Correlation vs Causation Scimatics project

This is how I solved the driving question for the Correlation vs Causation Scimatics project.  The driving question for this project is: What is the difference between correlation and causation.

I will write the answer to this at the bottom of my post. For this project we had to make a presentation and a survey. The presentation had to contain a chart evaluating the data on our survey.

Here is the project start mind map

Here is the presentation that we made for our project

This is my review and process of creating the presentation.

I think that if I were to do it again then I would make all the questions in the survey multiple choice, as a lot of people gave strange answers when they had the option to type their own.

I think that the graph looks pretty cool, and I am proud of the final result.

The Curricular Competencies for this project are:

1.  Planning and conducting: Select and use appropriate equipment, including digital technologies, to systematically and accurately collect and record data.

This means that two correlations are found using well crafted survey results. The survey results and correlations are are displayed and explained through presentation software. At least two graphs are analyzed to confirm correlation.

I think I did well in this competency as we were able to show quite strong correlations, and we also showed a strong form of causation.

2)   Communicating and Representing: Use mathematical vocabulary and language to contribute to mathematical discussions

This means that verbal and pictorial explanations help the audience to understand the circumstances where both correlation and causation are present, and also where a correlation is falsely associated with causation. A logical explanation for causation is explored for one case.

I think I did well in this competency, as we had a good explanation for our causation and how the correlated data is influenced.

3)   Applying and Innovating: Contribute to care for self, others, community, and world through individual or collaborative approaches

This means that good ethics are followed when conducting surveys. All class time is used efficiently for learning without distractions.

I think I did okay with this competency as we had ethical questions in our survey, but I did get distracted a few times during the project.

The steps that I took to make this game were:

Milestone 1:  For this milestone we made a project start mind map in MindNode

Milestone 2:  For this milestone we used the template in numbers to conduct a survey

Milestone 3:  For this milestone we made a document that explained which correlations we would be looking for, and how we will use the numbers template to plot the data.

Milestone 4:  For this milestone we plotted the data of 2 survey questions

Milestone 5:  For this milestone we made an outline for our presentation.

Milestone 6:  For this milestone we made a finished copy of our presentation and presented it.

Milestone 7:  For this milestone we made the blog post which I am doing right now.

As the answer to the driving question, the difference between correlation and causation is that correlation does not mean that one of the pieces of data influences the other, but causation does.

I learned a lot about correlations in this project.

Here is a the finished project.

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, and have a great day.

People and the environment Humanities

This is how I solved the driving question for the People and the Environment Humanities project.  The driving question for this project is: How do people and the environment affect each other.

For this project we had to make a letter to a important person and the letter has to be about the environment.

Here is the letter that I made

This is my review and process of creating the letter:

I think that if I were to do it again then I would make the letter longer and contain more info.

I think that the finished letter looks pretty cool, and I am proud of the final result.

The Success criteria for this project were:

1) I can analyze how texts use literary devices to enhance both meaning and impact.

I can analyze how texts use literary devices to enhance both meaning and impact.

This means that I have completed all CommonLit Readings and responded to how authors construct meaning. This also means that I use the CommonLit Readings as exemplars of structure, mood, and persuasion techniques.

I think I did ok for this part of the criteria, as I got ok marks on the commonlits

2)   I can use writing and design processes to plan, develop, and create original, engaging, and meaningful texts for a variety of purposes and audiences.

This means that I can identify a specific environmental topic of interest to research, design, and develop text. I can also identify specific authentic audience and work together with group to identify target goal.

I think I did well in this part of the criteria, as I found a topic of interest and spent a lot of time researching that topic.

3)   I can reflect, assess, and refine texts to improve clarity, effectiveness, and impact for purpose, audience, and message.

This means that I can complete all CommonLit Writing activities to apply to letter writing. I can present a letter to a senior PLP student for critique. I can revise and create multiple drafts of letter for clarity and effectiveness.

I think I did ok in this part of the criteria, as I created multiple drafts of my letter and revised it quite a  few times, but I did not do well on connecting my letter to the commonlit activities as I did not complete the outline soon enough.

Milestone 1:  For this milestone we made an outline for our letter.

Milestone 2:  For this milestone we did peer critique for our letter.

Milestone 3:  For this milestone we read commonlit stories about the environment.

