Run!

Hello world it’s me randy again, after a such long time of resting and break I’m finally back blogging my projects again. Today I’m going to reflect on my first maker project of the year called « running a remake ». This project was mainly about filming and editing, and the final product was a recreation of a YouTube video. Now lets dig in deeper into the process.
The driving question was: How might we learn video skills by recreating a short film.
In this project I was assigned into a group with five people: Nate, Annie Jordan and Jakub. We had four boys and one girl but the final product still turned out really well, which was quite surprising. On the first day we were doing milestone one which was shooting a video of introducing myself, we did this because there were two new students in PLP and the teachers want us to get used to be on cams. On the second day we started working the project.
We started off the whole project with launching the basic knowledge of what we were doing. As a group we asked some useful questions, such as ‘‘is Santa real?’’ ‘‘When can we start filming, and what kind of cameras are we supposed to use…etc’’. The teacher show us a short film, and asked us to recreate the film with exact angles, timing, audio, scenes and costume. Here is the video(run).

The next day we went outside and filmed our first draft. We had the costumes and the storyboard ready, the lighting was just perfect that day and we spent about three hours to film the whole video scene by scene. Afterwards me, Nate and Annie went outside again to record the audio. That afternoon we roughly finished the first draft and presented it to the class. Here is the copy:

We knew that it was not perfect but at least it was better some other group’s. After school we discussed how to improve on the first draft. For example: make a better costume, let the actor be more realistic, audio changes, etc. The very next day we went outside again and refilmed the whole video again. This time it was way easier, we also finished a lot earlier, which brings our group a lot more time editing. Here is the final copy:

My answer to the driving question: as a group we were able to learn video skills by trying to get the same timing, shots, angles… when we were editing we learned how to make the video just the way we wanted, when we were shooting the clips we tried our best to keep the camera angles straight and the way we want them to be, we learned how to record the audio and edit them to match the film. Most importantly we learned how to create a film as a group together.

Sustainable blue sky

Hi guys, it’s me Randy again. Today I’m going to reflect on my last maker project of the year—sustainable blue sky. In this project we were asked to create and design something by ourselves, and at some point it has to help the world.
Because of the Coronavirus outbreak, we only have access to some materials at home, and for me I had wood, plants, and a green house. So I decided why don’t my topic be about gardening. Then I had this wonderful idea of self watering pot in my mind, then started to work on it.

The way that self watering pot can help the world is by making gardening easier, and then people would think that gardening isn’t that hard, and eventually they will have their own. Because of the home garden out there, the plants can produce more air, and this will definitely help with the air pollution problem. After all of those thinking I started to work with my dad on the pot. After two days the pot was made, so then I started to work on the self water system. I made a bucket filled with water, and at the bottom it has a hole, and my turning the cap of the bucket the rate of dripping water changes. I also made a handle to hang the bucket, turns out that it works really well.
The whole process was recorded in my launch journal, please check it out.

In this project I learned woodworking with my dad, and it was really fun. Hopefully my product can actually help the world and make the air better.

New France

Hi guys it’s me Randy again, today is a special day. Me and my classmates fished our projects and we are ready to move on, summer break is tomorrow and today is my last day of being a grade 8, and at this point I’m going to be reflecting on my last humanities project.

This project was still about people in back then, and the driving question was “what did the artifacts teach us about settlement peoples, and life in New France?” Basically I’ve chosen an artifact that was found in New France after I did some research on it, I wrote a creative story that connects the artifacts to a person that lived in New France. I made up a person called Blanche Jean Paul based on the research that I did on people that lived in New France, he was a unlicensed fur trader and because his friend thatgot killed by the government, so he decided to just become a farmer and have a nice family, then he met his future wife and married. The artifact comes in when they married and his wife drew him when he was farming.  If you are interested in some specific details of my story then please check it out.

The book

We learned knowledge about the start of Canada in this project, and mainly from milestone 2, 3, and 4. For each of them we learned how people and things lived in New France. I chose my person and artifact at that point, and after I just jumped right into the story spine. The first draft of the story spine was not good, but the second one was awesome. After it got approved I just wrote the story about “Blanch Jean Paul the unlicensed fur trader”.

After all I think I learned a lot in this project, in the story I showed how people lived in New France. And I also made my artifact specific and related to my character.

