Coruscating Cinema blog post

I think if you have had any free time you probably made a home movie of some sort, and I find these really fun. I’m not much of an actor, but I really, really like editing. I like editing enough that I will willingly spend hours on a editing project just because I find it fun. Another thing that I am quite fond of is cinematography, which is “the art of photography and camerawork in film-making.” So this post is about our Vibrant Video project, and you wouldn’t guess, but this project is about BOTH of those things, so obviously I quite enjoyed this project, and went far enough as to make my own video with a few other people. Firstly in this project we made our video about a hobby that we like using clips, and it was ok. Before you jump to conclusions I have to first say that clips is not usually my first choice for video editing, so I was not as fond of this part vs the later parts, but it was still fun to make.

Ok, now for the second stage we made a video to utilize the skill of framing shots and developing angles. This video was supposed to have no sound other than background music that fit the video, and we also had to make the video look very old. My video was a little rushed so it is not my proudest video from this project, but it was still fun to make. I will leave it right here.

For this stage we made a tutorial video about how to stack a chair. I made this video with Alicia (blog here). I found this part quite fun to make, but there were some hard parts where we had to deal with background noise of others making videos at the same time.

We also made a script for this which I will put right here

At this point we made some mini-movies utilizing effects                                           I made one about angles

Now for the last part which I am the most proud of we made a video about how to ride a bike.

I learned a lot about making videos from this as a lot of our class seemed to enjoy our video, and I believe that it had abrupt and unexpected turns, and that those turns were humorous. Another reason why I think our video was good was because it had good use of special effects, and a bunch of different angles.

Thank you for reading my blog, and have a great day

The war that should have ended all wars

WWI. Unless you have no clue what history is you have almost definitely heard about World War One, or The Great War, or The War to End All Wars. I really don’t like the last two, but especially that last one. Firstly, WWI was not really that “great.” So many people died, and it lasted so long with not much benefit to either side. Nobody won during WWI, not even the side that “won.” Secondly, WWI should have been the war to end all wars, but guess what? You guessed it, WWII. Not only did WWI not end all wars, but there was ANOTHER world war. WWI wasn’t even the last world war, let alone the last war, so the name “War to End All Wars” is not as fitting as it might have been during WWI. Oh, also speaking of WWI we recently did a project on it for Humanities. It was pretty cool, we read this cool comic book, we watched this cool movie, actually you should totally watch the movie. It’s called 1917 and it’s really REALLY good, like probably my favourite war movie. That’s not saying much as I barely watched any war movies but you should still watch it. Going back to the project, we made our own comic books which was really fun, but it was so hard. I spent way too much time on my drawings and probably should have spent more time on my story, but I’ll do that in the future. If you want to read my comic I’ll leave it right here. 

I am now going to show the process that we went through to make the comic:

So first we did research on the causes of wars.

I personally think that assassination is the most common way wars are started, and one of the ways to start a war. This part was a little bit boring but was quite vital for later parts of the project, so I am glad that we did it. 

After that we identified consequences of the new weapons of war, like machine guns or tanks

Then we made a paragraph on the short and long term consequences of WWI. I thought that this part was pretty interesting, and it helped me think about WWI in a different light.

This is the paragraph ⬇️

Consequences can be a very broad term, negative or positive things, long term or short term things. With something as big as World War One, there’s a lot of negatives. I think that one long term consequence of WWI was some of the technological advancements that were made. In an article from Air and Space they state that “Heavy artillery, machine guns, tanks, motorized transport vehicles, high explosives, chemical weapons, airplanes, field radios and telephones, aerial reconnaissance cameras, and rapidly advancing medical technology and science were just a few of the areas that reshaped twentieth century warfare”. This just goes to show how many new technologies were developed, continued and been the spark for many inventions further. Many of these things have are still being used in the present day, or heave led to inventions that we now use. A short term consequence was the amount of lives and money that were lost due to the war. Economic crashes and resource scarcity where seriously problematic, during and post war. An article from Centre Robert Schumann says that “There were 20 million deaths and 21 million wounded. The total number of deaths includes 9.7 million military personnel and about 10 million civilians”. These statistics show how much money and how many peoples lives were lost in WWI. It also reinforces my statement about a short term consequence of WWI being how much money and how many peoples lives were lost in the war.

