Vibe In The Video

Welcome all. We have completed another Maker project called Vibrant Video. This post was all about video making and editing. The Driving Goal for this project was: Create a final reflective blog post on your learning portfolio that shows the growth of your skills making vibrant videos. We used mainly iMovie and Clips for this projects. iMovie is a editing software that comes pre installed on iPads you can add sound effects and splice clips together in it. Clips is another apple app that allows you to use filters and posters and all kind of fancy things to make short films. Up until this point we hadn’t really used Clips a whole lot so using it was pretty fun.    

Thing project could be broken down into 4 skills. Skill one: Think Like a Movie Maker, for this skill we were tasked with creating a short film about of our hobbies. I chose to take photos of my many, many, many plushies. Before I show you the film the goal of it was to just practice our filming skills and get familiar with Clips. I chose to use plushies for this one as I didn’t have other clips of me doing other things that I enjoy. And using plushies seemed like a fun way to start this project. 

As I said it was the first video that we made and it shows. The editing was not very good there was shaky cameras. No rule of 3rds etc. But that was only the first video. 

The 2nd Skill was all about learning how to frame shots and get angles. So our task was to create a silent film using the vintage filter and multiple different angles. I once again chose to uses plushies as a way to show my learning. As none of my family wanted to be in this video. So I made a short love story. 

As you can see the improvement from video one to two is already showing. My camera was not moving and shaky this time as I had it rested on a shelf and stand. I also got my Mom to hold the camera on the overhead shot. So that certainly helped.  I found this one particularly enjoyable as I liked using the old film filter.  

The 3rd skill was all about planning out a film using a storyboard and then shooting it. For this we were taught how to use the new iMovie update Storyboards. We also learned how movies are planned the make a treatment which is basically a short summary of the entire film. Also to help us plan was a storyboard made that was based off of the iMovie storyboard

I should also explain that this was DIY video on anything you wanted. Hence the “How to Use a Vending Machine”. So here is the video 

Overall I would say its good we could have had Alfie (the guy in the chair) redo his voice lines as a voiceover. Or added subtitles as its hard to hear him. Again though we are definitely improving at planning and shooting the videos. 

Our 4th and final skill is special effects and how to use them. The app we got recommended was Action Movie. A app that lets you record special effects like a explosion, in the app. For this we made a treatment and our idea was Riding a Bike. Now that may not sound like a interesting idea. But what it turned into made it my favourite video of the entire project. 

So after the very tragic ending of that video. I should explain the ending Noah gets hit by the police car which is me then I try to revive him but when he comes back to life I think he is a Zombie so I shoot him. So this was our final film that we made and we combined all previously learned techniques to make a masterpiece. We had different angles, special effects, we created a treatment beforehand to plan. 

Now we also had to do 2 challenges as a side project so I chose Playing with Angles and Add a Song. I think the angles is pretty self explanatory. So for the add a song you had to take a real life scenario and add music to it. So here are both my challenges. 

And so finally I must ask myself did I meet the goal listed at the start which to remind you is: Create a final reflective blog post on your learning portfolio that shows the growth of your skills making vibrant videos. So overall I would say yes you can definitely see the improvement from the first video to the final one. This project was VERY fun and I thoroughly enjoyed making every film.

Everyone who helped work on any of these videos with me here are there blogs: Noah, Claire, Ben.y, , Faith, Alfie

The War To End All Wars…? (Not really)

Hello welcome back to another Humanities blog in this project we learned about the First World War and Canadian involvement. Our final product was a Comic Book about a battle that Canada fought in, what happened on the home front, and certain groups of people and how they were involved like women or indigenous contributions. Alright so the Driving Question for this project was: How might we use graphic novels (comic books) to understand Canadian involvement in WW1. The answer will come later.

Now some back story and simple history on WW1. So the First World War was fought from 1914-1917. The belligerents or who participated, on the allies you had: Britain, France, Russia, Belgium, Italy, Japan, Portugal, Canada, USA, Serbia, and other British colonial powers. On the Central Powers side: Germany, Austria-Hungary, Bulgaria, Ottoman Empire. There were a number of events leading up to this war or the Great War as its often referred to. Chief among these causes was the assassination of Austria-Hungarian Arch Duke Franz Ferdinand by Serbian nationalist Gavrilo Princip and the terrorist organization he work for known as the Black Hand. This among many other factors lead to the WW1. Now here is where things get a little confusing so how did everyone end up at war with each other. Well Austria-Hungary after support from Germany, declares war on Serbia but Serbia is protected by Russia and Russia and France have an alliance so they all declare war on each other. And finally when German Troops invade neutral Belgium who is an ally of Britain they declare war on Germany thus Canada as a British Dominion ends up in the First World War. 

