Take Your Tubular Kid To Work Day (BC Edition) Part 1

As you can tell by the title, it’s take your Grade 9 Student to work day in BC. Some of my friends are going to hospitals or auto shows. Me, personally, I’m going to Capilano University.

capilano-university-logo

The goal of this day, as I understand it, is to “link classroom learning with the workplace”. It also lets us see our parents in a workplace role so we can understand what work they actually do to support our families. Apparently, this “job shadowing activity” supports learning outcomes found in Career and Personal Planning 8 to 12.

Because this is province-wide, the University created a “program” for the day that includes a campus tour, visit to a STEM lab and the Bosa Centre for Film and Animation, as well a chance to meet and hear from the new University President, Paul Dangerfield.

Afterwards I will be interviewing a few of the people who work there. I will be interviewing;

1. Steve Kaldestad, Jazz Studies Instructor

Steve is one of the most in-demand saxophonists on the scene, performing as a sideman with the Dan Brubeck Quartet, Jesse Cahill’s Nightcrawlers, Jodi Proznick’s quartet, and Jill Townsend’s big band. He also leads his own group, the Steve Kaldestad Quartet which has released 3 CDs on the Cellar Live label, Originally from the prairies, Steve spent the ’90s in Montreal, obtaining his Bachelors and Masters degrees from McGill University. During this time Steve was awarded a grant to study with Lee Konitz in New York for a year. In 2000, he began an eight year stint in London, England and played regular gigs in the BBC big band, and others.  In addition to teaching saxophone at Capilano University he leads the big band at the VSO School of Music. Steve is a D’Addario Artist.

2. Janet Cox, IT Operations Analyst

In addition to be one of the leading folks in the IT department – she is a Steam Punk Officiando (well, her 25 year old son is who works for a movie props producer. On Halloween, she had the most incredible steam punk outfit as her costume). She has worked at Capilano University for a really longtime and is an alumni of the University.

3. Julie Vanderyagt, Manager, Special Events and Ceremonies  and Brook Davison, Special Events and Ceremonies 

Julie and Brook know everything and everyone at the University because they plan and present events all over campus. Julie and Brook work with my mom who is a Manager in Advancement Services (which includes Communications & Marketing, Development & Alumni Relations and Special Events and Ceremonies). 

Here is my agenda for the day;

Agenda

10:20 AM – Meet all the other grade 9’s in the Cap Student Union Lounge

10:35 AM – Visit STEM lab

11:05 AM – Visit BOSA Centre, watch “Anxious Oswald Greene”

11:30 AM – Meet Cap U’s new President, Paul Dangerfield

11:45 AM – Lunch in BR126

12:00 PM – Interview in Fir 201J with Steve Kaldestad

12:30 PM – Interview with Julie Vanderyagt

1:00 PM –   Interview in IT with Janet Cox

I had to ask each interviewee four questions:

Question 1: What are the essential skills necessary to perform your job?

Question 2: What are some of the duties performed during a typical day? Week? Month? Year?

Question 3: What are the academic qualifications for your position?

Question 4: What are the employment prospects in your field?

PART TWO (The Interviews)    <—- will be link