Spring Exhibition 2023

This years spring exhibition was called pathways. The goal was to show the path that we took to achieve the final product. In this project we were designing an advertisement for a business in Oregon. When we went to Oregon (See more about Oregon here!)  I interviewed someone that worked at the Astoria column. The Astoria column is a 125ft column that honours Astoria’s past. On the column are different scenes. Each scene was a different step in the process in colonization. When we did the interview we asked some questions that could help us create the best possible ad for them. The question I asked was we noticed the column tells a unique story of Astoria, do you think this is what draws people to the column? I really liked this question because when the person answered and said yes, I knew that that’s what I wanted to focus on in the ad. We spent a week working on our ad and it was a very long, frustrating process. Working on the ad was definitely a challenge but a good one. It pushed me to be creative, to think outside the box, to think of something that no one else thought of. I did this by including the phrase A-Story-A to remember- Astoria column. As I said earlier I wanted to focus on the story on the Astoria column. By using cute play on words it will draw attention to the ad and people will wonder what the story of the column is and look more into it. The first photo you see is my very first draft. I am not proud of this draft. There is no location, address, and it doesn’t even say what it is. With that being said, I am very proud of my final draft and think I improved a lot. I love how I made the column the focus with no other images, this made it look simple. Although I am only showing the beginning and end of making my ad, in between these two versions were many other drafts, challenges, revisions, and maybe even some tears. Overall I really enjoyed this project and getting to design an ad for a company was a very unique and special experience. 

First draft:

Final draft:

For the actual exhibition I was in a group with 5 other people and we did ok. I think our communication could’ve been a little better and a little less getting frustrated at people. I think by the end we had been with each other all day and we were all tired and just wanted to go home. If I could change something about this exhibition I would’ve made it so that there were scheduled breaks. I think that at sometimes we all went out too see other grades, and left one or no people at the table. I think with scheduled break times we could ensure that there is always someone at the table. Overall I think this exhibition went pretty smoothly and I’m happy how it turned out!

Syddy giddy out!