Factors Exist

“M a t h.”

We took a little trip back to algebra in our latest math adventure. Revisiting things like Polynomials, Factors and being introduced to Algebra Tiles.

We created a game using these things, and this is how you play: 

We created our video, game, and this project using the following Mathematics Competencies-

Develop thinking strategies to solve and play games

I think this competency is quite an obvious one. We made a game. By creating a game, we used our thinking skills to come up with a creative theme, create equations, and explain the formulas in our video. With the game, we have created a device that uses thinking skills to solve algebraic equations. 

Use mistakes as opportunities to advance learning

This one comes with the design of our game mostly. We often revise and change the way our work is in PLP, and this project was no different. Alivia and I worked on many different designs for our game, each better than the last. We went from making the pieces out of cardboard, to making them out of wooden blocks. As for our video, we went from the plain idea of acting in our video, to animation to explain the rules.

Visualize to explore and illustrate mathematical concepts and relationships

During the creation, and when playing our game, we had to visualize the mathematical concepts we were using. With the creation of the game we had to visualize what equations we were going to use and also how we were going to integrate the math skills into our game. When planning our game we were visualizing the ideas and then we added them into the visual version of our game that can be played.

Represent mathematical ideas in concrete, pictorial, and symbolic forms

Much like the last competency, this one is seen within the game itself. We use our game to represent the equations and ideas in all forms and use them to create an engaging fun way to learn math and algebra tiles. In our video we show some examples of the equations in symbolic equation form.

Looking At Where We Began

When we started the unit, this was my Mind Map and understanding of factors and algebra tiles-

And this is how much I know now-

This had been what competencies my project included and what I’ve learnt about fractions this term. I hope you enjoyed🙃

Thanks for reading and have a nice rest of your day/night