This Post Was Stiched Together

For the past few weeks, in my Humanities class, we’ve been studying myths.

During this time, we had to create a civilization and its creation story with our assigned groups. Each member of our group had to make a quilt square to represent a piece of the creation story and then quilt all the pieces together.

Our group had a hard time deciding on the name of our civilization and their customs. We eventually settled on the name “Yurekrians” who are an under ground civilization founded by Yureka and Isosceles.

I suggested the name Isosceles and some of the civilization’s customs. For example: they should be led by a prophet.

My quilt square represents the end of the story when they have children and go crazy from being locked under ground. The lock on the quilt square shows how they are unable to leave their cavernous homes. The Egyptian symbol on the quilt square means insanity. The blue figure represents Isosceles, the white figure represents Yureka, and the green figure represents their children.

Then, when it came time to sew, I highlighted the figures with thread the colour of their bodies which, again, was blue, white, and green.