So now that you have the basics of this war.  The topic I got for my comic was: “The Battle of Vimy Ridge”. 

Now if your Canadian you’ve probably heard of this battle it is arguably one of Canada’s greatest contributions and victory’s in WW1. 

So what was Vimy Ridge? Vimy Ridge was a assault on heavily fortified German defensive positions at the top of the ridge they launched the attack on April 9th 1917. The battle ended 3 days later on April 12th. Over 3,000 Canadians had died but the ridge had been captured. 

So one of the first things we did in this project was learn about the belligerents that I listed above our goal was to create a image to show who participated we made this image 

We then learned all about new weapons of warfare such as the machine gun. Which mowed down soldiers on both sides during trench charges. New methods of warfare such as chemical weapons were used in WW1 by both sides. The invention of the Tank by the British changed the war and the post war world.  We learned most of this from the Nelson Texts which are socials textbooks. Here is the link to the textbooks Nelson Texts

Keystone Time!!! 

So keystone one was What factors precipitated “The War To End All Wars?”

In this keystone we learned about all factors leading to WW1 we read a section from the Nelson Texts about it and did a worksheet 

Also in this keystone was the Belligerents of War image shown above ⬆️. We also wrote a paragraph about WW1 causes which I will show now.

So what did I learn from this Keystone? I learned all about the idea of Cause and Consequence which is that every consequence has a cause. Such as in WW1. What I can do better for next is my Cause-Consequence paragraph was not very clear and I jumped all over the place. The next time we are asked to write a paragraph such as this I will take more time on it and try to keep my ideas clear and concise. 

Keystone #2 How can a graphic novel support my understanding of WW1?

In this keystone we read the Graphic Novel World War 1 1914-1918  we did 3 reflections on the book here is the first one we did was a 3,2,1 sheet about what we learned what we found interesting and what questions we still had. So here is mine.

The next reflection was a battle mentioned in this book. And to make a 5Ws worksheet the 5 Ws are Who, What, Where, When, Why. The battle I chose was the Gallipoli Campaign in which the allies tried to capture the Dardanelles which was a passage to the Black Sea where Russia is located. So here is my 5Ws sheet

The 3rd and Final reflection was a paragraph of one long term and short term consequence of WW1.

Overall I found the graphic novel pretty cool the drawings were very detailed and the information was well informative. And helped further my knowledge on WW1. For next time I can definitely improve once again my paragraph writing was In this one I was hopping from one topic to another and not really sticking with an Idea. I needed to do all things stated above in the first keystone. However I am proud of my 5Ws research as I enjoyed finding the information about the Gallipoli Campaign. In addition to reading the comic we watched the film 1917. I throughly enjoyed this movie as it had beautiful cinematography. It also portrayed the life in the trenches of WW1 very well. 

The third and final keystone How can I support an understanding of WW1 and it’s affect on Canada within a comic panel?

This keystone was all about the planning and creation of our comic. So for starts we made a 5Ws +story arc of our battle to help us plan out and research our topic. Here is mine.

The next thing was a storyboard to help plan out our comic here is my storyboard.

Ok so before I show you my final comic I think personally this was my weakest keystone as my storyboard was not very good and as your about to see my comic does not have very detailed drawings. However I think I have a good story and all my historical facts are presented. So without further ado here is my comic

Vimy Ridge (👈 click)

So as you can see in my comic my drawings are not very good and could definitely have been improved however my story and historical facts are told in a accurate and interesting way. If I were to do the comic again I would spend more time on the drawings to make them look nicer. To further enhance my story. Now the answer to the Driving Question just as a reminder the question is: How might we use graphic novels (comic books) to understand Canadian involvement in WW1. In my opinion the answer is.  Graphic novels can help you understand the complicated history of Canadian involvement in WW1 by breaking them down into simple drawings and telling them in a fun and interesting way to keep the reader interested. I for one find it much easier to learn about history when the topic is told in a interesting way with fun visuals. 

My Final thoughts on this project. Overall I found this project quite enjoyable it was cool as a Canadian to learn about our involvement in WW1. My closing thoughts on the war itself are after indescribable suffering and 17 million people dead and another 20 million wounded. The world learnt its lesson and never had such a awful war again… for about 20 years. 