Then we made a analysis on a poster of propaganda from WWI. This assignment was kinda cool, and I chose a poster that had a lot of small details in it which I liked.

This was about the time that we watched the movie, and I’ll put my reflection on my takeaway from the movie.

The war to end all wars, or WWI was a complete bloodbath where many soldiers died. One of the massive short term consequences was the huge loss of life, which caused depression in many who were close to soldiers who died in the war, and some may have even taken their own life because their son or husband had died. Another huge short term consequence was how many surviving soldiers suffered from PTSD shortly after the end of the war. To quote the graphic novel World War One: “the trauma of fighting and the psychological strain gave rise to ‘shell shock’, a new condition that many generals and medical officers gave little importance to. It is now better known as ‘post-traumatic stress disorder’.” One of the longer term consequences was that the people in power, like governments, prime ministers, queens, princes, etc. would put more consideration and thought into decisions involving war, as after the sheer length and bloodshed from the First World War, they learned that you can no longer just attack a country without considering the consequences of your actions. To quote the Nelson Text: “War has the ability to unite both people and nations as they fight against a common enemy. However, war can also be a great divider-for both the winning and losing sides. When World War I ended at 11 a.m. on November 11, 1918, the Allies claimed victory against the Central Powers. During the four years of battle, over 37 million people were killed and nearly 22 million were wounded. In addition to this massive loss of life, both sides experienced social, political, geographical, and economic short-term and long-term consequences.” This perfectly communicates how war can have huge consequences that people do not, or did not take into consideration before attacking.

Now was the time to start work on the comic. I got the war measures act, which was not my first choice, but I was kind of stuck with it so I had to make do with what I had. There was not much info on the war measures act in WWI, but basically German people got sent to interment camps for no reason, other than that they shared the same blood as the enemy. The same thing happened in WWII, and that one was more well known, so I got confused for the first day and did some research on the interment camps in WWII instead of in WWI, but I corrected myself later on. I made these planning documents, which changed later on.

I also made this storyboard, which is the skeleton of my comic, but not all things on the storyboard appeared on the comic, and I made some changes to the storyboard before I finished the comic.

I was away for a few days nearing the end of the project and apparently I missed a youtube video that we were supposed to watch as a class.

Ok, so now that you know the process that I went through to make the comic, now I am going to show how I preformed on the Core Competencies. 

Competency #1

How well have I shown interest in this project?

I think that for this competency I preformed well, as I was actually really interested in this project and WWI, so I feel as though I participated a decent amount

Competency #2

How well have I shown the ability to assess cause and consequence?

I think I did ok for this competency, as I was capable of easily distinguishing and finding causes and consequences in this project.

Competency #3

How well have I incorporated and shown proper grammar and writing in this project?

I believe that I have preformed quite well for this competency, as I think that I have a somewhat large vocabulary, and I think I used this to my advantage in this project.

That is all for today. 

Noah’s blog post

Hello everyone and welcome back to another blog post! In recent, we have been working on a Maker 9 project called vibrant video. This will be a rather short post because I learned a lot of physical skills like how to shoot film and angles. But nether the less, I hope you enjoy this post.

To start off we learned about editing. We did this by learning how to better use an app called Clips. We had used it in the past, but it was on a much smaller scale. Throughout the entire project, we would come back to use clips for various reasons. But for the first assignment, we were asked to create a short about me video that showed off our interests and/or a hobby. I chose to do mine on Irish dancing. We were given specific parameters. For example: we had to use at least one effect, we had to use titles, and we had a to add some of the background music that was provided within clips it’s self.

In this first assignment, I think something that I really took away was adding audio that enhanced the video. In the entire project, we would make many videos that used audio. I think that this first part helped me learn the do’s and don’ts when adding audio to a film. It also taught me about using audio to enhance a video and add to it. You can check out the about me video I made below ⬇️

[insert about me video]

Now, throughout this entire project, we had been taking notes on the history of film. We started off with more history. For example, what the first motion picture was, who first invented it, etc. we then moved on to more modern day things. Like special effects, CGI, etc. We had three sets of lectures all of which we were frantically taking notes. You can check out the notes later be patient

