This week in my grade 10 science class, we have been focussing on making science safety videos. I joined a group that consisted of Claire, Kate, and I while we made a what-not-to-do safety video. The first step in making a science video is to choose what format you will be making in. My group decided that the most effective way to prove our point was to use an iMovie to show what one pair of lab partners did wrong. We decided to choose two girls who get themselves into dangerous situations, but use their knowledge of lab safety to do the right thing.

We talked about what the safest way to go about cleaning up a chemical spill is. We show how you should try and remember what chemical you spilled and then tell the teacher, no matter what. The teacher might have a better idea of what the chemical you spilled is and can help you decide whether it is safe for you to clean it up with your hands or not. After that clip, we show one about what to do once you get chemicals in your eye. One of our characters tells the other to go get the teacher while she rinses out her eye before it effects her sight. This clip was very important because having chemicals in your eyes for more than even a few seconds can be harmful and my group wanted to emphasize on that fact. The last safety scenario was about what not to do when you cut yourself during a lab. One of characters cut herself, and she did not know how to rinse her injury properly. Her lab partner on the other hand, instructed her to rinse it under cold water while she went to tell the teacher what happened. All of the clips that we created were our opinions of the most important safety facts that everyone in our science class should know.

In the end, I think that my safety lab video was both informative and interesting to watch. My group worked very hard to create unique characters who get themselves into tough situations. This video will test your knowledge on the right way to handle a situation, while also showing you how easy it is to get yourself into those situations when you aren’t paying attention. You should always be focussed when you are doing experiments, whether it is a chemical experiment or a dissection. I think that that message was clear in our video format and was easy to follow along.