Cya Carter=Blog 

Believe in, Good Blogpost

Hello and welcome back to another maker blog post this project was called Believe in Good. We read the book 7 Habits of Highly Effective People By: Stephen Covey. The driving question for this project was: How can I be my most effective self? The answer will be at the bottom, but here is a quick recap of the project. So we had to read the book, so we read it in sections 2-3 habits per reading section. These section were: The Private Victory, Public Victory, and Renewal. So your probably asking “What are the 7 Habits”. Well I will break down each habit and give you the basics. 

Habit 1: Be Proactive 

This habit is seeking help when needed and being as it says “Proactive” in getting stuff done if you need help you seek it out. 

Habit 2: Begin with the End in Mind

Begin with the End in Mind states that you should look at the final goal or product before starting the steps to reach that goal. Included with this habit is a Personal Mission Statement Table. Which is meant to be your driving statement for your life. Here is mine 

Habit 3: Put First Things First

In this habit you learn to prioritize your work do things that are harder or need to be completed then do easy things or the things that are due later. 

Habit 4: Think Win-Win

Think Win-Win is the idea that everybody can win there doesn’t have to be one winner and one loser. 

Habit 5: First Seek to Understand, Then to be Understood

This habit is trying to understand them as a person before they can understand you. A example of this is if Bob is having a bad day you must understand that before he can understand your problems. 

Habit 6: Synergize 

Synergize is working together to achieve a goal, that individually you couldn’t do yourself. Or making something better, with someone else then you could do on your own. 

Habit 7: Renewal

Renewal is taking time to rest yourself Mentally, Physically, Spiritually, and Emotionally. So that you can be more effective in the first 6 habits. 

Alright so what work did we actually do in this project? Well we made these things called “Choice Boards” these choice boards were vehicles to showcase our learning they were broken down into categories . Some of these categories were: Audio, Visual, Kinesthetic, and Written. A few examples of things in these categories were a Podcast, Dance, Children’s Story, a collage. 

For the first Choice Board I made a podcast about the first 3 habits. 

My 2nd Choice Board were Keynote slides that had a small drawing and a personal connection to each habit. 

In the 3rd and final Choice Board I made a video showing 2 of my penguin plushies sharpening the saw. 

So the competencies being assessed for this project were: Empowered Learner: How might I use technology to construct knowledge? And Creative Communicator: How might I use technology to create and communicate?

So for the first competency Empowered Learner. I used my iPad to build my knowledge on the 7 habits by reading the book. And taking notes on them. I constructed a thoughtful pool of knowledge in my journey through this book. I learned that its ok to not do homework right away when you come home and instead read of just relax your brain to Sharpen your Saw. Is there room for improvement? Yes I think that I could have done more independent research on the 7 habits to find out what makes them so effective. Thus increasing my knowledge and performance in this project. 

For the 2nd competency. I think I used my iPad which is the tech to show knowledge at a accomplished level of understanding I say this because I filmed, drew, and created my choice broads using my iPad. But that being said I can definitely improve specific skills with my iPad, like editing and filming making sure the camera is focused I could also see about improving creativity with my iPad as some of the drawings I made were very basic and could have been improved. 

Right now your thinking “what’s the finished product?” Well the finished product is 3 Choice Boards. One Audio, One Visual, One Kinesthetic. And of course the Blog Post. So here are my 3 final choice boards. 

This one is a collage of habits 5&3 I chose these images to show a you must put homework before relaxation. I also mixed in a bit of habit 7 as you must be well rested and in the right mental state to complete your work. And habit 5 is represented by those coworkers having a meaningful conversation to work more effectively. 

The 2nd one is a podcast made by me and Declan (👉 blog) called the PPPPPPPPPP podcast yes that is a real acronym that we made stands for “ The Passionate Polite People from the Parent Participation Preschool Present their Perfect PLP Podcast”. So we covered 4 habits. Habits 1,3,6,7. In this podcast we talked about how you can apply these habits in real life situations.

The 3rd and final Choice Board was a Interpretive dance to some thinking music In which I covered habits 4 and 2 all let the video speak for itself. 

Anyways what you’ve all been waiting for the Driving Question answer. So as a reminder the driving question was: How can I be my most effective self? I believe the answer is quite simple. Find what systems and habits work for you to meet deadlines, keep up your mental, physical, emotional, and spiritual health. Because at the end of the If it works it works and if other people find it weird or don’t think it will work prove to them that it will work for you. Personally I set reminders and use an app called Things to help me keep track of my homework. I try and find a healthy work life balance and I try to exercise at least twice a week. I watch YouTube to escape normal life. So again my answer find whatever system or strategy that works for you and stick to it. Until it either doesn’t work anymore or you find a better strategy. 

