Hi people, welcome to another blog post.  In today’s post, I’m going to be talking about Destination imagination and our provincial tournament.  Here is some backstory, My group members and I (Team Humerus) worked on our DI challenge “Medical Mystery” and had to complete all the components to the challenge.  This includes The central challenge, the team choice elements, and preparing for the instant challenge.   We ended up placing second in the regional tournament and now our team is moving on to the provincials.  From competing in this tournament I learned many things about teamwork and leadership.  Here’s how it unfolded.

It all started early in the morning getting to the tournament.  I met up with my group members and we found our waiting room to put all of our equipment.  While there we checked the time and double checked if we had everything.  There was a parade that we had to go to for all the teams.  When we got to the parade we lined up and paraded into the gymnasium.  We had to say an oath before we left.  After that, we headed back and waited for our time to present.

We were all very nervous.  We went through the script a few more times to calm us down.  After we ran through the script we decided to take a look at our competition.  They looked ready, but I think we were definitely more prepared.  In the regionals, we came second and we were ready to win.  We changed many things such as our team choice element which used to be a soundtrack.  We changed into an optical illusion or an “Optical Testing Device”.   We also changed our double vision and made a few modifications to the script.  I learned that creativity and originality definitely give lots of points.  We were nearing our time to present when we ran into some problems.

Many of the problems we had were a technical issues, good thing we found out an hour before our challenge.  One of the problems was that the Amazon Alexa that we reprogrammed needed wifi.  There was no wifi in our building.  This also went for our heart monitor.  Luckily, our team managers supplied us with a hotspot (Thank you, team managers 🙂 ).  Another issue that we had was because it was such a huge building people could easily get lost.  Minutes before our presentation we had to run around to find everyone and hoping that everyone was prepared.  Once we resolved all of the problems, we were ready to present are challenge.

We were in the room with all our stuff ready to present.  My whole team was super nervous.   All of our families and friends were sitting in the audience and the room was full.  When it was time they asked if we were ready and we started.  We had eight minutes to present and in the end we actually did really good.  We were a lot more confident and clear about what we were saying.  There was also a lot more dramatic effect when we spoke.  The audience and the adjudicators liked our changes from before and we ended up doing very well.  We also ended up doing really well in our instant challenge (can’t say a lot about it).  All I want to say about our instant challenge is that teamwork and creativity is the way to think when you want to win.  In the end, we came in second place again!  We were only three points off but we all worked hard and tried our best (Although we did win first place in the instant challenge).

Now it is time for the conclusion and everything that I’ve learned.  The main thing I’ve learned the most about doing DI is working together as a team.  This links to lots of things like communicating, leadership, and cooperation.  We definitely had some problems at the start when we were put in groups but we worked through them as a team and we came on the podium for the tournament.  One more thing I learned is about creativity.  I’m not that creative but from doing this it has definitely expanded my creativity.   One time I thought that one of my team members ideas were bizarre and weird but it ended up being really creative and scoring us a ton of points.  Anyways, thanks for reading my blog post about Destination Imagination and the Provincial tournament 👐.