A Magic Quilt

The only thing better than quilting is quilting in a group. Yes, you read that right… Now just decide if I’m being sarcastic or not.

I never knew the long process of creating a quilt, until now. First, we had to make a civilization, then we got to complete a lovely storyboard (the storyboard never goes away, it’s always haunting you somehow, somewhere…) and after making various charts and several drafts of our quilt squares, we got to start sewing.

Firstly, my group and I created a civilization. It was based in the 31st century, after a huge nuclear bombshell destroyed a lot of the Earth. Our people came together and were under the influence of an evil leader, who decided to seal metal walls around their city so nobody could leave. We told the story of them and their beliefs in our first chart. We included details about their views of a good life, human nature, relationships with nature and more.

Once we had completed our first assignment for our quilts, we made a organizing chart for our hero. Our hero was a normal guy that ran away from home, and found himself in Alaska. He went to explore the city, and found a villain, the Dictator, treating people cruely on the streets. He then made it his mission to kill the dictator and help the people.

For our third task, we created a story board where we merged our hero and the civilizations story together. The storyboard we made was critiqued very intensely and not approved a few times!!

Fourth of all, we made a chart where we described what our quilt square would look like, the add ons we would put on the square, and finally a first draft that we drew on Paper by 53.

Fifth of all, we recreated various drafts of our pictures, got peer critique, and teacher critique. Finally, we were able to print our photos onto fabric.

I think working in a group on this project was quite complicated because each individual had their own ideas for the hero and civilization. Agreeing on one was hard to do sometimes, and we disagreed lots.

Overall, I do think my group came together and made a quilt that is detailed, interesting and most importantly, tells the story of our civilization and heros journey.