Hello, dear readers! Welcome back to the Blog Train. Today’s stop is the Spring Exhibition and Dulce et Decorum. In this blog post, we will delve into the project, discuss the exhibition, and provide an answer to the driving question.

Let’s start by exploring the three keystones of our project. First, we took notes on the museums we visited, particularly the Monova Museum in North Vancouver. Our objective was to learn how to create captivating exhibits that would pique people’s interest and inspire them to delve deeper into the subject matter.

notes on museum

Our second keystone involved reflecting on the cost of war. Allow me to share with you a paragraph I wrote on this topic. The concept of value revolves around the importance, worth, and usefulness of something. When young men enlisted for war, they believed it would be a thrilling experience, and they thought they would be of great value to their country. However, the reality was far from their expectations. Instead of being treated with respect and admiration, they faced the harsh reality of war. Their commanding officers often mistreated them, disrespecting their sacrifices. They quickly realized that the war was not a glamorous adventure, but a brutal and relentless conflict. These young soldiers faced unimaginable horrors, with no recognition or appreciation. They joined the war with the misguided belief that it would be filled with beautiful landscapes and heroism, influenced by propaganda posters and the influential faces of celebrities and politicians. Unfortunately, the true cost of war was the physical and psychological toll it exacted. Soldiers suffered from conditions such as PTSD, lost limbs, and even death. Mustard gas inflicted devastating damage, while nightmares haunted them every night. Regrettably, at that time, PTSD was not acknowledged, and soldiers were expected to suppress their pain and emotions. In conclusion, I firmly believe that it was crucial to inform individuals of the potential consequences of joining the war and provide support for those grappling with PTSD.

Our final keystone involved contributing to our group project on World War I. My group was tasked with showcasing the stark contrast between the myths and realities of war. To accomplish this, I constructed a model trench that depicted the grim reality of war. Additionally, I created an interactive slideshow, offering viewers a comprehensive understanding of life in the trenches.

The exhibition itself was a resounding success and personally my favorite one thus far. It received rave reviews from visitors and our fellow classmates in the PLP program. What made it truly exceptional was the relaxed atmosphere fostered by our teachers. As we were older and more experienced, they granted us greater freedom in the execution of our ideas.

Now, let’s address the driving question: “How can we make the contrasting narratives of war come alive for an audience?” In my opinion, everyone in PLP 9 did an outstanding job of bringing the realities of war in the early 1900s to life. The exhibits were engaging, interactive, and captivating, ensuring that the audience could fully immerse themselves in the subject matter. Thus, the exhibition proved to be a major success, despite a few challenges along the way.

Thank you for taking the time to read this blog post. I hope you found our exploration of the project, exhibition, and driving question enlightening. Stay tuned for more exciting content on the Blog Train!