Echos of Colonization

The Echos of Colonization

Heeelloooo and welcome back people! It’s been a while since I posted my last blog post, because I have better things to do in my time (protecting Gotham 🦇), but you probably didn’t miss me so it doesn’t really matter🗿. Anyways, for this post I will talk about my humanities project, called Echos of Colonization. It was all about, well, colonization! And if you don’t know, colonization is the act of taking a piece of land and calling it your own, regardless of people living there previously. This project was about the colonization of North America, specifically Canada. In 1603, French explorer Samuel Du Champlain arrived in the St. Lawrence River, with the intent of setting up the first ever colony in Canada. Many explorers had come before him and had been trading with the First Nations Groups for centuries earlier but none had actually made a permanent settlement. It all went downhill from there. 

Consequences of Colonization:

The driving question for this project was “What were the consequences of colonization”? There were many consequences that came from colonization, but for this project my group (consisting of Eloise, Evelyn, Brooklyn, and Myself) and I decided to focus mainly on health, and gender roles. I think that the ultimate answer to the driving question is, Indigenous people losing their identity’s. After the Europeans came to North America they striped the First Nations, of their identities by putting them in residential schools in order to make them lose their language, culture, connections, beliefs, and there for losing their identities as Indigenous peoples. But with reconciliation on the way, and by learning about our previous actions towards indigenous peoples, we can help anyone who has lost their identity to gain it back.

Craft:

I learnt a lot with this project but I think that the most I learned was about Craft. If you didn’t know, Craft is a really good note taking and document creating app on our IPads, that lets us organize our thoughts however we like! Before I learnt about Craft, I would just take unorganized notes in pages or other apps but now I can be really organized with my documents. (And no, this blog post is not sponsored by Craft). 

The Keynote: 

For our final project we made a 15 slide keynote that we would present to the grade 11’s (uh oh…😳) talking about the significant consequences of colonization. We made the keynotes in groups of 3 (except for my group which was a group of 4) my group consisted of Eloise, Brooklyn, and Evelyn. I will link to their blog posts down below if you want to check those out. Anyways, for the keynote, we got to choose one or two main topics we would talk about, my group chose to talk about health before, at the time, and after colonization, and gender roles before, at the time, and after colonization. We talked about many things like small pox, covid, mental health, infant mortality, malnutrition, and many more health related things that were impacted by colonization. As for the gender role side, we talked about clan mothers, two spirited people, patriarchal structures, violence towards indigenous women and girls, how men get paid better for sports and get better opportunities and how now, we have more equality. We also had a fun quiz at the end of the presentation, to keep our viewers listening. All is well and ends well…. OR SO WE THOUGHT!!! [insert dramatic music] We were assigned ANOTHER keynote! But there was a huge twist…. The keynote could only be 2 slides and only have three words per slide! It was also timed, it couldn’t be over two minutes, or else we would be FAILED!!!! (I’m kidding with that last part) Anyways, this keynote had to answer our driving question which was (if you were paying attention you would know by reading above) What were the consequences of colonization? I chose to talk about loss of identity, residential schools and reconciliation in my slide. 

ANYWAYS….. That’s that! Thanks for reading! Don’t forget to check out my group members blogs which I will link to down below. 

Brooklyns blog:

Eloises blog:

Evelyns blog:

MPOLSSSSSS!

FIRST EVER MPOL!!

Hello you silly goober! Welcome back to my blog! Todays post will be all about my first POL (presentation of learning). In this case the POL will be a MPOL (Mid-year presentation of learning)! Basically an MPOL is a student led conference where you tell a story! Not just any story though… Your learning story! It’s a story that you will tell to your teacher and your parent (and anyone else you have invited). It’s a good opportunity for your teachers and parents to understand more about how you are and where you are as a learner. It’s a 12 minute conference ( 7 min for your story and then 5 min for parent/teacher questions). Lets begin!

