DꓯNIƎꓶ WIꓛꓘSꓕONƎ

Telus vs. Rogers

In scimatics, we just finished the second part of our linear equation project; Cell Phone Systems. After concluding Flow Like Water, it was time to expand our knowledge of linear equations by solving with equations. The driving question for this unit was How can we use systems of equations to determine the least expensive cell phone plan that meets our needs? Our job was pretty simple; research 2 or more cell phone plans and create and solve equations regarding them that determine which one is the better deal.

My partner for this project was Alivia, and I think we worked well together. We split up the work well, me taking on the lead role as she was away for all of the lessons. We decided to make a keynote because it could best show the logistics which is key as this project dealt with a lot of numbers. All in all this project went really well and I’m proud of our presentation. Our feedback was great and showed that we excelled in almost all categories. I’m glad I can see how my effort to improve my group work is paying off.

Throughout the course of this project I used core competencies such as…

Modelling with mathematics in situational contexts by researching real-world Phone plans and creating a theoretical situation that required the user to need the cheapest phone plan for travelling to the US.

Exploring, analyzing, and applying mathematical ideas using reason, technology, and other tools by creating valid equations and them putting them in to graph form using various technologies such as Desmos to help us come to a solution.

Explaining and justifying mathematical ideas and decisions in many ways by not only showing our graphs and equations, but by analyzing and discussing the details of how and why they work the way they do. In our presentation we made sure to be clear about what each term meant and how different parts of the equation affected other parts.

Representing mathematical ideas in concrete, pictorial, and symbolic forms by using accurate graphs and images that add to our points and help the viewer understand more clearly. We used these to our advantage and made sure to put a spotlight on the various pictorial and symbolic media’s in our presentation.

danielw • April 15, 2019