Where would you go for a road trip

Hi and welcome to site, today I’m going to be reflecting on a short project that I just finished, it was a scimatics project, and it was about spending ten thousand dollars on a road trip. First I decided that my vehicle was going to be a minivan, and then I decided where to go. I really like fossils, so I made this awesome schedule to Alberta. First I listed some one time expenses, and then I listed some everyday expenses, for ten days. After all the calculations my total cost was 9998, which was very close to ten thousand. 

Now let’s talk about the competencies,

Reasoning and analyzing: the cost for every single item that was in the trip was accurate.

Connect and reflect: my trip was very unique, because I went to Alberta for fossil hunting, and the total cost was really close to ten thousand.

Communicating and representing: my graph was very accurate and so was my equation

.

After all the trip that I planned was very unique, and fun, so I think I did very well.

Tpol 2020

Hey guys, and welcome to my first Tpol. In today’s post I will be talking about some progress that I made this year and also some things that I could improve on for next year. After I went though all the blog posts that I wrote this year, I’ve realized that my marks were going higher, and mainly because I got a lot more used to the technology and I also deleted all the games on my iPad since the last mPOL, I got way less distracted from entertainments after I stopped playing clash Royale on my iPad. after I stopped playing games,  I had more time for guitar practice and basketball, I even joined the school badminton team because I wanted more exercise.

Now let’s talk about some projects that I’ve done, my favorite ones are DI, argh matey, and chemistry coding, for each of them we had to create and design something by our own, for DI my team design a bridge out of cards, for argh matey I wrote a story around Magellan and smallpox, for chemistry coding I made a geometry dash by writing my own codes, for each of them I had to do a lot of research and most importantly they were fun. Especially chemistry coding, after we finished coding our games, we showed them to each other and apparently my was way too hard to play, so I had to shut down some of my obstacles in the game in order to let mr.gross grade my project, and anybody want to know how I learned coding, well I found a geometry dash tutorial on YouTube, and after watching it for several times I’ve learned it. But don’t forget it was a scimatics project, I also learned a lot about atoms, but it was really boring.  The most knowledgeable project I’ve done should definitely be argh matey, it was scimatics and humanities combined project, I learned tones of knowledge about the exploration ages and the smallpox virus, then I wrote a creative story, between smallpox and Magellan, it turns out that mr.gross really liked my story, and give me a rainbow. Lastly destination imagination, what can I say about it…it was just having fun together and teamwork? Many people think that DI is just a waste of time but I think team work is important, and knowing how to work with my best friends is important too. The grades for milestones that did in the beginning of the year was about emerging or developing, and now they are mostly accomplished or even extending, I really made some process this year, and hopefully I will do it even better. And the least favorite projects of the year are probably it’s the end of the world, and Star Wars mini blue sky. The reasons for it’s the end of the world was because I didn’t like singing or writing lyrics, the reason for Star Wars was because it was my first blue sky, and my product was completely off topic, so it was a little bit embarrassing to present it in front of people. Now let’s talk about my goals for next year

Screen time should definitely be one of my big focus next year because I’ve been trying to keep drown my screen time everyday, but it didn’t work well as I expected, another goal is to eat less bacon, as you already know I’m obsessed with bacon and I’ve eaten it way too much during quarantine.
I would also want to get my humanities mark higher, and to get there I will have to spend more time on it and do more English practice after school. I signed up for woodworking instead of gym for next year, because I feel like basketball academy is enough for me. For this blue sky project that I’m doing right now, it’s about making a self watering pot, so me and my dad bought some woods and made a pot out of it, I find it really interesting and  hopefully I can improve my skills at the woodworking class.

By the way my basketball academy classes are going to be here at Seycove instead of park gate for next year, so that way I can hang out with my friends at lunch everyday. Right now I’m super excited for grade 9. I tried out some new books this year, English and Chinese, my goals for next year is to read 20 books at least. Lastly and most importantly is my math, as you probably know I’m really good at math but apparently I got a B on my report card, it was such a shame to me, the reason was I didn’t work with my group that well, so for next year I’ll try to interact with them more, and maybe help them at math. It has been a short year after all, because of the Corona virus pandemic, but at home I worked really hard too, usually I wake up at 8:30, and after breakfast I’ll play guitar for half an hour, and the rest of the day is just for school work and books, after three, I usually play ping pong with my parents, and I scheduled my daily life pretty well so don’t worry about it. This is the end of the year, happy summer break guys!!!

