M’Pols

It’s come to that time of the year again when its time to present our learning. Everything from our goals, “failures”, projects I am proud of to projects that I feel I could have done better. Through this presentation I am going to talk about how I am going to progress as a learner before the end of the school year. So to start this project I am going to talk about the humanities course.

Thinking back I realize just how much we have gone over, from the Mahnhatten Project regarding the Atomic bomb and then leading into the 50’s and communism and the crucible we have covered a lot. This year I have found all of these topics and projects interesting however one specific project I would like to talk about is the History in 5 video project. This was in accord to the Mahnhatten field school and unit. I found this a very interesting unit talking about the Cold War, the science behind the bomb, why the bomb was created and its affect on both present and past times. At first when we were learning about everything it confused me as it was a lot to take in. From learning the science behind the bomb to how all of the countries interacted with each other  during the Cold War and then the many views on the subject. However thanks to the many worksheets that we filled out during the time leading up to the trip I was able to understand (for the most part) what we were learning.

And though I did eventually get to understanding everything I do wish I had asked more questions as it would have lead me to understanding the topic sooner which i feel in the end would have lead to a better learning outcome. That is one way I am going to progress as a learner by the end of the year, by asking questions to my teachers, parents and fellow students when I need help. During the project the final product was the History in 5 video and I was in a group with Claire and Simon and we looked into 5 interesting facts about the Mahnhatten Project. I feel that we did good however I wish that I had spoken up about my opinion on what we were doing more so. For example while we were at the Hanford Site and on the bus tour my group found it hard to get interviews as other groups were ahead of us or we were focusing on the area and what we had to film at each location. So in that sense I wish that I had spoken up and said that we needed to simply push forward and get the interview. I also wish that in the video itself I had memorized my script so that it would have looked better, which is one thing I would improve on if I were to do this project again. However overall I was proud of the video and the information that we included in the video.

Then there’s our PGP class, at the beginning of the year I was confused as to what this course had in store. The first aspect I would like to talk about is actually a FAIL. We were introduced to time blocking at our last PGP meeting and though I have been putting in all of my classes and most of my activities I have found it difficult to plan out my time. To actually sit down and figure out what needs to be done and when. This is one thing I would like to improve upon because in the end it will help my progress as a learner.

The next aspect I would like to talk about in PLP is something I’m proud of. We have been reading the book What do you really want? And have been filling out forms along the way. At first I didn’t understand why we were doing it and in the start I did procrastinate however once I started reading it I realized that it was helpful. For example form seven is all about goals that we want to achieve and having to actually write it out and think of them has really put things into perspective for me. From what I want to do once I graduate, to a current part job I want to get as well as other personal goals.

In this meeting I have shown you a few examples of my work and I know there are things I have to improve on to become a better learner however I’m wondering and this is a question to you, what steps I should be taking to improve my communication skills in order to further improve my learning.