7 habits

Ok, so you might know what the 7 Habits For Highly Effective People are, but if you don’t basically they are these 7 habits that this guy Steven Covey wrote about how to be a more effective person. Habit 1 is Be Proactive, Habit 2 is Begin With the End in Mind, Habit 3 is Put First Things First, Habit 4 is Think Win-Win, Habit 5 is Seek First to Understand Then to Be Understood, Habit 6 is Synergize, and Habit 7 is Sharpen the Saw. We did a project on them for Maker this year where we made different choice boards and if you know me then you know I love to make animations, so most of my choice board activities are animations which I will put right here: 

I am going to list a few ways that I am using the 7 habits currently; I am being proactive by not caring when someone says an insult or something similar. I am sharpening the saw by always trying to improve myself in different ways.

Here are also a few ways that I plan to use the 7 habits in the future; I plan to think Win-Win in the future by sharing things when I can, and believing that nothing is a 0 sum game, and by doing this I think that it will help me to be more considerate whenever I can. I plan to put First Things First in the future by learning to prioritize more important and more urgent projects before less important and less urgent projects.

I think that I am using technology to my advantage currently by using it to do tasks that would be more difficult without the technology, like writing the blog post I am writing right now, as I need technology to put it up onto the internet, and I tend to write faster when I am using a keyboard vs a pencil and paper. Another way that I am using technology to my advantage is by making animations, which is not really possible with just pencil and paper. I plan on using technology to my advantage in the near future by using it to complete future projects faster, and to do things like make videos for future assignments. I plan on using technology to my advantage in the long term by programming, which I think could be a possible future career for myself in the future.

During this project I also made three different things: 

A voice note for my audio idea

A animation for my video idea

And a wire sculpture for my kinaesthetic idea

This represents habits 1 and 2. The man is being proactive by committing to his path and overcoming roadblocks. The man began with the end in mind as he brought a rope because he knew that there would be roadblocks that he had to overcome

Thank you for reading my blog and have a great day

Metaphor Machines post

This is how I solved the driving question for the Metaphor Machines Scimatics project.

I will write the answer to this at the bottom of my post.  For this project we had to make a Rube Goldberg machine about the scientific method.

Here is the video of our Rube Goldberg machine:

Video (no voiceover)

This is my review and process of creating the Rube Goldberg machine.

I think that if I were to do it again then I would probably make the machine more complicated, and.

I think that the finished machine looks pretty cool, and I am proud of the final result.

The Curricular Competencies for this project are:

1.  Questioning and Predicting: Demonstrate a sustained intellectual curiosity about a scientific topic or problem of personal interest

This means that I can use all class time is used efficiently for learning without distractions.

I think that I did okay for this competency as I really was interested in making the Rube Goldberg machine, and I put a lot of work and thought into it, but I got distracted a few times.

2)   Reasoning and Analyzing: Estimate reasonably

This means that my final blueprint is complete and accurate. Contains grid scale. All measurements are labeled with a high degree of accuracy. All lines are easily distinguished.

I think I did okay for this competency, because I completed this criteria, but it took a few revisions.

3)   Planning and conducting: Select and use appropriate equipment, including digital technologies, to systematically and accurately collect and record data

This means that I can make hand built series and parallel circuits are used to good effect with efficiency in your metaphor machine. Accurate circuit diagrams are included in the final blueprint. Diagrams use proper symbols. Diagrams are neat and easy to understand. Measurements of current, voltage and resistance are included.

I think I did well for the hand built circuits, but I did not have that accurate diagrams in my blueprint, and the symbols were not the proper symbols.

The steps that I took to make the Rube Goldberg machine were:

Milestone 1:  For this milestone we made our project start mind map

Here is my project end mind map

Milestone 2:  For this milestone we preformed three different experiments involving electricity

Milestone 3:  For this milestone we did a khan academy quiz on scale diagrams

Milestone 4:  For this milestone we made a two blueprints for our Rube Goldberg machine, one by ourselves and one with our group.

Milestone 5:  For this milestone we finished our machine and added the voiceover.

The link is here ⬇️

FullSizeRender (video with voiceover)

Milestone 6:  For this milestone we made the blog post which I am doing right now.

I learned a lot about the scientific method in this project

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, and have a great day.

