High Tech High

Going to California on a school trip we weren’t excepting to actually go to school an yet we did. In San Diego there is a fantastic school called  High Tech High (HTH) that is very unique. The school which includes elementary, middle, high school and an international school.  They are all project based which is similar to PLP. Project based learning or PBL means no textbooks or tests but rather hands on and using projects instead. That’s why we went to HTH  because of the similarities and that it’s a great opportunity. We were paired with students from HTH on the first day that over the following two days we would get to know better. I was paired with Maya a sweet, quit girl  who is really interesting.

Meeting Anna the grade 9 teacher

Walking up to high tech high

This is our class in front of HTH

A project in the halls that they did

Over the two days we were there I got to know some really nice students who I am still in contact with today! High Tech High is so different and has influenced the education system around it hugely.

At High Tech High we had a project that we had to do as well. Since this year we were looking into podcasts what better to do the make a podcast with our partners. I wasn’t sure as to how this would turn out since it was so open ended and yet by the end I was really intrigued by how the interview went. I learned a lot about both the school and the three students I was talking to, also I am proud of how my podcast turned out in the end.

Overall it was a fantastic experience getting to know Maya plus finding out about how here school works was really interesting. Maybe I will go back to San Diego one day and visit them, who knows!