Raven, light, lasers and prisms?

Ibn-Al Hatham, the one who taught us how light moves. Raven who brought us the sun and the stars. I guess they both kind of brought the light if you think about it, but how are we going to fit these 2 stories, prisms, cylinders, opacity, transparency, translucency, reflection and refraction into one project? It took me awhile to figure out a design that would but I eventually got it. The reason this project was so huge is that we still had a lot of stuff to learn in scimathics during the last 2 months of school so we started learning all of the se at the same time. And then we needed a. Year end project to present at the blue sky exhibition so Klausen told us to incorporate all of these details into a sculpture. I would show you a picture but I’m not smart and didn’t take any so I’ll just give you a description of what’s going on in my sculpture to read. (I know it sucks, more reading).

In my project there are multiple things happening with light. The flashlight and laser pointer in the shoebox are pointed at one side of the inside lined with aluminum causing the light to bounce back and forth inside due to Ibn Al-Haytham’s theory that light travels in straight lines. The flashlight on the left is going through a glass lid which is my transparency into a glass spice jar filled with water with yellow food colouring which represents the light from the story. The light also causes the jar to glow since the light hitting the water causes it to bend and the light reflects onto the white paper surrounding it. The jar is also my translucency since you look through the water and the light waves are bent so you can’t see clearly through the other side. The laser pointer is pointing at the side of the tube and reflecting back and forth through the tube into the corner of a prism and since light travels in straight lines, it splits at the corner and separates into two different light sources and hits the white piece of paper surrounding. My shoebox, toilet paper tubes and white paper surrounding the structure is my opacity since all these objects don’t allow any light to pass through.

Written by:

Be First to Comment