Festival Research

Festival – Marrakech Popular Arts Festival

Where – Marrakech, Morocco 

What time of year – June or July

Culture – entertainers and artists from Europe and Asia

Things to do at the festival – 

• See gardens in Saadian Tombs or Majorelle gardens
  • street vendors and tourist shops
  • fire-swallowers
  • fortune-tellers
  • story-tellers
  • singers
  • snake charmers 
  • dancers 
  • acrobats
  • craftsmen
  • trick horse riders
  • theatre performers and musicians
  • belly dancers
  • Combines modern entertainment with ancient folk dances

Festival – Floriade

Where – Almere, Netherlands

What time of year – September-October 

Culture – nature lovers and eco-culture

What – international horticulture show, organized every ten years since 1960. 

Things to do at the festival – 

• Planting Trees in parks to restore a sustainable eco system

• Seeing new eco-friendly inventions

• Enjoying beautiful flowers, plants, and produce.

Festival – Songkran

Where – All of Thailand

What time of year – April 13, holiday extends from the 14th to the 15th 

To allow people to travel to be with their families.

Culture – Thai culture. Thai New Years celebration

Things to do at the festival –

• water fights
  • Visit family
  • Go to parades
  • Visit Buddhist temples
  • Pour water on Buddhist statues, young people, and old people
  • “Lady Songkran” or “Miss Songkran” is crowned 

Festival – Kwita Izina 

Where – Rwanda

What time of year – September

Culture –  Rwandan culture 

What –  Kwita Izina means “to give a name” in the local language. It last  a week to raise awareness and money about mountain gorillas and their expanding territory.

Things to do at the festival –  

• gorilla naming ceremony for the gorillas born in Volcanoes national park.
  • Conference
  • Workshops
  • Traditional music
  • Dancing
  • Performances from the local students and artists
  • International celebs, dignitaries, and the president attend

Festival – Hermanus Whale Festival

Where – Cape Town South Africa 

What time of year –  Late September- to early October 

Culture –  N/A 

What – A Whale watching Festival taking place in late September and early October when Southern Right Whales return to warmer water of walker bay after being in the attic seas, festival guests watch from the shore.

Things to do at the festival – 

• Go whale watching
  • Learn about whales
  • Entertainers and musicians
  • Food stalls
  • Kid events
  • Eco-marine tent -inspire visitors though informative, colourful, interactive displays, films, music, arts and food, and informative talks by marine biologists and experts.
  • Arts and crafts
  • Street parade
  • Orchid show
  • Classic car show
  • Music festival
  • Beach clean up
  • Pirate and mermaid treasure hunt
  • Festival – Abu Simbel Sun Festival

Where – Egypt 

What time of year – Feb. 22nd

Culture – Started mainly Egyptian, but now is open to everyone

What – For a short period of time, the sun aligns perfectly to illuminate the inner sanctum of the normally dark interior. This causes the statue of Ramses II to become bright. This event has been taking place for over 3,200 years.

Things to do at the festival –

• gather before sunrise outside the temple.
  • Watch the sun rise and illuminate the temples inner chamber
  • Look at cool statues
  • Explore the temple – entrance, two treasury rooms, Hypostyle hall, second pillared hall, the famous sanctuary where the 4 main statues are.
  • After the morning;
  • traditional Nubian dance
  • Live music
  • Food stalls – fresh koshari = Egypts national dish consisting of rice, pasta and lentils in a spiced tomato sauce.

Festival –  La Tomatina

Where – Bunol, Spain

What time of year – last Wednesday of August

Culture – Spanish. N/A

What- First started out of a child throwing a tomato in a fit of rage and turned into a tomato fight. The next few years after that the tradition was carried on by a few teens but the police eventually shut it down. After overwhelming requests from the townspeople, it has now become a year ly tradition in the town.

Things to do at the festival –

• 1 hour long tomato fight
  • The acid in the tomato’s act as a cleaning agent for the buildings around the fight, leaving them sparkling clean once all of the tomato’s are washed off.

