The Wilderness!đŸ»đŸŒČđŸŒŠđŸŒ·

The Wilderness Must Be Explored!

Heeeellllooooo goooberrrrsss (my fandom name)! Welcome back to my blog! This is a post all about the most exciting humanities project I’ve ever experienced! This project was all about advertisement and inspiring adventure. The driving question was “How does language inspire adventure?” Ads use awesome visuals and cool stories to get you curious and excited. They show epic places, crazy activities, and breathtaking scenery to make you dream about going on adventures like that. Ads create a strong connection and make you want to live those experiences. They often paint a picture of a perfect life where adventure is a big part, pushing you to want to explore and discover new things. Some ads create urgency with limited-time offers, pushing you to act fast. When they feature famous people or influencers known for their adventurous lives, it’s super convincing because you want to be like them. Ads also say that trying new things and stepping out of your comfort zone can help you grow and discover more about yourself, encouraging you to be more adventurous in your everyday life.

The Quarry Rock Ad!

Who are first assignment in this project we took a short field study up to Quarry Rock where we then took pictures and asked hikers what brought them to Quarry Rock. Then we took this information and made an ad to visit Quarry Rock! We found out that most people go there for the excitement of a challenging hike (and an opportunity to take Instagram photos.) For the ads, we got maybe one or two revisions but in the end, we were all pretty happy how they turned out. 

copy_5835A167-99F8-45D6-BD80-29E014F33A5F

The Oregon Coast!!!!!!!!

Every year, the PLP grade 8’s, go on a trip to Oregon and now it was finally our turn!! on the trip we would learn a ton of stuff and also get to experience the coastal beaches and learn more about the history of not only Oregon, but the entirety of the US. This trip was a great way to test my limits on needing time away from my classmates and also running a whole day on 5 to 6 hours of sleep. This trip also tested teamwork skills like for example the quests that we did together, (you can read more about this in my adventure book that I will put below.) 

Rubber Boot Evidence!

Also, this wasn’t exactly an assignment, I just wanted to put it in here because it’s hilarious.

The Adventure Book:

During our adventure in Oregon, we were supposed to keep track of our time by documenting everything in an adventure book! Although I wasn’t glad at the beginning that we had to do this I’m really glad that we made this book because now I can look back at this trip and look back at all the fun memories and experiences that I got to do. If you would like to flip through my book and learn more about our Oregon adventure in better detail, please do, I recommend it. It will be a fun experience.

2024 Spring Exhibition:

Now it’s time to talk about the (second) highlight of this project
..THE SPRING EXHIBITION!! This being my first spring exhibition. It was all new to me. The main theme of the spring exhibition was based off of our Oregon ads. My groups theme was excitement and escape, so we decided to play in zip lining, which was the most exciting part of the Oregon trip. Our food choice was apple juice and cookies. Apple juice and cookies are the two consumables we chose to enrich our audience with, because we thought it tied into excitement perfectly! During our field study to Oregon, we went zip-lining! During the zip-lining adventures, we were given the food choice of apple juice and cookies! Then we used our Oregon ads to make a display that would hopefully get the audience wanting to go to Oregon. I think that the exhibition went well, other than the fact my group had water balloons and I’m guessing you can tell where that led to. Thought to be fair, it’s not entirely realistic to expect a bunch of 13-year-old kids to be able to stay in one place for four hours and not want to have a little fun with water balloons. 

GROUP MEMBERS BLOGS:

Siena:

Eloise:

Cole:

Samuel:

IMG_8784 IMG_0074

Thanks for reading!! 

I’m hoping this is my last blog post for the year, so I’ll see you silly goobers next time!!

ITS T TIME!đŸ—Łïžâ€ŒïžđŸ”„

TPOL

Hello you silly goober! This is the blog post all about my very first TPOL! I made it through my first MPOL so hopefully I make it through my first TPOL (I’m crossing my fingers). Just kidding! If you don’t know already, POL stands for Presentation Of Learning and the T stands for Transitional meaning the transition to the next grade. In this blog post I will talk about 10 main things, including the driving question, my growth as a learner in all my courses, my work ethic, my work habits, my areas for improvement, my success behaviours, revisions, teamwork, responsibility, and my production of work. These are just some of the things that make me a learner. Like my MPOL (Mid Year Presentation Of Learning) the TPOL also has a time limit of 7 minutes. In those 7 minutes, I will tell my story of learning. I hope you will enjoy my story. 

POL declaration: đŸ—Łïž

“Thank you for coming to my presentation of learning. I am the expert on my own learning. I am also responsible and accountable for my own learning. You can expect me to give an honest evaluation of my progress. We will discuss my strengths and opportunities for growth. Thank you in advance for listening and for offering feedback that I can use to improve as a learner.”