Thank you for coming to my presentation of learning. I am the expert on my own learning. I am also responsible and accountable for my own learning. You can expect me to give an honest evaluation of my progress. We will discuss my strengths and opportunities for growth. Thank you in advance for listening and for offering feedback that I can use to improve as a learner.”

My learning plan: 💡

At the beginning of the year, we created learning plans that highlighted areas we wanted to improve in different aspects of learning, like taking initiative, staying engaged, behaving well, being ethical, preparing effectively, managing ourselves, communicating, and working together. We also wrote down our goals and intentions for what we wanted to learn and achieve.

My statement of learning intent: 🎓

As part of the learning plan, we made a statement of learning where we write about what we plan to do, learn, act, and grow as learners. This school year, I’m eager to deepen my understanding of science, humanities, and maker. In science, I aim to grasp key concepts in biology, and other aspects of science by conducting hands-on experiments and exploring how these subjects relate to everyday phenomena. I want to develop a strong foundation in scientific inquiry and problem-solving. In the social studies aspect of humanities, I want to explore history, and geography, to better understand the world around me. By studying different cultures, historical events, and societal structures, I aim to develop a broader perspective and critical thinking skills. In the language arts aspect, I plan to dive into literature, writing, and communication. I want to improve my reading comprehension, writing style, and ability to express ideas effectively. By analyzing literature and engaging in creative writing, I’ll enhance my communication skills and appreciation for diverse perspectives. I’ll showcase my learning by participating actively in discussions, writing thoughtful essays, and demonstrating a strong grasp of key concepts in both parts of humanities. Similarly, in Maker, I plan to learn practical skills like coding, digital design, etc, using them to create innovative projects. I’ll demonstrate my proficiency by actively engaging in building projects, and presenting my work with confidence and creativity. This year I want to really get into the High-school lifestyle and grow as a learner. I also hope to learn new and interesting things that I can grow my knowledge of. 

Strategies and habits I will work on: 🧠

• I need to work on having better time management so that I’m not handing things in late or just barley on time.

Getting better at managing my time is crucial for meeting deadlines and reducing stress. Setting clear goals, prioritizing tasks, and minimizing distractions during work will help me stay on track. Regularly checking my progress and taking breaks for relaxation will keep me productive. By doing these things consistently, I’ll improve my time management and get things done on time with less stress.

• I think that by upping my self regulation I would have a healthier balance between school and my own time.

Strengthening my ability to manage impulses and stay focused on priorities will help me allocate time more effectively for academics and personal activities. Setting clear boundaries, like establishing specific study hours and designated relaxation periods, will contribute to maintaining this balance. With better self-regulation, I’ll make smarter choices about how I use my time, leading to a more satisfying and well-rounded daily routine.

Science: 🧪

For my first reflection, I wanted to start with science, because it is the easiest. I have only finished one project in science so far, but it was a blast. We made a video game to display our knowledge about atoms. It helped me use my tech skills and also experiment with the website scratch, and coding! As of now, we are working on a project about cell biology, which I find really interesting, so that has been fun so far as well! I think based on my level of understanding on atoms, I could have gone more into depth and made a more advanced game, but otherwise I was really proud of my final product! This is my science blog post!

How have I demonstrated my learning? 💁‍♀️

I have demonstrated my learning in science by using my critical thinking skills to look past what I need to do and try to answer the driving question to the best form of my ability. I also was very active in the learning so that helped me stay interested in the learning and also be more into the classes. 

What are areas of growth? 🌱

I think that some areas of growth are for me to be more prepared and have better management with my time so that I’m not procrastinating and handing things in late/last moment. I have so many tools on my IPad to help me with these things, so I think that I need to get better at utilizing these incredible tools. I think based on my level of understanding on atoms, I could have gone more into depth and made a more advanced game, but otherwise I was really proud of my final product! I also think that instead of going a little beyond (for example, doing five pages instead of four) I could be going a lot more beyond, (for example, eight pages instead of four). Because I know I am capable of doing it. 