Festival – Timpanogos Storytelling festival 

Where – Lehi, Utah – online this year

What time of year – September

Culture –

Things to do at the festival – 

• People tell stories 

• musicians
  • Puppeteers
  • Magicians 
  • Entertainers
  • Potter
  • Family tent for young children
  • Friday evening at the golf culb
  • Lunch and dinner meals
  • Hotels and tv parks

Festival – Pushkar Camel Fair

Where – Pushkar India 

What time of year – Usually in November depends on the cycle of moon

Culture – Indian 

Things to do at the festival – 

• Hot air ballons, 
  • camels, 
  • musicians, 
  • bathing in holy water, 
  • scammers, 
  • Camel Charisma, 
  • the “maha aarti” a fire and light offering ceremony.

Festival –  Cooper’s Hill Cheese-Rolling Festival

Where – Cooper’s Hill in Gloucester, England

What time of year – The time it takes place is the first Monday of Spring Break

Culture – British People 

Things to do at the festival –  

• Watch others chase a wheel of cheese down a very steep hill. 
  • If you are feeling confident, you could be the person to chase the cheese down the hill.
  • Buy cheese
  • Purchase assorted trinkets and jewelry
  • Eat at food stalls and trucks
  • Get your face painted

Festival Research Cheese Rolling 🧀

Every year tons of people gather to watch others chase a wheel of cheese down a very steep hill. This practice is surprisingly dangerous, and known to cause injuries. This festival takes place at Cooper’s Hill in Gloucester, England.
The time it takes place is the first Monday of Spring Break.
The cheese weights 7-9 pounds and it is a circle of cheese. The cheese is coated in a wooden casing to protect the cheese as it rolls down the hill. In 2013 Caleb Stadler somehow managed to catch the cheese as it was rolling down the hill. The cheese can reach speeds of up to 40 km per hour, which is due to the hill being quite steep. This festival has existed for 2 whole centuries, and there has been many injuries, but I do not know if anyone ever lost their life chasing cheese down a hill.

Destination Imagination Blog Post

DI. As much as I dreaded doing DI again, as I did not particularly enjoy DI last year, it was actually not that bad this year. I was in a team with Carter (blog here), Brooke (blog here), Ben y (blog here) (incomplete), and Jocelyn (blog here)(incomplete). I just want to say that we won the instant challenge! But, I sadly cannot say anything about it other than that we won.🥇 We came second in the normal challenge, which is also pretty good, I think we get a ribbon for second place.🥈 Also if you want to watch our performance the video should be here. ⬇️

Now onto the reflection. Some things that definitely went well with our presentation is that it was funny. That’s not just my opinion, the appraisers actually laughed when we were presenting. At least I think they were laughing at our presentation and not at us. Oh yeah, I am supposed to leave the appraiser sticky notes right here. ⬇️

The appraisers made notes on our presentation, and also quoted parts that they liked, so they put it on sticky notes that we got to take home! Back to the reflection, I think some more things that went well is that we got the Cooper’s Hill Cheese Rolling Festival. A link to my research on it here. ⬇️

Festival Research Cheese Rolling 🧀

The reason it is good that we got the Cheese 🧀 Rolling Festival is that we all knew a lot about that festival, as it was really interesting. Another thing that went well in our presentation is how we all had very similar ideas when we were creating our improvised script. (I suggest you watch the video if you do not know what I mean.) The fact that we had similar ideas was really helpful when we were presenting, because when someone improvised something that we had not planned when we had out planning time, then the feast of the group just went with it and didn’t get confused. The last thing that went well was that we used all our time. Now onto the things that didn’t go so well. Most of the things that didn’t go that well did not happen when we were at the tournament. One thing that didn’t work out for us was that Brooke forgot her watch. When she realized that she forgot it she was pick Carter and I up at Park Gate. We went to buy a watch but all of them were sold out, then we got one from Carter’s house but it turned out to be dead. Then another thing that didn’t go that well was how we ran out of time in our presentation. This was partly because of the previous unfortunate turn of events, but it wasn’t all bad. This meant that we used all of the time possible, and that we didn’t have to create an ending. Another reason this was not entirely bad was that we ran out of time at the exact second that I was supposed to roll down the hill after the cheese, and I really did not want to have to do that for two reasons: The first reason is that I just did not want to have to do that, and the second reason is that we were on flat ground, and the cheese was square.🪤 The third (I think) thing that went bad is that Jocelyn missed out presentation. She was there for the instant challenge, but not the normal presentation. Now correct me if I’m wrong but I believe that the reason she was late was that: first, her electric car died, then she took a taxi to the wrong school, then she had to walk from the junior school to the senior school. Now that I’m finished with the what went well and what didn’t, I’m going to talk about our process. Here is a 

Burn🔥Down chart of our progress over time. ⬇️

So the first thing we did was research our festival, which was just where we looked at different websites and took information from them. Next we got boxes, which was just Carter and Jocelyn, as they had boxes at their houses. We also did rehearsals and improv practices during this time. After that we got all of our festival research, and put it into this ⬇️ festival binder.