Science: 🩠

I have demonstrated my growth as a learner in science by applying critical thinking skills to go beyond the basic requirements and thoroughly answer the driving question. I have also been very active in the classes making it ten times more interesting then if I weren’t actively learning in the class. I think that at the beginning of the second semester when science started I wasn’t exited for science because I thought it would be boring, but as soon as we started working I realized that we were going to be doing some really interesting stuff and soon came to love science. 

Humanities: 📖

In humanities, I have previously struggled a lot with organizing my time well and I would constantly find myself being swamped with work. Now on the other hand, I have gotten much better at organizing my time and work much better. I have made out a system that works really well for me because that way I can balance my school and social life as needed. 

Revisions: My Oregon Ad 🔁

After our trip to Oregon, we were required to make an ad that displayed a certain theme about Oregon. My theme was ‘excitement and escape’ so I had to make my ad correspond correctly to the theme. I had approximately 4-5 revisions, but throughout the revisions I pushed through and came out with a final product that I really liked. You could tell that every time I made a revision, it looked better and better. I’ve always had some struggles with getting told my work isn’t good enough or that I need to re do it, but PLP has taught me that its not a bad thing to get a revision, but instead it pushes you to get your best work done. 

Before:                                                  After:

Teamwork: The Spring Exhibition đŸŒ·

I think that one of my best moments for teamwork was the spring exhibition. Because of our group being the smallest, we all had to put in much more work than some of the other groups. I was very proud of my teamwork in this event because even though I had to put in more work, I enjoyed it and did it to the best of my abilities. I was also responsible enough to make sure that the work that I had to do was done and was also better than was expected. 

High Quality Work: Peanuts Character & Oregon Adventure Book 💯

I have two examples of some work that I am really proud of. Firstly, I have my peanuts character and although I didn’t make this during school year, I’m still really proud of it and I thought I did it to the best of my ability. Knowing that I can’t draw that well, I was really proud of this piece of artwork I made. The task was to draw yourself as a peanuts character, and I think it turned out really well. My second piece of work that I wanted to show you is my organ adventure book. Even though I got a couple revisions on this book, I am really proud of it because I worked very hard on it and I love the way it turned out. I think I put my design skills and writing skills to the test on this book, but it worked in my favour to create a really cool book to remember grade eight by. 

Work Ethic: 👍

If I set my mind on something, I’m really good at getting that done and to the best of my ability but every once in a while, I struggle with putting my best work in for something I’m not very interested in. Sometimes if I’m doing something that I am really interested in I will only focus on that one thing and then get it done really well. on the other hand if if it’s something I’m not very interested in or it’s a job or chore. I tend to have not very good attitude about it and work ethic. Sometimes I will be very obvious with my attitude towards a task or job, but other times I will just quietly judge it. 

Work Habits: 📚

As a person who likes to get something done in one sitting, my work habits aren’t always healthy. But over the year, I have learnt to overcome this and have done really well at spacing out my work blocks and break times. I’ve gotten really good at knowing when I need to stop and have a break and knowing how long I can continue working for. I’ve always been a morning person so for me it’s much easier to wake up at five in the morning to do homework then stay up until 12 doing homework. Being a morning person, I will often leave my work to the last minute and just wake up the very morning it’s due and do it all then, but I have also learnt that that is not an efficient use of my time so I have gotten much better at getting my work done in a little bit instead of in one sitting.

Agency: Seeking help đŸ™‹â€â™€ïž

I’ve always struggled with asking for help whether it’s from a friend, coach, parent, or teacher but over the school year I noticed that I have definitely gotten better. Many times during the school year I found myself stuck on a certain question, or task, but I have been pushing myself to ask for help not just try to figure it out myself and potentially get it wrong. I don’t know why I find it challenging to ask for help but I always struggled with it. I know many people who are told that they ask for help too much but I’m the opposite. This first year of PLP I noticed that I have been in more situations where I needed to ask for help, so that has pushed me to ask for help more often which I think really helped.

Agency: Goals and self assessing ✅

I have never been the type of person to set goals for myself, but with new opportunities like for example, the app Things has really pushed me to set goals for myself so I can grow as a learner. If you don’t know already, the app Things is a great way to keep track of tasks, chores, and of course goals. It is an app you will have to pay for, but it is a great investment. (This blog post is not sponsored). I have realized this year that goal-setting is a great way to push yourself and make sure that you get to where you want to be.

