The Mysterious Attack

Hey guys welcome back to another blog post. As you may know from my last project post we are creating podcasts this year. If you want to catchup on my podcast journey make sure to read my Greatest Canadian post and my podcast trailer post.

Anyways, for episode 2 of my podcast “Rhiann’s Nature Scope” we had to answer the driving question:

How might we use stories to understand the causes and consequences of WWII?

To answer this question we had to tell a WWII story and be able to support our story with an interview. With my podcast topic being the outdoors of BC I decided to see if there were any places in BC that were effected by the war. I happened to stumble upon a location on the west coast of Vancouver island. Estevan Point lighthouse has a very mysterious story, June 20, 1942 a Japanese submarine shelled Estevan Point Lighthouse.

Have I constructed an original connection between myself, the text, and the world? The milestone I showed my best work to respond to text would be my story connection milestone. The story connection milestone was where we read or listened to people’s story that had a connection to WWII. We had to listen or read the story, and fill out a template of the story’s story arc, connect it to another source, connect it to a personal story, find the message of the story, and find 3 or more vocabulary words and definitions. I found that as we work through the 3 stories I progressed in telling the different aspects to the story we heard or read.
Have I found diverse sources and evaluated them for their relevance, accuracy, and reliability? The milestone I showed my best work to using evidence and resources would be my research milestone. For this milestone we had to find 5 sources to support the story we were telling in our podcasts. One of these sources had to be an interview or piece of audio. I had found many website sources that informed me about the attack but a couple also gave me information about it’s history before WWII, I found all this information very helpful for this episode.
Who or what influences events to occur and what were the consequences of those events? The milestone I showed my best work to analyzing cause and Consequences would be milestone 1. For milestone one we revisite our nationalism project from last year and looked at how Canadian nationalism might be different to different countries. For example canada is very accepting whereas America can be seen as not so accepting. We created a collage of different shapes and photos to represent Canadian nationalism and presented it by saying how these photos or shapes represented and cause us Canadians to be who we are. We also had to create a small reflective paragraph about how we as individuals are impacted by where we grew up and where we live and how it shapes our identities.
How might I use technology to connect to the world? The milestone I showed my best work to Globally collaborate would be milestone 5. Milestone 5 was our podcast episode, I think that my interview within my podcast best showed my work for this competency. It took me a really long time to be able to find someone to interview, first I emailed BC Parks but they never responded, so I emailed someone on a website that I found who had a page about Estevan Point, luckily enough the person I reached out to had the email of the actual lightkeepers at Estevan Point Lighthouse, I got a response from Maureen Schmidt and we scheduled an interview. I feel that my interview with Maureen went really well, she told me a bit about her role as a lightkeeper, what happened at the lighthouse during the attack, and what she would do in that situation.

In conclusion I really enjoyed this project because I got to learn not only about how BC was connected to WWII but also a bit of our history here on the west coast. I felt that I didn’t represent my best work during this project but will hopefully be able to improve for the next one.

I hope you enjoyed learning about my recent project, make sure to listen to my podcast.

Peace ✌️

One thought on “The Mysterious Attack

1. So great you managed to get this awesome interview to incorporate into your story Rhiann! Good reflection on the four curricular competencies you used as well. I’m curious as to why you feel this was not your best work – tell us more and what you plan to do differently next time!