Maker: 💻

For my maker reflection, I wanted to reflect on my favourite project, called Becoming a PLP Learner! It was our first maker project and it was all about getting to know the tech we were given and getting to know our selves as learners. We made some really fun things such as my User Manuel! It’s was a fun way to write about yourself, in the form of a user guide. I am also really proud of my Memoji! As another aspect of the project, we made a customized Memoji using stickers and images to display who we are as learners. This is my maker blog post!

I have demonstrated my learning in maker by being active in the learning, and having a open mind when it came to learning things I wasn’t super interested in. Like for example, I wasn’t exactly stoked when I heard about the project “Finding Fun with Drawing”, but I kept an open mind and it ended up being rather fun!

What are areas of growth? 🌱

I could work on many things as a learner, but I think the things I could work on most, especially in maker is, my ability to stay on task, and be productive with my time. I found myself low on time to hand in something or get something done plenty of times. I think I grew more nearing the end of the semester, with more time to get things done and having things handed in on time more often!

Humanities: 📖

As my reflection for humanities, I would like to mention how many projects I’ve done in humanities, so this was hard to choose. I think my favourite project was “Bon Voyage”. It it was on an interesting topic and it allowed me to use my (mediocre) drawing skills and (mediocre) video editing/making skills to create a AR video, that displayed the causes and consequences of colonization. This is my humanities blog post!

I have demonstrated my learning by being interested in what we are learning (except for our poetry project🤫), and being able to share and collaborate with my classmates to gain a deeper understanding of what we are learning. 

What are areas of growth? 🌱

Some areas of growth for me are being able to go more beyond of what’s asked of me in order to expand my learning. 

THATS IT!

Thanks for bearing with me and reading this post (I don’t mind if you didn’t actually read all of it, I wouldn’t)! That is the long and boring story of my learning. Thanks for reading! Don’t forget to check out some of the links and media I added (again, I don’t care if you don’t)! 

AR Making Something!

AR Making Something (see what I did there?)

Hello and welcome back to the amazing and radical place that is my blog!!!‼️🐺😛🔥💥😎 today you guys can read all about the humanities project called BONVOYAGEEEE‼️👺💥🐺😎🤟 Its set in the age of exploration, so the age when the Europeans started to colonize all around the world. This age allowed for so many opportunities and new ways to be uprooted by other societies and places. Without the age of exploration, we wouldn’t have access to half the things we do today. The driving question is “How can we use storytelling to investigate what sparked global exploration and understand its impact?” I think that by making a story to spread knowledge is the best way to get people to understand because it activates all thier senses and really gets people active in the learning. It can also make the learning easier because you are hearing it in a way that you understand. 

Brainstorming boards:

For our fist assignment we made brainstorming boards on Padlet! It helped us find all the different reasons (causes) and affects (consequences) of the Europeans coming to North America. 

(Sorry for the bad quality)

Cause and consequences:

For this assignment we made a sheet that connected the causes and consequences of the Europeans coming to North America. Some causes were for example, the king being rich enough to fund exemptions to gain more land and power. And then a consequence of this would be racism. Filling out this sheet helped me really start to connect the two different factors.

AR Makr: 

For the final assignment, we made a story. But it wasn’t just a story, it was made in a cool app callled “AR Makr”. AR Makr allows you to tell a story while also displaying images! For the actual writing part, we had to create a fictional story about a exhibition to North America. My story revolves around a ship captain who accidentally goes to North America instead of Madagascar. After we finished our story, we made drawings to correspond to the different parts. Then we put all the drawings into AR Makr and made a video/story. My story has a beginning, middle, and end that clearly displays a historically accurate struggle about racism and many other real life problems. 

(Flip your screen for better view)

Thank you for reading this blog post! I had a good time making this project, so hopefully this post was just as good! Happy spring break!

Destination Imagination!

Hi and welcome back to my blog post! In this post, you’ll be learning about my first experience with Destination Imagination (DI). Destination Imagination is a world wide (if you make it to global’s) tournament that tests your team work, critical thinking, and creative skills. At the beginning you are put in a team group. I was in a group with 4 other amazing people (I will link their blogs down below). When you are settled in your group, the team manager (a teacher or parent) tells you about your task. I was placed in the scientific challenge. 