Milestone 4:  For this milestone we connected our letter to the commonlit stories.

Milestone 5:  For this milestone we finished our letter and sent it through the mail.

Milestone 6:  For this milestone we made the blog post which I am doing right now.

I learned a lot about how we are destroying the environment, and how to help stop it.

Here is a picture of the finished project being mailed

Game of exponent laws blog post

This is how I solved the driving question for the Game of exponent laws Scimatics project.  The driving question for this project is: How does math make games more complex, interesting, and re-playable?

I will write the answer to this at the bottom of my post.  For this project we had to create a physical card game that uses exponent laws and invite another grade of PLP to play our game.

Here is the map for the game

Here is the cards in the game

This is my review and process of creating the game.

I think that if I were to do it again then I would try to make it less complicated, as it was an extremely complex game.

I think that the overall game is pretty fun, and I am proud of the final result.

1.  Reasoning and Analyzing: Use logic and patterns to solve puzzles and play games

This means that a clear and simple points system and win conditions for the game are carefully designed.

I think that I could have done better in this competency, as the win conditions and points were designed, but it was extremely complicated.

2)  Communicating and Representing: Represent mathematical ideas in concrete, pictorial, and symbolic forms

This means that a set of clear, complete, interesting and personalized instructions are

created for how each player takes their turn. Examples are included. The game design uses at least 4 different exponent laws and using these laws is integrated into each player’s turn.

I think that I did okay with this competency, as we went to great lengths to integrate 4 exponent laws in our game, even though our instructions were not as clear as preferable.

This means that all class time is used efficiently for learning without distractions. All group members contribute equally.

I think I did well with this competency at the start because I was sick for the first bit, I made up for it by spending a lot of time and effort making the cards and helping make the rules more understandable.

Milestone 1:  For this milestone we made an interesting and unique dice rolling game with our group and collaboratively wrote detailed instructions.

Milestone 2:  For this milestone we watched a video on exponents and did an exponent quiz.

Milestone 3:  For this milestone we did a written test on exponents.

Milestone 4:  For this milestone we split into groups and wrote an outline for our game

Milestone 5:  For this milestone we made made the cards for our game and finished the rules

Milestone 6:  For this milestone we presented our game to other people

As the answer to the driving question, math makes a game more interesting because then the game is not just luck, it has some strategy too.

I learned a lot about exponents in this project

Here is a picture of the finished project.

Post:1

Grad 2025

Established September 2021

Let’s vote! We should pass 7 of these!

• Respect yourself and others  5
• Read the Room
Creative risks are welcome and supported 0
• Be responsible for your time and actions and things 1
• Focus on the task at hand 4 /
• We push for collective and personal success  3
• We operate in a gloat free zone 1

I have read these norms. I will uphold all of these norms in all of my PLP classes.

(disclaimer: https://www.blog44.ca/noahd/2021/09/10/post2/)

How to be a pessimist

What is the meaning of life?

A lot of people may try to have an optimistic point of view on this topic, but there really is no reason to do the things that we do. We learn to speak so that we can communicate with others, then we go to preschool to prepare for elementary school. We go to elementary school to prepare for high school, or for some people middle school, which prepares us for high school. Once you’re in high school you have to work extra hard to get into a good university to get a good job. Once you have a good job you work really hard to get enough money to survive and maybe feed your family if you have one. Every now and then you go on fun trips and if you work hard enough, maybe you can have a nice retirement. Once you are retired you can go explore the world, but you can’t experience the things you could’ve enjoyed when you were younger because your body is starting to break down and you’ve spent most of your life working your ass off. You’ve wasted your golden years, and you can’t do the things you planned to do your entire life. If you’re a optimist then you forget all of that and try to make the most of what you have left and look back on the best parts of your life. No matter what, chances are you die having never achieved your goals in life. But that doesn’t mean that you can’t have an optimistic point of view on life, I highly recommend that 

Comic Cells blog post

This is how I solved the driving question for the comic cells Scimatics project.  The driving question for this project is: how are life processes performed at the cellular level.

I will write the answer to this at the bottom of my post.  For this project we had to make a comic book about a virus or photosynthesis.

Here is the finished comic book

This is my review and process of creating the comic book.

