Revisiting nationalism

Hey guys welcome back to my blog. In today’s blog I will be reflecting on the first week of quarter 2. Due to covid our school has changed the year to be in 4 quarters. In each quarter we have only 2 classes, grade 8’s and 9’s have all their classes at school whereas grade 10, 11, and 12’s have a hybrid system. The way the hybrid system works is that for the first half of the quarter our second block is a mix of at school and at home, the second half of the quarter is the opposite, the mornin class is a mix of at school and at home. My two classes for quarter 2 are tech styles and humanities.

During our first humanities class we revisited one of our past projects about nationalism. We also discussed what is nationalism and how Canadian nationalism met be different from other countries. We were put in breakout rooms to discuss and create a keynote slide to represent different parts of Canadian nationalism.

The main notes my group came up with were: religion, sports, geography, flag, and people. Some of the points other groups came up with were: lumber, leadership, culture, sense of belonging, music, language, and politics/government. When it was my groups turn to present I talked about how geography impacts Canadians. I personally am very connected with this due to growing up in a location where we have both mount Seymour and the ocean within a 10-15 min drive.

In my opinion canada is the most beautiful country. We have mountains, forests, lakes, oceans, plains, and beaches. My family has this old trailer up at a lake that many don’t know about called Pavilion lake, it’s near Lillooet which is a small town that was featured on the Canadian show “Still Standing”.Me and my brother grew up going there during the summer time, even my dad went up there with his family when he was younger. We’ve been lucky enough to be able to still have that little getaway spot to enjoy the outdoors and family time. I found that it was perfect during covid to be able to get out of the house for a bit.

In conclusion I have learned from revisiting our nationalism project that people connect to nationalism and understand nationalism differently than others due to where they live and when they were born.