The challenge:

A broken jar, a bit of stone—the remains of the past are all around us. Have you ever wondered what those things might have been used for or what they meant to the people who made them? What archaeological mysteries will be revealed in this year’s Scientific Challenge?

-Create and present a story about a character whose discovery of an artifact leads to a finding.

-Include an archaeological investigation that contributes to the finding.

-Design and create a puppet that will portray a character from the past.

-Create and present two Team Choice Elements that show off the team’s interests, skills, areas of strength, and talents.

The building:

For the building aspect of DI, all went really well! Im not supposed to share to much of our solution, but I can say that our props and physical aspect of our challenge went really well!

The performance: 

For the final aspect of our challenge, we preformed using all of our props and solutions as a sort of play. We used the story part to portray a message about a young boys love for science, but he doesn’t quite have approval from his peers. And then we used our physical props to make the story come to life. My team did really well in the performance, and it showed because we won first place! We were prized on our acting skills, and specifically our props, which were made all by scratch and with care. We had three vases, made with Papier-mâché, clay, and chicken wire. Then a puppet (our character from the past) which was made out of a mixture of styrofoam, clay, and cardboard. We also had cool costumes to make our characters pop! And for the last aspect we had 3 different backdrops, which we changed depending on the scene. I think we could improve a bit on our backdrops to make them a bit more clear and detailed, to give our audience more to look at. Also adding a bit more enthusiasm and energy to our performance (this excludes Tyler). But otherwise our performance was top notch! 

IMG_8959 IMG_8959

Overall reflection: 

DI is a fun (for the most part) way to challenge your team works skills and your stress tolerance. It also allows you to do some critical thinking and to use some extra brain power at times. You will have to meet new people and also work well with a group. 

Thanks for reading my blog post! I’m off to spring break, so I won’t post much for the next few weeks! Make sure to check out my groups members blog posts to see their views of DI! 

Chloe:https://www.blog44.ca/chloer/

Tyler:https://www.blog44.ca/tylerm/2024/03/14/di-ing-to-get-it-done-destination-imagination-regionals/

Aidan:https://www.blog44.ca/kieral/

Finnlay:https://www.blog44.ca/finnleyl/

To make a video game!

To make a video game!

Hi and welcome back to my blog! It’s been a while hasn’t it? Anyways, for this blog post your in for a treat! This will be my first ever science blog post! In this super amazing and radical post, you’ll be learning about my first ever science project! The driving question for this project was “How can we communicate our knowledge of atoms in a fun and creative way”? To communicate our knowledge we made video games! On a website called “Scratch” we made some pretty cool video games with coding to display and communicate our knowledge of atoms. There are many different types of games you can make, but I decided to make a trivia game!

Amazing radical science quizzzzz!!!

Since I’m not that creative when it comes to naming things (except for my dog) so, I named my game “Amazing radical science quiz” with a few extra “z” and some exclamation marks for dramatic flair. My game is all about using your knowledge to complete a quiz. There are some simple questions and some more advanced questions to test your knowledge. It uses relatively simple coding to be able to click on icons to answer the questions and to get replies weather the answer is incorrect or correct, also to be able to hide and show answers based on the questions and backdrops. If you would like to give my game a try, you can search on the website “Scratch” or you can click on the embedded website I have put into this post. 

Reflection

I think this project went really well and I am very proud of the finished product. It was a great opportunity to test my thinking and technical skills while still doing something fun! I was presented with many challenges like ‘how do I get this to change when I click it’ or ‘why doesn’t this move when the backdrop switches’ but I was able to use my critical thinking skills and my communication skills to either ask for help, or find the solution on my own. 

Thanks for reading my blog post! I hope you enjoyed learning about my first ever science project! Make sure to check out my game, and or, read about some of my other experiences!

All about poetry!

