Tectonic chances

Scimatics project #2

I was given my second project in scimatics and it was on Tectonic Plates. Me and my desk partner  worked and gathered information to then make a board game based on tectonic plates.

An answer to the driving question

How are thematic and mathematical elements used in game design

We spent weeks learning about the different types of plate movement, different types of events based on tectonic plates ,and. We used all of our information and  put it into rules that we then used to make our game. In the last 2 weeks, we learned and worked on game probability answers and how we would put them into our game. Finally we handed our set of game rules in to Showbie and began our game. So to answer the question, those elements are used if the game requires you to pick up cards or roll dice to play.

Evidence of my learning

The evidence for my learning can be found anywhere in my assignments. A big part of this can be found in the pages document that I used to make my own set of rules based on the things we learned (milestone 2). Throughout the project, I completed several stepping stones and 5 milestones which got easier and easier to me. One that stood out the most to me was the final game rules because it took us about 4 tries to fully complete it.

Curricular competencies

Evaluating                                                                                                           My desk partner and I did a great job including the theory of plate tectonics and supporting evidence for it. We used at least 10 key science concepts in our game to make power ups and events. Our goal here was just to meet all of these expectations and then add to get a better grade.

Questioning and predicting                                                                   This is something I know we did great at. We were always handing in assignments on time because each time we received an assignment, we buckled down and finished it off.  I made sure I did all I could in the amount of time I was given.

Understanding and solving                                                                    This is something that took us a while to incorporate into our game rules. It was partly because we were always kind of tired but also we didn’t quite get it. After getting help and feedback from our teacher, we were able to complete our rules and move onto creating our game board. We received a couple work sheets based on probability but they were easy.

Below is a mind map I made at the beginning of the project which I also added to at the end

Overall this was my favourite project yet because I found it pretty fun and I liked working with my desk mate.