Thanks for reading my blog. 

Carter=BLog 

D to the I to the Improv?

It’s another year of Destination Imagination, this year I was the Improv group we actually got to present in person instead of a video. It was a lot more fun but definitely more stressful. Our group  Leap Before you Look was a improv team. So what was this years challenge? Well this years challenge was called “Festival Frenzy” here is a list of all the festivals. We could only chose ten the ten we chose are highlighted. Here is a photo of the festivals and the ones that we chose. 

After you pick ten festivals you research these festivals and put them into a festival binder. Then when you go to the tournament you draw one of those ten festivals randomly. You also draw a goal and fork in the road. The goal is something you must accomplish by the end of the festival. The fork in the road is a choice that you draw randomly during a 30 second intermission between act one and act two. You should also not accomplish the goal till act two. 

My group this year was Jocelyn(👈 link), Brooke(👈 link), Ben.Y(👈 link), Noah(👈link), and myself. This time as we did not do it in a video format we had to prepare a lot more. We were fairly disorganized at the start and didn’t really start to put tons of work in until later on. Our festival binder, which is a bunch of papers with information relating to our ten festivals was lacking key information for the most part but we fixed that at the very end. Our team struggled to practice improv as some of our team thought we had no work to do and thus could just mess around. Needless to say the teachers were not very happy with this and after some lectures we got working more. Another thing you need for improv are 10 boxes that will help enhance the skit. 

Some things that went well were. Our performance was pretty good we did not finish our skit however because we ran out of time. But overall it pretty good our team was able to bounce ideas off of each other and we worked very well as a group. 

Things I can work on for next year. I think I can improve on teamwork before presentation day as to start with our group argued a lot. And we wasted class time arguing. Another thing is being less distracted by unimportant things such as having a irrelevant conversation with someone else. 

Dun! Da Na NA!!! The moment you have all been waiting for our DI challenge!!! WHOOOOOO!!!!!

So another year of DI done all be back next year with another one for now though thank you. 

Carter=Bloog 

Metaphor Machines!!!

Hello and welcome back to another scimatics blog post. This project was call Metaphor Machines, the metaphor part was symbols to represent the scientific method. The machine part was a Rube Goldberg Contraption, in which we had to turn on a light switch. This project also focused on lightbulbs, switches, wires, volts, and ohms law. The driving questions for this project (yes there are two driving questions) were: How can we represent the scientific method? What factors affect the function and efficiency of electrical circuits? These questions will be answered at the end. 

Ok onto the project itself here our blueprint for the machine: 

As always with a scimatics project we started with a Project Start Mind Map which I will show now along with the Project End Mind Map. 

Now onto the Circular Competencies 

#1 Questioning and Predicting: Demonstrate a sustained intellectual curiosity about a scientific topic or problem of personal interest  

For this competency we used most of our class time effectively but were still distracted by things around us. This caused us to not have a better machine, as I believe if we had used more class time it could have been way better. For next time we/I will try not get distracted with things in out environment. 

#2 Reasoning and Analyzing: Estimate reasonably

This competency was for our final blueprint. The one I made met the criteria fairly well it definitely could have been added to to make it and extending. In the future I will try to take more time with my drawing and adding more accurate depictions. I also think that if I had spent a little more time on this it could have been a lot better. 

#3 Planning and conducting: Select and use appropriate equipment, including digital technologies, to systematically and accurately collect and record data. 

For this competency my group mate Noah did most of the actual circuits and making sure they worked. I added the circuits and such to the blueprint. and I definitely could have made the circuits a more accurate representation of the actual thing. I also did not use the right symbols. On the diagram. Next time I will use correct symbols and make sure that I am doing everything to the best of my ability. 

#4 Scientific Communication: Formulate physical or mental models to describe a phenomenon 

Our video that we made was good. We had voiceovers and everything we needed though we could have gone more in depth with our metaphor and gotten a extending. In the future we will make sure to go more in-depth with what we are saying and use better examples. 

Now here is the video: IMG_2787 

Now the answer to the Driving Questions which were: How can we represent the scientific method? What factors affect the function and efficiency of electrical circuits? To answer the first one. We can represent the scientific method through symbols that display the process. For example we had a graph chart analysis for the analyze stage of the machine. For the second one I think the answer is certain factors effect the function for example the amount of resistance in a lightbulb will effect how bright it is.  The amount of volts you have coming from your battery will effect the overall effectiveness of your circuits. 

