Safety First!

One of the courses grade tens have to take is Planning, a course where we learn more about health, careers and how teenagers can plan for the future. The first unit our PLP course learned in planning was about work safety and how to prevent any incidents happening at a work space. This unit spanned over two weeks and has taught me a lot about how to be more safe when I’m working and how to help others better understand this topic while working on a job site.

The Site of Where I Work, Northlands Golf Course

The first task we had to do for our learning was do a few worksheets and surveys. In these worksheets, our class had to answer a few questions regarding our work experiences. I work at a restaurant, so I know that there are many dangers working in a kitchen. This survey had me answering a few questions like “Did you have a proper walk through of your job” and “Was the instruction helpful and useful.” Below are some of the sheets that our class did.

Following that questionare we had to watch a video about some of the horrible occurrences that people have had while on a job site. The video, named “Lost Youth,” described a few stories that happened to teenagers working at their job, and having something happen to them that impacted their lives forever. The video was pretty graphic so if you feel so inclined to watch the video, be warned. The video is shown below if you would like to watch.

The workers didn’t have proper training to aid them while working their job, which led them to their incidents. This video reminded me how fortunate I was to have excellent training while being introduced to my job.

The next assignment we had to complete was to do a quick quiz about some of the guidelines and rules you have to follow as a worker in BC. For this quiz, we had to go on the WorkSafeBC website and look through the tabs to find many of the answers. The sheet that our class did is shown below.

To end off this unit, the class was assigned to create some sort of visual to showcase our understanding of the subject. I teamed up with Lucas to create a commercial that represents the hazards of doing tasks that are unsafe and how you should avoid doing things that could be dangerous or even kill you. In the video we used different camera angles to make the video more engaging as well as an appealing voice over to help viewers understand what the purpose of the video is about. We found a few props inside of my house and used them in the video as well.

Here is our final product-

Overall, this unit was very helpful for me, as being a current worker in the province, it is good that I now know a few of the guidelines and my rights for being a worker. I will use this knowledge that I have gained moving forward in my current and future jobs.

Thanks for tuning in, see you in my next post!