Communication and Collaboration: Peers 👂

I think that overall, I’m very good person to have in a group project because I will do the work that you ask me to do, I will put in ideas, I will provide supplies and most importantly, I will listen and be active in the group. Every single group project that we have been in this year I think I have been an asset to the group and hopefully I will continue to be a helpful and respectful group member. I have been told many times by friends that if they want an opinion on something, they will ask me because they know that I will be brutally honest and give them helpful criticism that they can use to grow. 

THANKS FOR LISTENING TO MY LEARNING STORY!

Thanks for reading all about my first TPOL! I’ll see you silly goobers next year!

Small But Mighty!🩠

Small But Mighty!

This is the story of the radically awesome science project called Small But Mighty! This project was all about the immune system! Being a person who is really interested in the human body (mostly after it’s deceased) I found this project especially interesting! We learnt about two main topics related to the immune system, different cells that help our immune system and vaccines! The driving question is “How does our knowledge of cell biology contribute to public health?” I think that the more you know about a topic the more you can help other people understand therefore, spreading knowledge of cell biology the more people will understand public health.

Field Journal:

To kick off the project we made a field journal all about the growth of bacteria! Our first step was  to design an experiment that would demonstrate the growth of bacteria. I decided to test which cleaning chemicals best subdued or completely stoped the bacterial growth. I then swabbed my shoe three different times and then rubbed the dirty swab on three different Petri dishes. On one Petri dish I rubbed hand sanitizer, the second I rubbed dish soap on, and the third I didn’t put any cleaning supplies on. Then you just sit and wait! As it turns out, dish soap is the best cleaning supply to slow the growth of bacteria. 

Immune Cell Characters:

For our second stepping stone in the project we made cute little characters for the different immune cells! The white blood cell, the b-cell, the T-cell, the anti body, and the macrophage. I chose to draw all my characters as random people from shows and movies. The white blood cell is portrayed a Shrek, the B-cell as Chicken Joe, the T-cell as Shellington, the macrophage as Toothless, and the anti body as Tunip! 

Vaccine Media Campaign:

For our final product we learnt about Vaccines! There are 4 different types of vaccines, the inactivated vaccine, the live attenuated vaccine, the subunit vaccine, and finally the mRNA vaccine. Inactivated vaccines are vaccines made out of dead pathogens so that the immune system can test run it so that if the live pathogen were to come along, then the immune system can fight it off really easily. Live attenuated vaccines are made out of pathogens that have been attenuated (weakened) so that the body gets the weak version of the virus or disease instead of the full force one. Subunit vaccines come from pathogens that have been cut up into microscopic pieces big enough to trigger a response from the immune system but not strong enough to harm you. And finally we have the mRNA vaccine. Vaccines like these, are completely man made. Scientists study a pathogen until they have the ‘recipe’ to recreate it, then they re-make it to be smaller and weaker so that its enough to trigger a response. Now that you know all about the different types of vaccines, I can tell you what our final product was! We made campaigns to make a point against many of the mis information that has been spread about vaccines. For the campaigns, I was paired with my good friend Evelyn! (I will link her blog post below). We made three different campaigns about misconceptions about the COVID-19 vaccine. Two of our campaigns were about how the COVID vaccine would make people magnetic. And our last one is about how the COVID vaccine would make people part of the ‘chess game’ that Bill Gates has engineered into our shots. 

Thanks for reading this post! I really enjoyed this project and I hope you enjoyed reading about it!

Evelyns blog: 

Echos of Colonization

The Echos of Colonization

Heeelloooo and welcome back people! It’s been a while since I posted my last blog post, because I have better things to do in my time (protecting Gotham 🩇), but you probably didn’t miss me so it doesn’t really matter🗿. Anyways, for this post I will talk about my humanities project, called Echos of Colonization. It was all about, well, colonization! And if you don’t know, colonization is the act of taking a piece of land and calling it your own, regardless of people living there previously. This project was about the colonization of North America, specifically Canada. In 1603, French explorer Samuel Du Champlain arrived in the St. Lawrence River, with the intent of setting up the first ever colony in Canada. Many explorers had come before him and had been trading with the First Nations Groups for centuries earlier but none had actually made a permanent settlement. It all went downhill from there. 

Consequences of Colonization:

The driving question for this project was “What were the consequences of colonization”? There were many consequences that came from colonization, but for this project my group (consisting of Eloise, Evelyn, Brooklyn, and Myself) and I decided to focus mainly on health, and gender roles. I think that the ultimate answer to the driving question is, Indigenous people losing their identity’s. After the Europeans came to North America they striped the First Nations, of their identities by putting them in residential schools in order to make them lose their language, culture, connections, beliefs, and there for losing their identities as Indigenous peoples. But with reconciliation on the way, and by learning about our previous actions towards indigenous peoples, we can help anyone who has lost their identity to gain it back.