Now once again here is our video: IMG_2787. My group mates were Noah, Ewan, and Luca links 👈

We worked hard on this project and came up with some pretty ingenious solutions. Anyways thanks for reading have a good day 

Cartier=Blooooog 

Case For a Nation and the Crimean War

Hello welcome back to another blog post today we are talking about nationalism and what it means. Our topic that I chose was  The Crimean War of 1853 in which Russia went to war against Great Britain, France, Ottoman Empire/ Turkey, Piedmont-Sardinia/ Italian Republic. A main cause of this war was the religious conflict between the Catholics and the Russian Orthodox’s. The Driving Question for this project was: How can an understanding of nationalism in the past, help us make sense of today?” I will answer this at the bottom of the post.  So to start this project we made a very fun video about Canadian stereotypes using the Tik Tok sound “Ayo Canadian Check” our group for this video creation was Fraser and Mickey I was the only one actually in the video. Here is the video. 

The final product of this was a image that we made around our topic you make 3 images and you and your group each pick one, then it was turned into a instagram post on this account 

Historical Perspective 2022 

So you’ve also seen our images now but here are the original 3 that I made you had to have one “drawn on image” one quote and one “other” in which you could chose what you made it.  

Our group for the Crimean War was Ewan, Noah, Luca, and me (links to there blogs are there names).  

Keystone Understandings: 

Keystone #1: How are nationalism and identity connected?

The assignments for this keystone were: Canadian Check, Current Events Presentation, and Nationalism Jigsaw. 

I already told you about the Canadian Video. But the current events presentation was a 5 minute presentation to 3 people about a current event. I did mine on the Russia Ukraine War. And finally the nationalism jigsaw which we did at the start of project, there were stations that you go to about different topics on nationalism and you were to fill out a chart. Here is mine 

For this competency I would put myself at an extending because I think my current events presentation showed a sophisticated level of my thinking. Our Canadian Check video was funny and had most of the typical stereotypes. For the nationalism jigsaw I would say that it was very good although we could have added more to the “extra details” section. 

Keystone #2: How did nationalism change BNA? (British North America)

First your probably wondering what BNA is well BNA stands for British North America when the British had control over the entirety of Eastern Canada call it BNA. For this Keystone we did Confederation Simulation, 8th fire video response (which we haven’t actually done yet as of writing this), Image Curation and Critiques. The Confederation Simulation was a simulation about Canadian Confederation. You were one of 6 groups, the groups were: Canada East, Canada West, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, and PEI (Prince Edward Island) you were to create a document about what your colony needed to join the confederacy (Canada) my group was Canada East here is an image of the things we required before joining confederation, also images of our Final proposal and whether or not we signed to join. The people in my group for this were Teva, Ben.T, and Mickey. (Names are links I keep saying this because linked words are not blue on my blog I’m not sure why.) 

Overall for this Keystone I would that I was extending because out Confederation Simulation was very insightful and we had lots of important things on there as you can see the most important one to us was the survival of the french language as we did not want the French culture and heritage to be buried under government policies and regulations.  

Keystone #3: How can I write to support an opinion?

These are the assignments completed in this Keystone: Individual Opinion Write Up, Image Curation and Peer Presentations. The Individual Opinion Write Up was a paragraph assignment on our opinion on our event, mine of course was the Crimean War so here is my paragraph:

The Image Curation and Peer Presentations. was presenting our images in a keynote here is all of our images in a keynote. 

Also here is the link to the instagram where are photos are. For this Keystone I would put myself at a accomplished for this as my opinion piece was good but our presentation definitely could have gone smoother and we were not as prepared as we should have been.  

Now overall this project was very fun and I enjoyed learning about Canadian History and the forming of Canada. If I were to do this project again I would focus more on the presentation that we had to do and try and make it more smooth and have all of our facts in order. For this project I would put myself at an Extending. 

Now the answer to the Driving Question which to remind you is: “How can an understanding of nationalism in the past, help us make sense of today?” I would say the answer is Understanding nationalism is vital for the future because we are more doomed to repeat history if we forget about it, we will forget the good that happened and the bad. With that being said though we shouldn’t admire the bad stuff that happened just acknowledge it, know what caused it and why it was wrong. So you won’t repeat the same mistakes. 

