Playground Changes

Change is Hard – It doesn’t have to be.

This school year presented us with a unique challenge for our playground. Our old way of being had the playground divided between the intermediate and primary students. The west side was for the intermediate students, and the east side was the primary side.

Our challenge this year came from having two classes that were made up of primary and intermediate students (grade 3/4). If we followed the old rules, then we would have two classes where children were not allowed to play with one another at recess or lunch.

Not good and not acceptable.

So we have changed. You may have heard.

Students in grades 2 to 7 have more choices about where they play. We are keeping the old rules for the Kindergarten and grade 1 students in place, as they may not be ready (or we may not be ready) for them to be all over the playgrounds.

Confession – I erased the imaginary divide line (big eraser) a few weeks ago, but not everyone noticed. When grade 4 students asked if they could play with the Kindergarten students, I said yes. When grade 3’s asked if they could go on the intermediate side, I said yes. Students gradually started to notice, and yesterday, it became known to all.

It is fascinating to watch a school go through a shift in rules or expectations. Some students handled it very well – grade 7’s teaching grade 2’s to play Poison (like the Horse basketball game – each child gets a letter when then get out, then the last one to spell Poison wins). Some handled it poorly (I won’t write how as they handled it – no negative stories here). Some made up new rules (“Grade 2’s can only go so far into the forest.” – I love this one, but it is not a rule.).

When thinking about our playground, we no longer have an intermediate side or primary side. We now have the East playground, the West playground, the East lowers and the West Lowers.

Yesterday afternoon I visited 8 classes to review the changes and what it means for students. Today I visited 7 more. I clarified some new “myths” that started yesterday at recess, and I spoke about expectations for everyone.

Some key points:

• All students need to be mindful that there are younger and older children around
  • All students follow the school’s Code of Conduct
  • Students in grade 2 to 7 will be able to play in more locations
  • Inner courtyard is still for quiet activities for grades 4 to 7
  • Students are expected to show kindness to everyone (include others, watch out for each other, be patient and take turns, no put downs & no name calling)
  • Students who are having difficulty will be directed to play in another location or get a walking time-out
  • Student with continued difficulty may need greater supports to be successful on the playground

I spoke to the grade 7’s about the importance of their role on the playground. They are positive about the change, and understand the responsibilities that come with being older students. They are doing an excellent job. Thanks grade 7’s.

As part of my discussions with students, I asked students to name the staff members who are outside supervisors. To help our students, please review the names at home:

• Mrs. Galpin
  • Mrs. Beveridge
  • Mrs. Sanjari
  • Mrs. Wilson
  • Mrs. Anstett (Mrs. A)
  • Mrs. Hillier
  • Mme Demarais (Mme D)

Mrs. Orr and myself are often outside, and sometimes Mrs. Devlin checks in on the inner courtyard.

It has been a very positive change. Please thank your children for helping our playground be a great place for everyone.

Take care.