Meiosis models

How is the reproduction of cells essential to the survival of organisms? That was the driving question to my most recent scimatics project, Meiosis models. For this project, we cloned plants, learned how to use some laboratory equipment, researched asexual and sexual reproduction, made models, and presented all of our learning in a video. 

At the beginning of this project we created a start mind map that showed all the previous learning we had on the subject of meiosis and mitosis; for me, that knowledge was a bare minimum. Because I did not have much knowledge I included a bunch of questions I wanted to answer through this project. Throughout all the workbooks, lab classes and videos we watched I learned more about this topic and as a result I could answer most of my mind map questions and create my end mind map. Both mind maps are included below and you can see where I saturated and where I am now.

Curricular Competencies:

Questioning and Predicting: demonstrate a sustained intellectual curiosity about a scientific topic about a scientific problem or topic of personal interest.

When I look back at this project I showed this competency through how well I managed my time in class. After getting instructions, I would go to LAC to work on my workbook and on the milestones, because the work space makes it easier for me to focus. I also made sure to ask Mr. Gross a few questions to clarify what I needed to include in the final product. 

Planning and Conducting: collaboratively and individually plan, select, and use appropriate investigation methods including field work and lab experiments to collect reliable data.

I showed this competency throughout the project starting with the cloning of the plant. Later we took the root of the plant, followed steps, and made slides we could see under the microscope. On my first three tries, I was not able to get clear photos that showed evidence of Mitosis in the cells. I communicated that problem to Mr. Gross and it seemed I was not the only person who needed better examples so the next class Mr. Gross brought in pre-made slides. With those slides, I took photos and then later identified each stage of mitosis of cells. This data was important for my final product.

Scientific Communication: formulate physical or mental theoretical models to describe a phenomenon.

This competency was very clearly shown with my final product which was a video with voice narration and communicated my knowledge of Meiosis and Mitosis. In this video, I clearly stated many of the reasons and the process of Meiosis and mitosis through the photographs and through the 3D tinkercad models that I had made earlier in the project. The 3D models which showed all the stages of Meiosis and Mitosis and was the most difficult part of the project for me because it was very time consuming due to all the different stages needed to be shown. I also displayed my knowledge about the similarities and differences of Meiosis and Mitosis, which I had done extra research on, towards the end of my video. 

I really enjoyed many aspects of this project especially the use of lab equipment such as the microscope to look at the cells. I had never really done anything like that before and it was a good learning experience.