Thanks for reading this blog. Enjoy your life 

ç宆Er=bLøg 😉 

We Never Retreat?? Sounds Like a Military Disaster. Loon Lake 2022

Hello there friends welcome back to another blog post my name is Carter 

We finally went on a PLP field study to Loon Lake in Maple Ridge BC here is the route we took 

Now when we arrived at Loon Lake we started off with a scavenger hunt of sorts locating buildings around the campus.  I will now show you a Youtube video that i’m in made by classmate Fraser (check out his blog here—> Fraser’s Blog) 

Now I was sleeping in the Yew cabin with my good friend Noah . First and foremost this trip was very fun and I thank my teachers Mr.Hughes, Mrs.Willemse, Mr.Harris, and Ms Maxwell for planning and taking us on this trip. So after the scavenger hunt we got our cabins assignments as I said I was in the Yew cabling with Noah as my roommate. Other people in this cabin were Sylas, Max.L, Patrick, Cooper, and Mr.Harris were on the top floor with us on the ground floor there was: Jocelyn, Gwen, Brooke, Dana, Makenna, Hannah, Alicia, and Faith. We also had a lower floor connecting us to the Arbutus Cabin nicknamed by them the “Frat House”. Anyways after we got settled in our rooms. We had some free time to chill. 

Then we ate dinner which was delicious. Then we had a “Mandatory Fun Session” in which we could watch Olympics, play board games, a chill lounge, or basketball in the gym. I played board games with my friends that night was very fun. After that we went to a “advisory group” lead by a teacher depends on which group your in. Then we went to bed. We started our learning the next morning with a DI sweat box which is a intense work session with our DI groups. I feel this “sweat box” brought us closer together and made us work better. I learned from this experience that working closely with my team around me really make for a more productive environment. We also worked on the 7 habits book which is a book about 7 habits that make for highly effective people. We basically just got to work during this period and it was nice and chill. In the afternoon, after a tasty lunch we did a shelter building exercise with our classmates. Doing this activity I learned the importance of not destroying natural habits and that the ecosystem is delicately balanced. So with this we were only allowed to build structures out of fallen branches. We built a lean to against the side of a log. Here our some pictures of when we were out there 

Then we had more food and free time and had more Mandatory Fun as well the options were the same. And I attempted to play monopoly with some friends only to get MAD because HASBRO DECIDED TO REMOVE CASH FROM MONOPOLY AND REPLACE IT WITH CREDIT CARDS. WHY!!!!!!! MONOPOLY WAS FINE BEFORE WITH CASH. IS IT BECAUSE KIDS CAN’T COUNT AND DO SIMPLE MATH!!!!!! Anyways after getting mad about that. We attempted to play but stopped when it got to boring. Then we had advisory again which was used to reflect on our 1st full day there. Then we went to bed. 

In the morning after breakfast we did more 7 Habits work and then ate lunch. After lunch Grade 8s and 9s were spilt between outdoor activities and DI and then you would swap. Our group did Di first and it was again very productive we ran through lots of improv skits and assigned roles for each festival ie who would play the main character and such. After we swapped to the outdoor activities which were Battle Archery and Outdoor Lasertag we first did archery it was very fun basically you launch foam tipped arrows at one another in a game of dodge ball or dodge arrow. Here is a photo of one of my teammates hiding behind cover 

After this we moved on to outdoor laser tag which was laser tag across the entire campus and was very accurate, although I found it to accurate and a bit glitchy as one of the kids was invincible for the first round. Other then that it pretty fun and it was also cool because laser tag is generally a indoor sport played in the dark. So it was very cool to play it outside during the day. After that we had some free time before dinner. And then had more Mandatory Fun. I watched the woman’s hockey Gold Medal game for the olympics Canada vs USA it was very fun to watch but I left early to take a shower because I was sweaty and dirty from lasertag and archery. This was our final night here so me and my friends Noah and Cooper stayed up a little later then we were supposed to and hung out in a room.

On our final day of Loon Lake we were once again treated to a yummy breakfast followed by a complete cabin clean out. Afterwards we did a 8s vs 9s capture the flag and obviously Grade 9s one because were just so much better then the 8s (JK in PLP were a team). Then it was lunch and onto the bus to go back home. I really miss this place sitting in front of the fireplace and chatting with friends and doing all these fun activities. That I was fortunate to participate in. I learned a lot about team work and how to control myself in a public space overnight and to not go crazy. An example of these are we were left unsupervised during our Di sweat box as we were improv and needed a quiet place to practice we behaved well, and were very productive. 

As you know in PLP were all about learning from reflection so here is the learning. Overall the most important thing I learned on this trip was the power of team work (I know that sounds cheesy). Being so close to my classmates for four days I really got to know them better and I know feel like I could work better with any of them. Another thing I learned was that the bedtime schedule of 10:00 was very good and allowed me to be more alert in the morning.

To help us keep track of everything we did. We made a Book Creator Book about loon lake here you find everything we did and some photos of food. 

