The Ultimate Design Challenge

A dream come true I would say. Being able 3D print an object of your choice that you get to make all by yourself was terrific.  Just the feeling of working incredibly hard on designing an object and knowing that you’ll be able to have a physical replica of it is pretty cool. Having access to the i-pad allowed us to design, mesure and print our 3D object. Although, before we did any of that proccess we needed to do quite a bit of learning. Since our math unit is all about learning how to mesure surface area and volume of 3D shapes, a few weeks of this project was spent doing work books that would help us for our final product.

Finally, after our brains could take in no more formulas and equations, it was Time to start to. Think about what we would make. After thinking for a while I remembered how I had always wanted to 3D print a surfboard fin that I could use on one of my own boards. Although, after being put into a group which Quinn who waned to make skies, I had to compromise and collaborate with him. We decided to make not just fins for a surfboard but an entire surfboard all together. Although this would be hard we agreed that we were up for the challenge.

Competency’s:

Competency Being Assessed: 
  • Communicating and Representing: Explain and justify mathematical ideas and decisions.

I thought that I covered and even extended my knowledge on this competency with my milestone 1. Like I said above I strived to challenge myself by choosing a complex and difficult-to-mesure shape that would challenge Me but would, end up with a more satisfactory result.

Competency Being Assessed:
Reasoning and Analyzing: Model mathematics in contextualized experiences.

For this competency we we made formulas for the  shapes we chose for our surfboard and calculated the surface area and volume of each shape. Going into these milestones I still didn’t fully understand the formulas and how to calculate the volume and surface area of the shapes. I only had some scattered memory’s on this math from previous years were we may have spent one or two weeks on this topic. Although after some nights and classes of study and trying my hardest to understand the concepts it finally seemed to click which made the rest of the project much easier.

Competency Being Assessed: 
  • Applying and innovating:  Contribute to care for self, others, community, and world through personal or collaborative approaches.

This competency was when it all came together. After a full month of designing and measuring our surfboard it was time to print. Over the course of the project I learned a lot and crossed many obstacles bu there was nothing as releasing as printing our final product. Since one of the surfboards was nearly impossible to mesure we had to make another that was made up of more simple shapes but may have no looked as much like a real life surfboard. Out of all of the competencies used in this project, I would say that I  covered the Applying and innovative one most thoroughly. Once the board was 3D printed and all calculations were completely finished, we needed to present all of the work we had done along the way. We presented using an app called keynote which we put all of the work and what we did to reach our final product.

https://youtu.be/4Eb5_iIFCZI

Overall, I enjoyed the entire project and presenting what we created To the class. I learned more about a subject than I thought was possible and ended up with and amazing mini-surfboard that I will keep for a long time.  Although we faced many challenges through the the process, as a team Quinn and I overcame the obstacles and came away with an incredible end result. Make sure to comment any questions yaourt may have down below.