Photojournalism

Hi guys it’s your boy Randy again, 

Today I’m going to reflect on a maker project that I just finished, it was about taking photos and making photo essays. Since we were all in quarantine, so my teacher have decided to make the driving question “How can we, as photojournalists, tell stories of our community during this period of physical distancing?” For this project we were asked to make a book that tells a story with some still images and some descriptions. For the first few weeks we were mainly launching and building knowledge, most milestones really helped me to answer the driving  question, especially milestone 2-when we had to interview some one from our community. I chose to interview my neighbor’s kid and there was a similarity between us, online classes, and that was when I decided what my topic was going to be. I realized that I had online math classes out side of school and I thought that would be a good topic, the class was supposed to be face to face but now its online. Some things have happened to this math class during quarantine so I decided to make a book about it.

I started shooting photos after I knew what my story was gonna be about, and after editing they all looked so amazing. So yeah, that was pretty much how I made my book, I also answered the question pretty well because apparently I told a story about my community with photos. Lastly, here is my book.

Book

My own comic book

Hi guys it’s your boy Randy again,

Today I’m gonna reflect on a project that I just finished, it was scimatics and humanities combined project and the final product was a comic book. Though out the whole project we learned how do cells and diseases interact, and what is the historical significance of  my chosen explorer-Magellan.

For this blog post There will be two parts, one for scimatics and one for humanities, I’ll go over them really quickly and after I’ll dive in deeper.

Part one, humanities:

For launch we watched a movie called Osmosis Jones, it was a story about diseases fighting with white blood cells inside a human body, it’s a really interesting story because it was switching around between human life and human body, which was similar to the project I was doing. Our comic books were supposed to be about a significant explorer during the age of exploration which is about 16 centuries, having some kind of interactions with a specific disease. After all the whole story has to make sense and happens during the age of exploration. And then we learned some significant voyages of some explorers at that time, after a week of building knowledge we each had to choose an explorer and do some research about them, I thought that Magellan would be nice since he was the first one that discovered Asia. We also got to read a few comic books, because then we know what should a good comic book look like.

Part two, scimatics:

for launching we did an mind map and listed some of the questions that we had, and for building knowledge we did some khan quizzes about cells and diseases, after all of that, we chose our diseases and started to research about them, I chose smallpox because it was pretty well known and also really deadly.

Lastly we started to make our comic books, we first made a story board which was like the rough version of our final product, the purpose was to tell a story and have some rough sketches of the comic pages. After my story was approved, I started to work on my real comic. My story was about Magellan sailing to the spice island but by the time that they arrived they got the smallpox from the natives and Magellan thought that the native have poisoned them so they started a war, and at the end they lost and returned home with spices.

As a learner I learned how cells and disease interact, and also the history during the exploration ages. And here are the reflections on each competencies.

Questioning and predicting:  all the milestones and the steppingstones are completely to the best of my ability.

Scientific communication: my virus interacted with body cells in the comic book in a scientific way, I also used the correct vocabularies and accurate diagrams.

Evaluating: symptoms and logical out comes of the chosen disease are included in the story.

here is the comic book that I made, click here to see.

DI provincials (at least it was)

Hi guys its me Randy again, today I’m gonna reflect on one of my recent projects called DI. I have a similar post about DI regionals recently, but this time it’s provincials. Well, at least it was going to be provincials, if there was no Coronavirus outbreak. So the teacher decided to make a online (fake)DI challenges for us, I feel like the challenges are way more difficult than the original ones, because presenting is just about face to face, and me and my group can’t even meet up properly. we used an app called ZOOM, and we rehearsed twice before the actual challenge.

Our challenge was about building a bridge with cards and duct tape on stage, but since we left the bridge pieces at school and we don’t have any cards left, I decided to sacrifice some of my Pokémon cards; I recreated the bridge but way smaller. We still made some good changes though, like speak faster so that we have enough time, also we memorized the lines better than  before. 

Since we decided to do the presentation online we had to make some changes to make it perfect, like each person had to build a bridge of something, and use the same background when we talks, change some lines so that it would fit in the situation etc.

