote. It was really cool to read about his daily life with his family and this helped a lot to find out what life was really like back then for people in a small town during the revolution. 

After a lot of researching, we were told that we were going to be defending the xinhai trial in court. Now I thought it was going to be easier to defend the Xinhai Revolution because, in the end the revolution was successful in toppling the Qing Dynasty but there of corse were many bad things before it got to that point. Never the less, we were able to put together a strong case to prove that the Xinhai Revolution was effective. We all had different roles in the trail and for my team I read the closing statements. Now I am terrified of public speaking, even if its scripted (which this was) its still pretty scary for me, but I feel that with all the practice I did, I didn’t do to terribly and doing this I feel it really helped me to not be so afraid next time I do something like this. In the end the the jury made up of our parents decided if the revolution was effective or not effective. Having my dad look right at me from the crowd and vote against my side was not a great confidence booster. Despite that the revolution was found not guilty!

For my first exhibition in PLP I think it was really fun and I’m really happy with how it turned out! 

Here Is a video of the trail:  

See you next time.

Correlations and causations.

Hello and welcome back to another blog post. This blog post was about the correlations and causations from data that we collect. I was in a group with Teva and i’ll put a link to her blog on this project at the bottom of this post.

So for this project we had to gather our own data by making a surveying for people fill out and then we can use that to find causations and correlations in. Our survey questions was based off of things that might effect or improve your sleep. We came up with a lot of questions, and made sure that some of the questions might have causations or correlations between them. 

Our audience for our survey was all PLP students. Only 20 people answered our survey questions, so the data that we put in the charts to find correlations and causations is very weak. I think if more people would have answered we might have gotten a better response and been able to find a stronger causation or correlations.

As I said only 20 people responded but we did get answers from about every grade. Even though they were weak, we did find some weak correlations and causations. One correlation that we found was that how many pillows you have on your bed effects how many nights you get a poor sleep. We thought that  the more pillows you had the less poor sleeps you get in a week, but we found out that was not the case.

From the answers we got, we only had one causation, which was between the questions ‘How would you rate your quality of sleep per week’ and ‘how would you rate the leval of sleepiness during the day’. This clearly has a causation because the worst sleep you get more you would feel tired during the day because of that. It was really fun making the survey and it was interesting to see the answers we got for our questions even if they weren’t what we were expecting.

See you next time.

Check out Tevas blog post!

People and the environment.

Hello and Welcome back to another blog post.

To start this we read and answered questions on common lit readings about the environment. One of the story’s we read was “he-y, come on ou-t” which has a pretty clear theme to it. It’s a story and some towns people found a hole in the ground after a storm. Someone yells “hey come on out” and throws a rock in to the hole but they don’t hear a echo or the rock hit a bottom. The hole doesn’t seem to have an end, so they start to dump the towns waste and garbage in to the hole to get rid of it. Other countries start to dump their toxic waste in it as well. After a long time of doing this (spoiler alert) a worker on break hears “hey come on out” that seems to come from the sky and a rock falls on him which indicates that every thing that they put in to the hole with now fall from the sky. The theme is basically what goes around comes around even if there are no immediate consequences.

My topic that I wanted to write my letter about was about the problem of Canada sending its waste over seas and how funding companies that recover and recycle waste that will help not to contribute to the growing environmental problems in the countries that we send our waste to. I wrote to the honourable John Horgan because as the premier of BC he could help fund these companies. Here is my letter:

While researching for this letter I Learned a lot about how Canada and British Columbia, along with other countries, impacted other places by sending their garbage away. China banned all imports of waste because they were becoming increasingly concerned about the amount of waste in land fills. Jiangcungou landfill, which is the biggest landfill in China, Is around the size of 100 foot ball fields and receives 10,000 tons of garbage a day. I think this really speaks to the impact of sending waste over seas and other countries might follow in banning imports as they be come increasingly worried how much waste there is.

