I think that Star Wars is just like this project because in the beginning it seems all fine, but then it looks like it’s going to go horribly wrong and end very badly but it all works out in the end. On a serious note though this project was a very fun project and was one of the more interesting projects we’ve done this year. For the project we had to research one question we had about Star Wars and really go into depth researching the question and figuring out the answer.
At the end we had to present it to anyone that wanted to come see it in our winter exhibition. Basically anyone that wanted to come to our plp winter exhibition could come and view our project if they wanted to, which was kind of scary but also kind of exciting. My question for this project was our bigger ships or smaller ships more effective in battle. It took me quite a while to figure out the answer to this question, but eventually I got it done in my LAUNCH journal:
I think that this project helped me as a learner in many different ways. The main thing I think it helped is my researching skills. For this we really had to find stuff about Star Wars and make sure it was true, because Star Wars is fiction and people could make up things about it. After a lot of my research I came to the conclusion that smaller ships if there are more of them were more effective. There are multiple reasons to support this like they are faster and more manoeuvrable etc. This research took me quite a long time and I was pretty proud of myself for coming up with a conclusion and I think I did a good job of researching and finding out the answer to my question.
The final stage of this project was to test a question in real life and see if the research you did online matched up with the experiment you did in real life. For my experiment I used paper airplanes, one of a big Star Wars ship and one of a small Star Wars ship and threw them and see which one went farther. Overall I think this experiment was inconclusive and there were multiple variables that could’ve affected it. One of those was that they both weigh the same and if they were life-size they wouldn’t have. At the end of this experiment the small ships ended up going further so it didn’t match up with my research but I think that was just a coincidence. Here’s a video of me throwing them and measuring how far they went. Again, I think this was a very inconclusive experiment but it was kind of fun to do just to see how far they went. These are photos of my paper airplanes. The first one is a tie fighter, and the second one is a star destroyer.
The exhibition was a very scary and nerve-wracking experience, but it was definitely exciting. A lot of people came over and talk to me about my project and at first I was really nervous for anybody to come but after about a half an hour to an hour I really got the hang of it and I think my presentation was really good by the end. After a while exhibition was actually really fun, and was good practice for presenting to people that I don’t know. Overall, I think that this project was super fun and pretty different from anything we’ve done this year, or even ever!