I think that if I were to do it again then I would spend more time on the rough draft.

I think that the rhinovirus looks pretty cool, and I am proud of it.

1. Questioning and predicting: Demonstrate a sustained curiosity about a scientific topic or problem of personal interest.

This means that all class time is used for learning and creating a comic book story about cellular processes and/or diseases.

I didn’t do the best on this competency because I got distracted a few times when I was supposed to be doing my work a few times.

2)   Scientific communication: communicate ideas, findings, and solutions to problems using scientific language, representations, and digital technologies

This means that correct vocabulary and accurate diagrams are used. At least 10 interesting science vocabulary words are included in the story.

I think I did okay with this competency as I purposely integrated quite a few scientific words into my final comic book.

3)    Evaluating: Demonstrate an understanding and appreciation of evidence

This means that cell/bacteria/virus characters interact in a scientific way. Symptoms and logical outcomes of the chosen disease/cellular/ body process are integrated into the story.

I did okay with this competency because I showed how the virus infects the cell to spread throughout the body

Milestone 1:  For this milestone we made a mind map of information about cells

Milestone 2:  For this milestone we made a disease wanted poster which I will show here

Milestone 3:  For this milestone we did a test on cells

Milestone 4:  For this milestone we made a rough draft for our comic book

Milestone 5:  For this milestone we made our comic book which I displayed at the top

As the answer to the driving question, life processes are preformed through conversion of energy through cells.

I learned a lot about the rhinovirus and common cold in this project

I have a picture of the finished comic book at the top.

Ultimate Design Challenge blog post

This is how I solved the driving question for the Ultimate Design Challenge Scimatics project.  The driving question for this project is: How can the relationship between surface area and volume of 3D objects be used to describe, measure, and compare spatial relationships.

I will write the answer to this at the bottom of my post.  For this project we had to design an object in Tinkercad as a group, and find the surface area and volume of that object.

Here is my heatsink that I made in Tinkercad, which is part of the motor kit our group made.

Here are the measurements of that heatsink.

Here is the expanded version of the heatsink.

This is my review and process of creating the motor kit and finding the surface area + volume.

I think that if I were to do it again then I would make the panels of the heatsink larger, as they were too small which resulted in my object not having maximum surface area.

I think that the final motor kit looks pretty cool, and I am proud of the final result.

1. Applying and innovating: Contribute to care for self, others, community, and world through personal or collaborative approaches.

This means that all class time is used efficiently for learning without distractions.

I think I did okay with this part of the Curricular Competencies, as I spent most of my time working on the main project, but sometimes I would get sidetracked and start making a different project in Tinkercad that was not part of this project.

2)  Reasoning and Analyzing: Model mathematics in contextualized experiences

This means that A 3D object is designed using TinkerCad or other design software. The design is optimized for either maximum volume or maximum surface area. The design should include at least 10 basic 3D shapes and a model should also be built cooperatively for groups of 3.

I think I did okay with this part of the Curricular Competencies, because I spent a lot of time and effort on my Tinkercad project, but I did not achieve my goal of maximum surface area

3)   Communicating and Representing: Explain and justify mathematical ideas and decisions

This means that The surface area and volume are measured, calculated, and compared for efficiency. These factors are explained in detail in a keynote presentation to the class.

For this Curricular Competency I measured my surface area and volume, but during the presentation I only showed my surface area and volume, and did not explain how I got the calculations.

Milestone 1:  For this milestone we decided on what we were going to make for our 3D model as a group

Milestone 2:  For this milestone we built a prototype of our 3D model.

Milestone 3:  For this milestone we calculated the volume and surface area of our 3d model

Milestone 4:  For this milestone we got our model 3d printed

Milestone 5:  For this milestone we presented our 3d model

As the answer to the driving question, the relationship between surface area and volume of 3D objects can be used to describe, measure, and compare spatial relationships through math.

I learned a lot about how to find the volume and surface area of shapes

Here is a picture of the finished motor kit that we made as a group.

Chemistry Coding blog post

This is how I solved the driving question for the Chemistry Coding Scimatics project.  The driving question for this project is: how can the behaviour of matter can be explained by the kinetic molecular theory and atomic theory.
I will write the answer to this at the bottom of my post.  For this project we had to make a game or simulation in scratch that showed the kinetic molecular theory and the atomic theory.

