California here I come!

PLP is a performance learning program so what better way to show that then field studies. We already went on one locally at the very very beginning of the school year, we went to camp capilano. You can read about that in this blog post:

Camp Capilano

Well just recently from the 2nd to the 11th we travelled to you guessed it California! We were in California because we were studying a unit on disruption. A great example of this is Silicon Valley in San Jose, Silicon Valley is more an area rather then a region. Fun fact it was named after the silicon transistor which revolutionized technology and computers So that’s where we headed but first it was off to San Diego! We left at 4:30 in the morning on February 2nd. This was so extremely early and yet it didn’t seem like it because I was so excited for the oncoming trip. After two flights we arrived in San Diego and went to Torrey pines. Torrey pines is national park where the trees the Torrey pines are the only ones in the world!

The following day it was off to the zoo! We had an amazing opportunity to go inside the elephant enclosure.

On the next day we went to the uss midway, a huge aircraft carrier ship that used to be in commission.

The next day we went to high tech high, you can read all about what it is and the experience that I had there in this blog post:

High Tech High

We were at high tech high for two days and then we traveled of to San Jose in the evening. That night we had in n out which was pretty fun.

The following day it was off to Silicon Valley! We started at google a huge influential company. I found it so interesting at the campus because everyone is so focused on there work and aren’t to distracted by all of the opportunities they have around them. Plus it’s just like the intern.

At the campus there is a real t-Rex fossil becaus why not.

In the afternoon we went to apple and Intel, two of the biggest companies within Silicon Valley.

That night we had dinner with Brendon and Scott two people who work with Silicon Valley. After dinner we then went to a light tunnel that was very fun!

The next day we went to the computer history museum.

In the afternoon we went to Stanford, a fantastic school that I hope to go to one day.

Then it was off to San Francisco! As soon as we got there we went to twitter head quarters. Going to twitter was an amazing opportunity and it was such a cool workplace environment.

‘That afternoon we traveled to the Golden Gate Bridge.

The next day was our last full day so we went out with a bang. In the morning we went on a walking tour around San Fran, I learned a lot from the tour guide. Such as that the summer of love was at the end of the hippie movement and they didn’t like that everyone came and made a bad reputation for everyone.

Next we went to Alcatraz, the inescapable prision that changed prision history.

You can read about my trip more in depth in this book I made on the trip:

‘Overall this was an amazing trip that I will never forget. I had fantastic experiences and once in a lifetime experiences. Until the next plane ride!