After all it was a harsh situation, no one expects to see some super awesome presentations, but we did okay, it could’ve been a lot worse, and our challenge was the hardest, so I’m pretty proud of this.

And here is a link to my DI regionals, feel free to check it out.

DI regionals 

DI regional 2020

Hi guy it’s me Randy again, today I have a new topic to talk about, it’s a competitive and international challenge called Destination Imagination. So first our teachers assigned us to a category, and each category has about 5 people in it, and this year I got assigned to engineering challenge and the challenge itself is about building bridge with only cards and duct tape.

There are a few stages about this challenge, and I am gonna walk you though it quickly.

The first stage was recognize, the main goal here is to know everything about your challenge, and how do you do that? Read the rules!! For the very first week we were reading the rule books, and also highlighting them. 

Second stage: imagine

In this stage we were asked to brainstorm, and specifically about our team names. I came up with a lot of ideas, and one of them was very good so we decided to use that one(low budget bridges co.). 

Stage three: initiate and collaborate

In this section we were mainly forcing on planning, some important things that we have planned were: who is doing what, bridge design, work time schedule, etc…

Stage four: assess 

Our bridge was mostly done at this point, we presented our bridge to the teachers and got back som feedback. We made a lot of changes after that week, and it got a lot better.

Stage five: evaluate and celebrate 

This stage is to let us reflect on the tournament that we just finished, my team went will, we got first place on the instant challenge, and third on the main challenge. but we did have enough time to present so the bridge did really quite work, so we will practice more about the story part so then we can have more time to build the bridge on stage.

Lastly, here is the video of we doing the challenge.

Ill see you next time

It’s the end of our world as we know it

Hi guys today I’m going to reflect on a project that I just finished called “the end of our world”. In this project we were asked to remake a song called “its the end of the world” by REM, and the driving question for this project is “Who or what has challenged your worldview in the transition from elementary school to high school?”

In this project we first started off with an activity that is related to memes, we were asked to make a meme about expected vs reality. And a week after we were studying things that happened in renaissance, we studied about the scientific method, the famous people, what changed and what stayed the same and mainly about the history. Almost about another week later we finally started doing our actual project. 

As I already said we were asked to sing a song, and the song itself is our final product. So we sang twice, the first time we wrote our own lyrics and recorded by ourselves, and the second time we combined two or three people’s lyrics and recorded together, which was a part of our final product, and the other part was about the video, me and my partners sent all of our photos from grade seven to grade eight to a group chat and then I created a video with our song. Lastly I posted our video to YouTube and handed it in to my teacher. 

The whole class watched all our songs together and it was great!!! A lot of people’s final products were better than my group but most were worse, so I still feel pretty confident our my work.

Now it’s milestones reflection time!!

these are the competencies that I used in this project

Create: What literacy skills am I using to write, speak, and represent in the texts I create? for create, I used my literacy skill on writing my lyrics, speaking and representing skills on sing out the song and editing it out.

Cause and Consequence: Who or what influenced events to occur and what were the consequences of those events? My group members influenced me when we were recording the song together by giving me good suggestions, like turn up the volume of my voice and stuff, also the  teacher has given me a lot of advice as well, such as make a title and an end scene for the video. But after all, the comments that I received gave me a lot of supports, and I fixed most of them after which made my final product even better.

Milestone1 :MindNode

From this to that

The purpose of this task was to identify some major changes of my worldview.

Some thing that I could’ve done better was probably put in more effort, my first draft that I handed in was way to brief, and the second one was much better.

Milestone2 :song lyrics 

The purpose of this task was to fill up the blanks with the ideas that we brainstormed on our MindNode. And I did this pretty well, but some parts just didn’t make sense so I had to redo it and hand in.

Milestone3 :final individual songs

The purpose of this task was to record and sing the song lyrics that we wrote ourselves. I never really sing, but I did okay this time, maybe I’ll try to be more loud next time.

Milestone4 :Renaissance worldview piece 

The purpose of this task was to check our understanding of renaissance, each group did an research of something my was the scientific method, and we wrote about what it is and what did we do to learn about it. I did really well and specific.

Milestone5 :final group song 

We combined our songs and made a YouTube video of it.