Festival Research

Once we were done our festival binder we were told to revise it, so we did. I highly recommend looking at the BurnDown chart, as it is basically a timeline of what we did for our project and when. The BurnDown also shows how much work we did on the dates that we made progress. Well, that is all for today so, thank you for ready my blog, and I hope you have a great day.

Loon Lake

This blog post is not going to be one of my typical blog post as this is not about a project, this is about a field trip that we did to loon lake. Loon lake surprisingly did not have any loons and we did not get to swim, but it was fun nonetheless. 

This is my review of our trip to loon lake, and our learning advance.

We made a book during this trip and you can view it here

During this trip we did some pretty fun things with laser tag, and archery among those things.

I really liked this trip and I would love to do another learning advance or whatever it is called. 

I think that I needed to go to bed on time as during the trip I found it difficult to go to sleep and then when I woke up in the morning it was a difficult task to get out of bed. I also want to point out that the rooms we had were quite nice and big. I think that I learned how to work better with a team during the learning advance and I think this is mainly because of all the activities we did that were team based. We did a team scavenger hunt, capture the flag, laser tag, battle archery, and I’m probably forgetting some but there was a lot. 

Here is some stuff from our learning advance:

I liked the laser tag thing and the guns we were using were really precise with different modes and power ups and such which was cool and I really liked that the teachers set us up to do something like that and I want to thank them for that.

We also did the battle archery, which was like archery but the arrows had marshmallows on the tip and you shot the opposing team with arrows but like dodgeball with obstacles to hide behind. I also want to say thank you to the organizers of that, and also just to thank everyone for the entire trip as it was really fun and I really enjoyed it. I also made a few new friends during the trip and the cabins were very nice. The lake was huge and cool, even though we didn’t get to swim in it. The lake also looked really spooky at night and if you looked at it from the right spot on the path at the right time it looked like a bottomless hole in the ground.

Well, thats all I have for today.

Thank you for coming to my blog, and please have a great day

Case For a Nation blog post

This is how I solved the driving question for the Case for a Nation Humanities project. The driving question for this project is: how can an understanding of nationalism of the past, help us make sense of today?

I will write the answer to this at the bottom of my post. For this project we had to make a instagram post about a topic we were given. I chose the Crimean war as my topic.

This is my review and process of creating the instagram post with my group.

I think that if I were to do it again then I would make a more detailed image to go with my quote.

I think that the finished product looks pretty cool, and I am proud of the final result.

1) Communicate Compellingly: I can respectfully exchange ideas and diverse viewpoints to build shared understanding and extend thinking.

I think I did ok for this competency because when we were working on our shared caption and images I clearly explained my ideas to my team and we coordinated to make a caption that conveyed all the necessary information well.

2) Take Historical Perspective: I can infer and explain different perspectives on past and present people, issues, or events by considering prevailing norms, values, and beliefs.

I think I did ok for this competency because I am capable of putting myself into the shoes of someone like Nicholas I of Russia, and that helps we get a better understanding of the different perspectives of people who participated in the war.

The steps that I took to make this were:

Keystone 1:  For this keystone we did a nationalism jigsaw, and I will leave the link to it here.

Keystone 2:  For this keystone we made these four images.

Image 1: Luca

Image 2: Carter

Image 3: me

Image 4: Ewan

Keystone 3:  For this keystone we made a instagram post

Link here (not yet posted)

I made this instagram post with Carter (blog here) Ewan (blog here) and Luca (blog here)

Part 4:   For this milestone we made the blog post which I am doing right now.

We also made a Current Events presentation which I will leave here.

As the answer to the driving question, (long detailed answer to the driving question

I learned a lot about nationalism and how it is relevant to today, like how Russia seems to be reacting out of greed and not strategy, like how they acted at the start of the Crimean war.