Museum of Exploration
One person would think this was actually a museum we went to, but it was actually a learning exercise done in class where we learned about the ways people travelled as they were discovering lands and new trade routes. We had to understand the costs of travel, food and nutrition, means of transportation.
When we think about travelling today, things were definitely a lot different back then. The main way people got around was by boats and horses. There were no hot cars, motorbikes or skateboards back in those days. I can’t imagine what it could be like to not have a heated vehicle or bouncing up and down on top of a house. Their main goal was to discover new lands rich would food and resources for them to establish new colonies. They also wanted to find new places that would be good for them to trade their items which included; spices, money, alcohol, clothes and foods. They wanted tools, ships and wealth.image
Travelling in this way seemed to really affect people. They did not have easy access to healthy food and mostly ate things like limes, salted meat, biscuits and bread. They drank a lot of ale and water. This could leave people malnourished and cause a lot of different illnesses including small pox.
When we think back to these times and reflect on the changes it is crazy to imagine. There were no stores to buy food and clothes, never mind hotels to stay in or houses to buy. Medicine was not available at local hospitals.
In many ways, I am glad I did not have to live during these times. Life seems good right now. I like todays way of getting around much better that the old way sounded.