All about poetry

~Hello, and welcome back to my radical blog! This post is all about poetry and my latest humanities project! This project is called ‘Working With Words’ and it’s all about poetry! The driving question for this project is “How might I write poetry that I enjoy, and shows who I am?” I think that writing poetry is different for all people, but to me I think that the most important thing for your writing to be meaningful is that you write about something you care about. If you write about something meaningful to you, your words will come across that way. 

In this project we wrote ten different types of poems! All of them were about our worldview’s.  They were all personal poems we used to express ourselves, and convey messages we think are important.  We also looked at many other poems, and did some brainstorming to help make our own poems even better. Then we used the incredible app called  ‘Book Creator’ to make our own poetry books!

We also made an all about me video! It is a 1 minute or less video describing everything about me! If you want to check it out on my YouTube channel where it’s posted!

~Thanks for reading my post! I hope you enjoyed all of the poetry! Make sure to check out my book, and have a good time reading all of the different poems! Bye!~

Radical Innovations!

Radical innovations or how it’s going

Welcome back to my blog! For this post you will learning all about the last humanities project we had before winter break! The driving question was “what can we learn from the past and why does it matter to us today?” I think that by learning about the past, we can recognize how lucky we are to be living in a world where the beliefs, laws, and ways of life are very different from the past. 

As one of the assignments we had to make and artwork choice chart! It helped us share with our group to and to help us get ideas for our final real life triptych! 

This project was extra special because our final products would be shown off at the winter exhibition! The winter exhibition is a PLP exclusive event where all 5 grades show off what we have learned in the form of for example a debate, or in the grade eights case, a triptych! A triptych is a three piece artwork that usually has a similarity between the three, like for example, the background. We made our own triptychs and then preformed them by standing still in a certain position to represent a different person in the society’s of the medieval, renaissance, and modern times, in front of a big audience! 

At first we made a digital version of our triptychs and then we preformed it in real life!

The digital version:                                        The physical version:

Radical Innovations or How it’s Going, built on our previous project “Power Play or How it Started” in many ways. For example many of the assignments were similar therefore, we could build from our previous one too make the new one even better! In Power Play or How it Started, we made an artwork choice chart, at first I struggled a little because I didn’t understand but then I got the hang of it, so when we did a second artwork choice chart in Radical Innovations or How its Going, I new what to do! Also, both of the project’s had the same driving question, meaning we could use the answers from the past project to help us elaborate more and give a better answer this time. 

If you would like to read more on our past project, Power Play or How it Started please click on the link provided!

Finding fun with drawing!

Finding Fun With Drawing!

Hello and welcome to my blog (aka the best blog in the world)! This time I’m going to walk you through my latest maker project! This project is called “Making fun with drawing”, and the driving question is “Why is drawing so important?” This project was made so that we could not only have fun making art, and get to know the awesome app called Sketches Pro, but also to understand why art is so important for many reasons. Art can be used to display emotions, messages, and history. We have learnt so much about the past from artwork. We wouldn’t know half as much about history without the artwork that was kept and found. 

The Bubbly Letters!

Our first task was to create an artwork using one word. I choose the word “Twice” because of two reasons! Firstly Twice is one of my favourite music groups, and secondly I thought it would be really fun to make a sort of logo. I chose a pastel, cute kind of vibe to go with the bubble letters.

The Radical Robot!

For our second piece of art we made a robot out of 3D shapes! For this we used Sketches pro to make 3D shapes that put together a robot! Then we shaded and added awesome colours! I named my radical robot Bert, because I thought if fit him really well.

The Exquisite Emoji!

As our third piece of art we made a custom emoji! First we made a circle, then we started to add facial expressions and more customizations,  then once we were finished with our customizations we added the most important parts…COLOUR & SHADINGGGG!!!!! To make any piece of art pop you will probably need colour or shading or both! 

The Breathtaking Brand! (logo)

As our last task for this project, we came up with our very own brand! My brand is a food chain that allows customers to experiment, and customize their food. Instead of the “ordinary” food experience, the customers can use their imagination to create the meal of their choice! They can add and mix ingredients to make a completely new dish. After that we made our very own breathtaking brand logo! I choose the colourful background to represent that the brand isn’t “ordinary”, and the colours are there to really show how exiting and fun this new food chain is!

