This Year’s TPoL.

👋 Welcome good reader, and this is my TPoL.

I’d like to show you my journey through Grade 8. In this TPol, I will share my experiences and reflect on my growth as a student.

“Thank you for coming to my presentation of learning. I am the expert on my own learning. I am also responsible and accountable for my own learning. You can expect me to give an honest evaluation of my progress. We will discuss my strengths and opportunities for growth. Thank you in advance for listening and for offering feedback that I can use to improve as a learner.”

📖Humanities:

In Humanities I had six projects this year. The Outsiders Looking In, Power Play, Radical Innovations, Exploration, Consequences of Colonization, and the Medium is the Message  

I most enjoyed the Medium is the Medium. Most of the elements in this project were of interest to me so I was engaged and  enjoyed the work. For example, graphic design and marketing and advertising are topics of interest to me. I enjoyed this project especially since we went on our first field study. Our first keystone was a advertisement survey. The second one we had was an advertisement chart. It’s a chart were we picked a handful of ads to examine. I picked a variety of different ads. To name a few I had IKEA, Snickers, and Scotia Bank. Here is the best ad in my opinion. 

🔬Science: 

In Science we’ve had three science projects. Small But Mighty, Mind over Matter, and Journey to the Centre of the Earth. My favourite project was Mind Over Matter where we created a video game. This was super fun. In the beginning, I was developing my game at a very slow rate. The reason being was because I was using an application called GDeveop.  It’s a beginner friendly app were you take already existing sprites and program them to do different tasks. I would go more into detail but I don’t want to take to much of your time. For my final game, I thought it was good but I don’t think it was my best work. I didn’t follow the criteria completely as I ran short of time.  The reason I was short on time was because I had to restart my game development several times. Also, In my game it was hard to tell it was about science. If I had more time I would change the sprites and the surrounding area to fit the science theme better.

My Learning Plan 

On reflection of My Learning Plan I can see I’ve grown so much this year.  In the beginning of the year my goal for Communication was to be much more clear during presentations. I tended to ramble on and I wanted to communicate more efficiently.  I also wanted to work on team Collaboration so we could work more effectively together.  In the area of Thinking, I wanted to develop my skills with building new ideas instead of relying on other people’s ideas and input to form my own ideas. Since I wrote My Learning Plan goals in the Fall I have improved in all these areas. For example, when communicating with others I now think before I start presenting so I can organize my thoughts and make sure they are presented in a way others can understand.  When collaborating  I now use different strategies to work together with my team and I find we are working in a more organized manner and are more competent. With Thinking, I started to straying away from relying on others by incorporating brainstorming and mood boarding to generate ideas of my own.  Last, I also noticed that my personal confidence has significantly improved. Although I still get a few knots in my stomach before presenting, I’m less nervous standing in front of an audience to share my ideas.

📊How I Have Grown as a Learner.

Transitioning from grade 7 to grade 8 was very rough for me. However, reflecting on my journey through Grade 8, I am proud of the growth I have made as a learner. At the start of the year, I struggled with organization and time management, which led to me submitting work late and not putting in my best effort. It also took a few months for me to figure out the process of the PLP program and how all the Apps worked.  However, as I started term 2, I noticed a considerable change. I started to understand the processes of the PLP program and what information to find in each App. This lead to me being better organized and getting my work done in a more timely manner.  I haven’t handed in anything late since the first term.  The only exception to this would be any revisions that I needed to complete.  I am definitely more productive and am producing better quality work. 

🏁Conclusion  

Overall, I am proud of the progress I have made this year and am excited to continue developing my skills as a learner next year. I am grateful for the support of my teachers and peers, as well as the opportunities to explore new topics and areas of interest through the projects we have undertaken. Thank you for reading to my presentation of learning and for your feedback, which I will use to continue growing as a student.

0 comments on “This Year’s TPoL.Add yours →