The Surprising Story Of French

I love French.

I know. It’s shocking. But it’s true. I really love French and everything related to it. This blog post is the story of how I fell in love with French.

First of all, if it was not for French Immersion, I would probably be a (mostly) normal, not French-adoring human. From after my preschool until (ironically) a bit before the start of COVID, my brother and I were home-schooled. However, my brother, Fraser, applied to do PLP in grade 8. Since I didn’t want to home-learn by myself, my mom suggested Late French Immersion, because she had done Early French Immersion when she was in school and the Late French Immersion began in grade 6.

I was accepted into the program and so for the last two years, just about everything I did was in French, even PE! French became a very very big part of my life. While I was in French Immersion, I enjoyed French, but I think the hard decision to not to continue with French Immersion in high school was what really made me realize how much French means to me. I know it sounds cheesy or over dramatic, but French had been basically my whole life. Sometimes I automatically accidentally start talking or writing (or sometimes even thinking) in French. (If this happens in any of my posts, please let me know in the comments!)

One of my favourite things about French (either than that it’s FRENCH!!!) is the sound. French has very specific pronunciation and the sentences also always have a nice liaison between words so that everything flows smoothly. Because of its lovely sound, French music and poetry is very beautiful too. French also has a great culture behind it (there’ll be some more about this aspect in my next French post). And, the food. I love love love French food, especially croissants (if you for some reason never had one, please stop reading and go get one immediately!) They are probably one of my top favourite foods. The French are also well known for their cheese and I really like Brie (you need to have Brie too). Also, eating French food makes you feel very sophisticated! 

Though I could probably go on forever, that’s all for now!

Kaia out ♥︎

The Most Romantic Language — French

Bonjour!

This post is about why French is the most romantic language in the world (or even the universe). As you know from my previous post about French, well, I really like French, which is part of the reason why I think French is the most romantic language. 

The main reason why French is so romantic, is because of the way it sounds. The pronunciation is quite specific and when you put it all together into sentences, it really flows together and has a melodic rhythm. Sometimes, words in French are changed slightly or verbs conjugated differently, just to make it merge together more nicely and give it more of a liaison. Usually, the consonant at the end of a word are not pronounced (unless followed by a vowel. This makes the sound softer and beautiful to the ear. It’s also more romantic if you have a French accent.

As with most languages, the culture behind it influences the way it is perceived. Though French is spoken in many places around the world, it is most commonly associated with France, which is one of the most romantic places in the world.  France has a lot of love related culture build up behind it. For example, until around 1970, marriage crime committed out of passion was considered excusable.  

French is thought of as the most romantic languages by many others too. A survey by One Hour Translation (an online translation agency) that polled 1000 people from 10 different countries revealed that around 50-70 percent (percentages varied by country) believed French to be the most romantic language. In another study, Rosetta Stone found that 60% associated French with being the most romantic language. According to a study by Google Translate, the majority of romantic phrases being translated were in French. Je t’aime (I love you) is the most requested translation after bonjour. Other common translations included belle (beautiful), mon amour (my love) and je t’adore (I love/adore you).

Though French is the most romantic language to my ears, there are lots of other romantic languages in other’s opinions too! That’s all for this post!

Kaia out ♥︎

(Paris background image by Chris Karidis on Unsplash)

Reflection

Bonjour

This is where I am going to be reflecting on the posts I made on this page, answering these questions: how did the blogging process go, did you enjoy creating this page, what did you learn about yourself based upon this experience, what part was the hardest for you and why, what part was the easiest for you and why and you continue to post to your blog?

I think that the blogging process went pretty well, I really enjoyed creating the last two posts, because I got to write about something that I’m really passionate about.

Usually with my passions, I know that I like them, but it’s hard for me to describe the exact reasons why. Blogging about French helped me realize why I love French so much (it’s still very hard for everyone else to understand though).

I think that the hardest part for me was when I had to rewrite one of my posts (when I opened the document with my posts, it was gone). I struggled with it because I had to try to remember what it was like originally. For what was easiest, I don’t think that there was a specific part, because I do a lot of writing and have taken writing courses so blogging is pretty easy for me. I guess that there was a lot to say about my topic, so I didn’t struggle for ideas or have a writing block. Because of this, I also found that I could write a post a lot faster.

And finally, yes I think that I will continue to post to my blog. Though this blog is mainly for reflecting on PLP projects, I may post some other things too! Well, that’s all for now. Au revoir!

Kaia out ♥︎