After the letter, we planed an outline for a multi paragraph response to what common lit story theme connects with the theme to our letter. I connected my letter to a story called quite town. In quite town there is a family living in a town that everyone left because the water levels are raising and the town will eventually flood. Bev doesn’t believe the town will flood, not for a long time anyway. At the end of the story the town starts to flood and Bev realizes she should have done something and because she didn’t her family is in danger. I connected my letter to this because if more people don’t start changing what they do and being more environmentally friendly, it will cause major consequences that we wont be able to stop or reverse much like how because Bev didn’t do anything and now her family is in danger and she cant stop it but she could have before.

After we were done the letter everyone put the return address and where you want to send it to on your envelope, which took a couple tries for me, and then we walked to deep cove and mailed them. I am exited to see if and what john Horgan will write back to me.

see you next time.

ExPoNEnTs!!!

Hi! And welcome to my first blog post of this year. 

This projects driving question was “How does math make games more complex, interesting, and re-playable?”. So as you might have guessed from the driving question I made a game. In partners we had to make a game with exponents laws. My partner and i quickly came up with a game called ExPoNEnTs1!!!!!!!, and here is how you play it. 

ExPoNEnTs!!!11!!!1!!

Players:

(2-5) at a time.

Contents:

• Two (colour) base and exponent dice
  • Two (colour) base and exponent dice
  • Equation cards 
  • Point sheet 
  • Writing utensils 
  • Scrap paper

Game set up:

Every player gets a point sheet, pencil, scrap paper, and a calculator. Shuffle the equation cards and place both the dice and the cards in the middle. Everyone rolls one dice. The player with the highest number goes first, each player take turns clock-wise from there on.

Your turn: 

Start your turn by rolling four dice. Two dice are the exponents and two are the base. Match the dice by colour, the D10 is the exponent and the D100 is the base (ie. if you rolled a 80 [D100] and a 6 [D10], this will be equal to 8^6)

After you’ve rolled, Pick up one of the equation cards. These cards provide a template for you to use your rolled numbers as an equation. The only event in which you do not have to pick up an equation card is if you roll 4 dice of the same number. In this case, you can apply these numbers to the “standard form” category on the point sheet. 

If you wish to re-roll your dice after picking up an equation card, you may. However, you can ONLY re-roll a singular D10 and D100. 

Put your base (D100) with its exponent (D10) anywhere on the equation. The colours on the equation card correlates to which categories the card is applicable to on the points sheet. 

At this point, your equation should look something like this: 8^3 • 8^2. This particular equation applies to the product rule, and therefore can be simplified to 8^5. 

Simplify your equation in a similar way, and decide where it applies on the point sheet. Then, write down the simplified exponential form where applicable. In the event that your equation is not applicable to any category on the point sheet, you are to cross out a category. 

The goal:

The goal of the game is for all players to complete their point sheet, though players may decide to end the game sooner by limiting the number of categories they’re aiming for. At the end of the game, add up your base numbers, then add up your exponent numbers. DO NOT EVALUATE THEM. The player with the most amount of total points wins.

Point Sheet Guide:

We made clear instructions on how to play our game and we used logic and reasoning in our explanation, though the game is a bit complicated I feel with practice it is a fun game to play.

See you next time.

Check out my partners blog!

Game of Exponent Laws!

Cells and diseases.

Welcome to my last post for this year! it seems like this year went by in a flash but i remember when i felt like it would never end. I hopefully can look back on this year of blogs and see how much I’ve learned and grown.

this projects driving question was “How do cells and diseases interact?” And you had to answer this question by making a comic. 

To start off this project I made a mind map like we usually do, This includes questions and things I already knew about cells and diseases.

To make the comic I did a lot of research on cell functions and different types of cells to put into my story. My idea of how to make my comic came from a movie that my teacher showed the class at the start of the project called Osmosis Jones, if you don’t know what movie that is, here is more about it, i really suggest watching it bento only is it informational it is enjoyable and very funny.

And on to the final product of all this, my comic book! I’m not the best at drawing and I’m not the best at writing but i hope you like it!

The White Blood Cell Explains All

See you next time!