Learning Advance 2022

Thanks for reading my blog hope you have a nice day. 

mPOLS!!!

Mr.Harris this is my mom and dad (Vickie & Dave)

Hello all, here is another blog post. A little different then normal one instead of reflecting on either humanities scimatics or maker. I’m reflecting on all 3 for an mPOL. What is a mPOL you might ask.  A mPOL is a Mid Year Presentation that occurs for PLP students as a time to reflect on everything since September. I will break this down into our 3 subjects. These subjects are: humanities, maker, scimatics. 

Thank you for coming to my presentation of learning. I am the expert on my own learning. I am also responsible and accountable for my own learning. You can expect me to give an honest evaluation of my progress. We will discuss my strengths and opportunities for growth. Thank you in advance for listening and for offering feedback that I can use to improve as a learner.

Here is my Learning Plan

Humanities

So far in humanities we have done 3 projects.

People and the Environment 

Link to blog post—->HumansvsNature

This project was by far my worst one of the 3. For multiple reasons number probably being the fact that it was the first project back from summer break and I was not happy to be back in school. 2nd I didn’t enjoy the topic we were writing about and thus was not very motivated. If we were to do this project again I would definitely put more effort in and be more positive. 

Revolutions on Trial 

Link to blog post RevolutionsonTrial

For this project the 3 main ideas we worked on were: What events happened in the revolution that I am studying. Why do revolutions happen. How do legal teams prepare for trial. The final product was a mock trial performed for our parents.  I would say personally I struggled with this project the least. I say this because I was very interested in this subject and I love learning about revolutions and history.  For the next group project I should be more focused in the group and contribute more. 

Working with Words 

Link to blog——> poetrypoemsaboutpoetry

In this project the 3 main ideas we focused were: Finding creativity and joy in poetry, Comprehending poetry to make meaning, Using creativity, joy, and meaning to create effective texts. Our final product was a Poetry book.  I was skeptical about this project at first because I’m not the biggest fan of poetry and I find it quite boring. But after completing the first few poems (mainly the haikus) I started to like this project more and more, until I found it fun. For next time I will try to me interested and motivated from the get go. 

Maker 

So far this year we have done no maker. 

Scimatics 

We have also done 3 scimatics projects so far this year. 

Game Laws Exponents 

link to blog gamelawsexponents

For project was very fun. In the end we made a board game using math. But I struggle with math a lot so this project was not easy for me. But the fact that I got to do it with my friends and we made a scuffed risk for our board game outweighs that. If this projects were to happen again we would definitely make out board game less broken and confusing, as we ended up with to many rules and a very easy way to win. Just get lucky and roll a nine and a nine.  The Big Ideas were: Reasoning and analyzing, Communicating and representing, Applying and innovating.   

Correlation vs Causation

Link to blog post——> correlationsvscauseation

In this project the big ideas were: Planning and conducting, communicating and representing, applying and innovating. In this project I would say I learned the most. I say this because I understood the key concepts of this project the whole Correlation-Causeation thing. But if I were to go back I would improve our presentation and our survey questions to make it more relevant. 

Chemistry Stories

link to blog post——> ChemistryStories

This is our most recent scimatics project. The Big Ideas were 

Communicating, processing and analyzing, questioning and predicating.  This project was my definite F.A.I.L. As I struggled with this greatly. An example of this would be my animation it self it doesn’t meet the criteria fully and is not very detailed. Next time I will take greater care in making my animation and improving the drawings, also paying closer attention to the rubric so I know better ways to succeed. 

How can I improve my learning plan for next year?

I succeeded in my learning plan is I improved my participation in class discussions. I also made sure to keep my ideas and what I can do realistic.

How I F.A.I.Led I failed in my learning plan as I did not improve my math skills and participate  in  scimatics class discussions as much as I would have liked.

For next time I can add more systems.

Chemistry Stories

Hello!!!! Welcome back to another scimatics post in this project we made a animation about chemistry. What about chemistry you ask? Well covalent and ionic bonds. What are those well let me explain.  The Driving Question for this project was: How do the electron arrangements of atome determine the chemical and physical properties of elements and compounds. Now I believe the answer depends on how many neutrons/protons are in the atoms  

Covalent bonds. Covalent bonds is when to atoms share electrons to create a bond. This sharing is known as covalent bonding. 

Ionic bonding is a little bit different as it involves one atom giving another atom directly. Different to when covalent boding occurs. As only on atom gives away an electron. They do this to have a balanced valence shell. 

Onto the actual project. We had to make two separate animations. One for covalent and one for ionic.  Here is a success criteria. 