Craft:

I learnt a lot with this project but I think that the most I learned was about Craft. If you didn’t know, Craft is a really good note taking and document creating app on our IPads, that lets us organize our thoughts however we like! Before I learnt about Craft, I would just take unorganized notes in pages or other apps but now I can be really organized with my documents. (And no, this blog post is not sponsored by Craft). 

The Keynote: 

For our final project we made a 15 slide keynote that we would present to the grade 11’s (uh oh
😳) talking about the significant consequences of colonization. We made the keynotes in groups of 3 (except for my group which was a group of 4) my group consisted of Eloise, Brooklyn, and Evelyn. I will link to their blog posts down below if you want to check those out. Anyways, for the keynote, we got to choose one or two main topics we would talk about, my group chose to talk about health before, at the time, and after colonization, and gender roles before, at the time, and after colonization. We talked about many things like small pox, covid, mental health, infant mortality, malnutrition, and many more health related things that were impacted by colonization. As for the gender role side, we talked about clan mothers, two spirited people, patriarchal structures, violence towards indigenous women and girls, how men get paid better for sports and get better opportunities and how now, we have more equality. We also had a fun quiz at the end of the presentation, to keep our viewers listening. All is well and ends well
. OR SO WE THOUGHT!!! [insert dramatic music] We were assigned ANOTHER keynote! But there was a huge twist
. The keynote could only be 2 slides and only have three words per slide! It was also timed, it couldn’t be over two minutes, or else we would be FAILED!!!! (I’m kidding with that last part) Anyways, this keynote had to answer our driving question which was (if you were paying attention you would know by reading above) What were the consequences of colonization? I chose to talk about loss of identity, residential schools and reconciliation in my slide. 

ANYWAYS
.. That’s that! Thanks for reading! Don’t forget to check out my group members blogs which I will link to down below. 

Brooklyns blog:

Eloises blog:

Evelyns blog:

MPOLSSSSSS!

FIRST EVER MPOL!!

Hello you silly goober! Welcome back to my blog! Todays post will be all about my first POL (presentation of learning). In this case the POL will be a MPOL (Mid-year presentation of learning)! Basically an MPOL is a student led conference where you tell a story! Not just any story though
 Your learning story! It’s a story that you will tell to your teacher and your parent (and anyone else you have invited). It’s a good opportunity for your teachers and parents to understand more about how you are and where you are as a learner. It’s a 12 minute conference ( 7 min for your story and then 5 min for parent/teacher questions). Lets begin!

My learning plan: 💡

At the beginning of the year, we created learning plans that highlighted areas we wanted to improve in different aspects of learning, like taking initiative, staying engaged, behaving well, being ethical, preparing effectively, managing ourselves, communicating, and working together. We also wrote down our goals and intentions for what we wanted to learn and achieve.

My statement of learning intent: 🎓

As part of the learning plan, we made a statement of learning where we write about what we plan to do, learn, act, and grow as learners. This school year, I’m eager to deepen my understanding of science, humanities, and maker. In science, I aim to grasp key concepts in biology, and other aspects of science by conducting hands-on experiments and exploring how these subjects relate to everyday phenomena. I want to develop a strong foundation in scientific inquiry and problem-solving. In the social studies aspect of humanities, I want to explore history, and geography, to better understand the world around me. By studying different cultures, historical events, and societal structures, I aim to develop a broader perspective and critical thinking skills. In the language arts aspect, I plan to dive into literature, writing, and communication. I want to improve my reading comprehension, writing style, and ability to express ideas effectively. By analyzing literature and engaging in creative writing, I’ll enhance my communication skills and appreciation for diverse perspectives. I’ll showcase my learning by participating actively in discussions, writing thoughtful essays, and demonstrating a strong grasp of key concepts in both parts of humanities. Similarly, in Maker, I plan to learn practical skills like coding, digital design, etc, using them to create innovative projects. I’ll demonstrate my proficiency by actively engaging in building projects, and presenting my work with confidence and creativity. This year I want to really get into the High-school lifestyle and grow as a learner. I also hope to learn new and interesting things that I can grow my knowledge of. 

Strategies and habits I will work on: 🧠

• I need to work on having better time management so that I’m not handing things in late or just barley on time.

Getting better at managing my time is crucial for meeting deadlines and reducing stress. Setting clear goals, prioritizing tasks, and minimizing distractions during work will help me stay on track. Regularly checking my progress and taking breaks for relaxation will keep me productive. By doing these things consistently, I’ll improve my time management and get things done on time with less stress.