Thank you for reading about my maker project! It was a really fun experience because I got to use my imagination to create fun and awesome artwork! I also got the chance to create artwork to represent myself! Thanks again and goodbye!

Power Play!

Hello, and welcome back to my radical blog! This blog post is all about my humanities project. This project is called “Power Play or how it Started”. The driving question that was to be answered by the end of the project was “what can we learn from the past and how is it relevant to us today”. For this project we went through many assignments that made up the project. Let me go through them!

The Book of the Lion:

The Book of the Lion was a bit of a challenging read, because it was set in the medieval ages when the crusades were happening. Personally, I wasn’t a huge fan of it because it was a very slow moving book with little conflict. However, it did help me find out more about what it was like back then.

The Great Law of Peace:

For this part of the project we learnt about the  Haudenosaunee society, a First Nations group still here today. I choose to write a blog post to show my understanding. Here is the link: https://www.blog44.ca/elsaw/2023/11/03/the-great-law-of-peace/ 

The Feudal system:

For this, we learnt about the feudal system. To show our understanding we had to use the evidence of our readings, to complete a window notes diagram.  

The crusaders dialogue:

Next we made a dialogue, to represent the two different worldviews of the muslims and the Christian’s. We used evidence from our reading to make a little skit about the crusades. It shows how the Christians were only doing it for fortune and clearing their sins, and how the Muslims were trying to get them to stop killing thousands of innocent people.  

The Tribute:

For this benchmark, we made a tribute/skit for a historically significant leader. My group chose to do our tribute on Queen Elenor. We made our tribute funny but still serious. It highlights how much impact Elenor had on feminism and empowering women. 

The Sketch and Tell:

For this we made a sketch showing how power can be gained and lost. But there was a catch, we weren’t allowed to use words! We had to represent all that without a single word!  

The Artwork Choice Chart:

Last but not least… The final product! We used an app called Arts and Culture to find specific images to insert into our Artwork Choice Chart. Then, we incorporated all of these images into our main painting.  

Thanks for reading all about my project journey! I learnt a lot and had a good experience! Hopefully you did too!

🎶It’s the end of the world as we know it!🎶

Hello! Welcome to my blog! Welcome to the one and only place to read about MY reflection on our latest humanities project! The driving question was something I didn’t really understand, but now I do! “How can a text help me understand myself as my worldview is changing?” It’s long and kinda confusing right? 

Well, let me break things down for you. 

The Outsiders:

The “text” is a book called The Outsiders (if you haven’t read it you should). While we were reading The Outsiders we had multiple breaks in between chapters, to discuss our opinions in the form of role sheets. Every time we had a role sheet due we would get together with with our groups and present our role sheets. 

The Mind Node:

As a benchmark for this project we used the app called Mind Node to create a brainstorming mind chart to get the general idea of our own worldview. We added seven bubbles branching of the main bubble labeled; My Worldview. Each branch was labeled one of the seven main aspects of worldview, geography, time, beliefs, society, values, economy, and knowledge.

MindNode mid map

The Meme:

Next I’m going to explain the Western Worldview Meme! For this benchmark we made a meme that explains the western worldview. We chose the famous “its fine” meme with the dog in a burning house. We changed the words to represent the western worldview.

The meme

The lyrics:

Next we had to craft the lyrics of our song. Using our notes from the outsiders and learning about worldview, we made the lyrics of our song about how going into high school would change our worldviews.

The song:

Last but not least…THE SONGGGGG!!!!! The song was the final outcome of the project where we used our world view notes to create the most radically awesome remix of the famous song called It’s The End Of The World As We Know It by R.E.M. We were paired into groups and we had to record, sing, and make a music video! How cool is that?! And after all that work here is the final outcome!

Thank you for reading my post, and I hope you now understand what this project was about! It was a really fun project and I learnt so much from it!