🌲Hello and welcome back to the forest of learning! Today we have another student blogging challenge. I will be explaining a little bit about all of the celebrations, festivities and holidays I celebrate with my family!🌲

incase you didn’t know, I am Jewish! I was born into a jewish family and ever since I was little I was always exposed to this culture. I am very open about my religion, and I do not discriminate against anyone else’s personal beliefs.

so anyway these are two of the holidays me and my family celebrate!

Rosh Hashannah

Rosh Hashanah translating to “head of the year” is the Jewish new year. Jews follow a different calendar than most people do, it is controlled by the Metonic Cycle or the moon cycle. Every family celebrates differently but, Our family celebrates this holiday with a fast until sundown. We start our fast the night before and then eat a feast after the sunset. Each member of the family helps by making something in the feast. We also usually go to a synagogue in the morning to celebrate as well.

Hanukkah

out of all the Jewish holidays, this one has to be the most well known one! Because of the date being so close to Christmas, many people are aware of this holiday. Incase you didn’t know, Hanukkah is a holiday you celebrate on the course of 8 days. Every night, you light one candle on the menorah until by the 8th day, you have 9 beautiful candles.  Every Hanukkah, we usually (before COVID 19) would invite our friends and neighbours for dinners throughout the 8 days. We make latkes (potato pancakes) and jelly donuts which are always delicious!

here is a menorah on the 8th day of Hanukkah:

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed learning a little bit about what I celebrate with my family! As always thank you for watching me grow in the forest of

🌲learning🌲