Comic Cells Final Post

Comic Book

Hi everyone, and welcome back to my blog!

Today’s blog will be about a recent project I have completed in PLP Scimatics 8. 

This project is called “Comic Cells”, and the goal of this project was to create a comic where you demonstrate the interaction of cells with diseases. To create this comic, we used the app “Comic Life 3”.

The driving question in this project is: “How do cells and diseases interact?”. My answer to that is that they interact by trying to overpower one another and eliminating one another.

To demonstrate my learning, I will be highlighting the milestones/stepping stones that helped me answer the driving question best.

The first thing I will talk about is the Launch Entry Event, where we watched the movie “Osmosis Jones”. Osmosis Jones is about a white blood cell who’s mission is to stop an invading virus. I found this movie to be pretty funny since Bill Murray was the lead actor.

Watching this movie also helped in giving me a preliminary understanding of what cells are and what they do. It also gave me some ideas for what to include in my comic book.

The next thing I will talk about is milestone 2. Milestone 2 was our Disease Wanted poster. The overall goal of this milestone was to chose the virus we were going to include in our comic book, as well as include facts about our chosen virus. This helped with answering the driving question because it gave me an opportunity to get a better understanding of not just how my chosen disease works, but how other diseases work as well.

The disease I chose for my comic book was Marburg Virus. Marburg Virus is similar to the Ebola virus, and it originates from humans and bats.

Here’s my Poster:

The next Milestone I will highlight is milestone 4. Milestone 4 was our Comic book “Storyboard”. In this milestone we were just laying out the building blocks for our final comic. 

This helped me in my learning by giving me a chance to show what I know about cells and see what needed work. 

Here’s my Milestone 4 Storyboard.

To further demonstrate my learning, I will go over the Cirricular competencies and show what I did well, and what I could improve next time. 

The competencies in this project were Questioning and Predicting, Scientific Communication, and Evaluating. 

Questioning and Predicting: Demonstrate a sustained curiosity about a scientific topic or problem of personal interest. 

I think I accomplished this competency well and used my class time to my advantage. I feel like during the last couple of days we had to finish our comic I was really locked in and focused . I learned that its always better to finish things as early as possible then at the last second.

Scientific Communication: Communicate ideas, findings, and solutions to problems using scientific language, representations, and digital technologies. 

I think that I gained a complete understanding of cells from this project. I did that by completing milestones and reading about my disease and how it interacts with cells. I learned to show that growth by making a Comic book about cells and diseases.

Evaluating: Demonstrate an understanding and appreciation of evidence.

Overall, I think my comic had logical outcomes incorporated into it. At first, when I was making the outline, the outcomes were a bit shaky. But, I improved in that aspect in my final comic book. 

In conclusion, I really enjoyed making my own comic book!

I also found learning about cells and diseases to be quite interesting. The hardest part of this project for me was coming up with my own original comic book. 

In all, I enjoyed the comic aspect of this project and I hope I get to make another sometime in the future!