La: a Note to Follow ‘Sew’

So, if you read the first part of this blog post (Sew, a Needle Pulling Thread), then you’re up to date with our quilting project. For those of you who aren’t, here’s the link: https://www.blog44.ca/willab/2015/12/16/sew-a-needle-pulling-thread/.

So, my quilt square is part of the “Legend of the Polygonians” quilt, and it represents the part of the story where Cordelia (the main character) has started a new life for herself in the Bermuda Triangle. She’s living there happily with Kai the Guy (an explorer who was stranded in a plane crash) and their children. They’ve both adapted to their surroundings. They pass on their virtues and their story to their children, and that story becomes the foundation legend for their society, the Polygonians. The society also worships Poseidon as he caused the events that helped the society to form. My quilt square shows the final scene in the story and not a lot happens, but it symbolizes the beginning for a new, and hopefully better, life for Cordelia and Kai. 

As for how my quilt represents this; I took the translation between the story and my quilt square quite literally, so most of it is fairly easy to understand. Cordelia and Kai are pictured in the foreground, Cordelia with a crown, to represent that they rule their society. There is a triangular island in the background, because they are living on an island in the Bermuda Triangle. Poseidon is shown in the air above the society, because he is watching over them. Other Polygonians, drawn in a simpler format than Cordelia and Kai because they play less important roles in the story, are shown speaking about a trident to represent Poseidon (Poseidon carries a trident), with a heart to symbolize that they love and worship him. The heart is blue because Poseidon is the god of the sea.

First Draft of my Quilt Square

1 Thought.