Here is a picture of all the code that went in my simulation:

Here is a picture of all the code in my game:

This is my review and process of creating my game and simulation

I think that if I were to do it again then I would put more work into the game, as the game was slightly bugged.

I think that the simulation is pretty cool, and I am proud of the final result.
I also like the game, but I am more proud of the simulation

Questioning and predicting: Demonstrate a sustained curiosity about a scientific topic or problem of personal interest.

I think I did ok with this part of the Curricular Competencies, as I was using most of my class time on the scratch project, but on arcade day I also played some video games that were not on scratch on my iPad.

2) Scientific communication: communicate ideas, findings, and solutions to problems using scientific language, representations, and digital technologies.

This means that several different atoms/ molecules, different states of matter, and particle motion are represented in the finished product. A historical model of the atom is chosen and implemented.

I think I did well on this part of the Curricular Competencies, as I had two atom models and two models of molecules in my simulation. I also had gravity, a liquid state indicator, a solid state indicator, and gas state indicator in my game. The particles in my game bounced off of each other, and would slowly drift toward each other in the simulation. I had a nuclear and a cloud model for my atoms. For the nuclear model, which was a Neon atom, the electrons would rotate around the nucleus, and the speed of the rotating electrons would change depending on the temperature of the container. If you had enough patience to bring the temperature to 300 while using the Neon atom, then the molecules would get ripped away from the atom, and a indicator stating that you have entered the plasma state would show.

3) Reasoning and analyzing: Use logic and patterns (including coding) to solve puzzles and play games.

This means that an interactive Scratch coded matter simulator or game is created with logical conditions and functional user controls.

I think I did well for this part of the Curricular Competencies, as I made it so that you could change the temperature of the container using the left and right arrow keys, you could change the model of atom or molecule using the up arrow key, you could toggle the gravity using the space bar, you could create more particles using the 1 key, and you could break the container if there were too many particles or if you increased the temperature enough

Milestone 1: For this milestone we made a mind map in MindNode about matter and the kinetic molecular theory and I will show the picture here:

Milestone 2:  For this milestone we drew our atomic models for the simulation in Sketches Pro, and I will show them here:

Milestone 3:  For this milestone we did a test
on the atomic theory.

Milestone 4:  For this milestone we made a list of
features that our simulator will have

Milestone 5:  For this milestone we made the actual game and simulation.
(Links here ⬇️)
Simulation    Game

As the answer to the driving question, the behaviour of matter can be shown through a simulation.

I learned a lot about atoms in this project, like how it is impossible to predict where electrons will be in a given moment.

More Things Change Summative Blog Post

Hello there, and welcome back to my blog

Today I am going to be talking about the More Things Change project.

Here is my infographic, which I made with my partner Xander during this projects:

This is my review and process of creating the infographic.

I think that if I were to do it again I would be more concerned about the time limit for the video, as I had to speed everything in the video up because it took too long.

I think that the infographic looks pretty good, and I am proud of the final result, even though the video needs some changes.

1) Identifying Continuity and Change: How are lives and conditions alike over time and how have they changed.

This means that I can characterize different time periods in history, including periods if progress and decline, and identifying key turning points that mark periods of change.

I think that I could have done more for this area of the Curricular Competencies, as I did not talk a lot about continuity and change in my infographic.

2) Establish Historical Significance: How do we make choices about what is worth remembering?

This means that I can asses the credibility of multiple sources and the adequacy of evidence used to justify conclusions.

I did ok with this part of the curricular competencies, as I mainly used the sources placed in basecamp by the teachers, but I did not really know if those sources were credible.

The steps that I took to make this infographic were:

Milestone 1:  For this Milestone we sat in a spot near the school and wrote what things we thought changed and stayed the same in this spot overtime.

Milestone 2:  For this Milestone we got into groups and assessed different subjects, like conflict and war in the time of New France.

Milestone 3:  For this Milestone we created the blueprint for our infographic with our partners.

Milestone 4:  For this Milestone we had our infographic critiqued by classmates.

Milestone 5:  For this milestone we put up our infographic, and I will put the photo here:

Thank you for visiting my blog and have a great day. Also if you want to check out the museum for yourself I will leave the link right here.