So there is the criteria. 

Circular Competencies time    

Competency number 1: Communicating: Formulate physical or mental theoretical models to describe a phenomenon this was the accomplished criteria. I think I am a developing stage for this project. Because I don’t think my information is 100% correct and the drawing themselves could definitely be improved. For next time I will try to take my time with the drawings and not rush them so much. 

Competency number 2: Processing and Analyzing: Construct, analyze and interpret models and/or diagrams. This was the competency for our animation I feel like I’m at a developing on this as well, as my animation was ok butI missed some key points, and could have added more detail. 

Competency number 3:  Questioning and Predicting: Demonstrate a sustained intellectual curiosity about a scientific topic or problem of personal interest. This was the competency for paying attention and focusing in class. I would say I’m at an accomplished level for this as my class time was used effectively. But I was still distracted, and I must continue to progress at not being distracted. 

Next let’s move onto the steps for this project 

To kick off this project as we normally do, we made a project start mind map plus my project end mind map. Here they are.

Then we did an experiment using Zinc and hydrochloric acid with a little fire. We made bubbles and air pops. But, before we could do this experiment we had to make an animation about it, plus all the safety tips. Here is a video of the experiment.

Next we moved onto making a storyboard for our animation. Here is mine

And finally we made our animation (click the link below I promise it works it just doesn’t glow)

IMG_2457.mov

And Boom, my beautiful animation is complete.  And so is this blog post till next time. 

Bye Bye 

Carter=BLœg

By January 26, 2022.  No Comments on Chemistry Stories  Scimatics   

Poetry Poems About Poetry

Hello welcome back to another blog post. In this Humanities project, we made poetry. In total we made 9 poems. All of these poems were centred around worldview. For those of you who don’t know what worldview is here is an image presented to us by our teachers.  

Your probably wondering what these terms represent. These terms all together represent how we see everything. These terms essentially make you and what you see. The driving question for this project was: “How might I construct text that shows who I am right now?”

Normally here would come the point where I list all of the poems that we made and explain them but instead I’m just going to show you the final product which is a eBook. We would go home and do 1-2 poems as homework. 

Poetry Poems About Poetry

After you have read all of that time for Keystone understanding. 

Keystone 1: Finding creativity and joy in poetry.

This first keystone was really a introduction and start towards the project. If I’m being honest I was not looking forward towards this project. As I am not a fan of poetry. I like more now after this project as I now know that you can write poetry about anything. Ready watch I’m going to make a haiku. 

Poetry keystones

Are very cool, so cool awesome 

I like chocolate

See I am a pro at poetry beautiful haiku that is a haiku because it follows haiku pattern of 5 7 5 which means the first and third lines are 5 syllables and the middle on is 7. This haiku also uses a juxtaposition meaning the third line is a surprise not related to the first two lines. 

Keystone 2: Comprehending poetry to make meaning .

In this keystone we made a poetry terms study guide for a upcoming test here is that study guide. 

In this keystone we made our haikus as part of this keystone. We did a really fun activity where we got a certain part of a haiku and we had to finish it.  

Keystone 3 Using creativity, joy, and meaning to create effective texts.  

Was finishing poems. Important to note that in all of these keystones we worked on poems. We put these poems into book creator which is what we sued to publish our poems as you saw above. At the time of writing this we have not had our LANUCH event. But I can tell you what it is.  It is a coffee house poetry reading. Unfortunately due to Covid restrictions it is a virtual coffee house (doesn’t even have coffee). Anyway here is what I learned plus the answer to the driving question. I learned that poetry doesn’t have to be boring of sappy. It can be cool take for example my book which you can read again right now

Poetry Poems About Poetry

. These poems are not old fashioned words or sappy love confessions, they are truly and deeply me.

Now as for the answer to the driving question which in case you for got is: “How might I construct text that shows who I am right now?” I believe that the answer whatever you think. Let me elaborate on that. What I mean is it’s whatever’s in your heart. That’s also pretty vague. Constructing this text I feel is easier in poetry because there is no real formant to follow unless your writing something specific i.e a haiku of ABAB rhyming couplets. You can pretty much write whatever your feeling or who you are and there in no judgement. 

Alright thanks for reading have a nice day. Also here is the book one more time 

Poetry Poems About Poetry

Edit: So we have officially completed the poetry reading night which brings us to the end of the project. My thoughts on the poetry reading itself. I think that the poetry reading was fun. Though it was a bit glitchy and slow going to start as the teachers were still figuring things out. All and all very fun. I think we did great and I read some ok poetry.

Carter=BLog.