Reflecting on Reflection.

The most recent project I’ve done in Scimatics, is called “Laser Laws” The idea was to learn about light, the law of reflection, and the Pythagorean Theorem.

Driving question:

How can we test the Pythagorean theorem and the law of reflection at the same time?

In this project, we made a laser display using mirrors, and well, lasers. In order to make this work, we had to calculate where we would put the mirrors using the law of reflection. Our laser display had to contain a right-angled triangle, and we had to use it to prove the Pythagorean Theorem.

Questioning and Predicting: Demonstrate a sustained intellectual curiosity about a scientific topic or problem of personal interest

At the start of the project, we built a lot of knowledge on the subject of light. We also had to learn about some mathematical concepts. I have demonstrated this competency by turning in my work on time, and using my class time efficiently. I was always doing work, and following instructions. I came to class everyday, prepared to focus.

Communicating and Representing: How can I represent mathematical ideas in concrete, pictorial, and symbolic forms?

In my math workbook pages, I showed the knowledge required, and while making an effort to extent and go in-depth when demonstrating concepts. For example, when we had to make a write-up, for a science experiment, I calculated the leg of a triangle, instead of the hypotenuse.

Applying and innovating: How can I co-operatively design projects?

I always did my part when assigned work by my group members, and encouraged others to put in effort as well. When doing the group project, I organized my group, so that we each had tasks to do. For example, when we painted our laser display, I came up with a system so that each person would get a turn with the biggest brush.

This my project mind map, that I made at the start of the project. At the end, I answered some of the questions, and filled in any loose ends.

In all, I was very successful while doing this project, and there wasn’t much I could have improved upon.