• I think that by upping my self regulation I would have a healthier balance between school and my own time.

Strengthening my ability to manage impulses and stay focused on priorities will help me allocate time more effectively for academics and personal activities. Setting clear boundaries, like establishing specific study hours and designated relaxation periods, will contribute to maintaining this balance. With better self-regulation, I’ll make smarter choices about how I use my time, leading to a more satisfying and well-rounded daily routine.

Science: đŸ§Ș

For my first reflection, I wanted to start with science, because it is the easiest. I have only finished one project in science so far, but it was a blast. We made a video game to display our knowledge about atoms. It helped me use my tech skills and also experiment with the website scratch, and coding! As of now, we are working on a project about cell biology, which I find really interesting, so that has been fun so far as well! I think based on my level of understanding on atoms, I could have gone more into depth and made a more advanced game, but otherwise I was really proud of my final product! This is my science blog post!

How have I demonstrated my learning? đŸ’â€â™€ïž

I have demonstrated my learning in science by using my critical thinking skills to look past what I need to do and try to answer the driving question to the best form of my ability. I also was very active in the learning so that helped me stay interested in the learning and also be more into the classes. 

What are areas of growth? đŸŒ±

I think that some areas of growth are for me to be more prepared and have better management with my time so that I’m not procrastinating and handing things in late/last moment. I have so many tools on my IPad to help me with these things, so I think that I need to get better at utilizing these incredible tools. I think based on my level of understanding on atoms, I could have gone more into depth and made a more advanced game, but otherwise I was really proud of my final product! I also think that instead of going a little beyond (for example, doing five pages instead of four) I could be going a lot more beyond, (for example, eight pages instead of four). Because I know I am capable of doing it. 

Maker: đŸ’»

For my maker reflection, I wanted to reflect on my favourite project, called Becoming a PLP Learner! It was our first maker project and it was all about getting to know the tech we were given and getting to know our selves as learners. We made some really fun things such as my User Manuel! It’s was a fun way to write about yourself, in the form of a user guide. I am also really proud of my Memoji! As another aspect of the project, we made a customized Memoji using stickers and images to display who we are as learners. This is my maker blog post!

I have demonstrated my learning in maker by being active in the learning, and having a open mind when it came to learning things I wasn’t super interested in. Like for example, I wasn’t exactly stoked when I heard about the project “Finding Fun with Drawing”, but I kept an open mind and it ended up being rather fun!

What are areas of growth? đŸŒ±

I could work on many things as a learner, but I think the things I could work on most, especially in maker is, my ability to stay on task, and be productive with my time. I found myself low on time to hand in something or get something done plenty of times. I think I grew more nearing the end of the semester, with more time to get things done and having things handed in on time more often!

Humanities: 📖

As my reflection for humanities, I would like to mention how many projects I’ve done in humanities, so this was hard to choose. I think my favourite project was “Bon Voyage”. It it was on an interesting topic and it allowed me to use my (mediocre) drawing skills and (mediocre) video editing/making skills to create a AR video, that displayed the causes and consequences of colonization. This is my humanities blog post!

I have demonstrated my learning by being interested in what we are learning (except for our poetry projectđŸ€«), and being able to share and collaborate with my classmates to gain a deeper understanding of what we are learning. 

What are areas of growth? đŸŒ±

Some areas of growth for me are being able to go more beyond of what’s asked of me in order to expand my learning. 

THATS IT!

Thanks for bearing with me and reading this post (I don’t mind if you didn’t actually read all of it, I wouldn’t)! That is the long and boring story of my learning. Thanks for reading! Don’t forget to check out some of the links and media I added (again, I don’t care if you don’t)! 

AR Making Something!

AR Making Something (see what I did there?)

Hello and welcome back to the amazing and radical place that is my blog!!!‌đŸșđŸ˜›đŸ”„đŸ’„đŸ˜Ž today you guys can read all about the humanities project called BONVOYAGEEEE‌đŸ‘șđŸ’„đŸșđŸ˜ŽđŸ€Ÿ Its set in the age of exploration, so the age when the Europeans started to colonize all around the world. This age allowed for so many opportunities and new ways to be uprooted by other societies and places. Without the age of exploration, we wouldn’t have access to half the things we do today. The driving question is “How can we use storytelling to investigate what sparked global exploration and understand its impact?” I think that by making a story to spread knowledge is the best way to get people to understand because it activates all thier senses and really gets people active in the learning. It can also make the learning easier because you are hearing it in a way that you understand. 

Brainstorming boards:

For our fist assignment we made brainstorming boards on Padlet! It helped us find all the different reasons (causes) and affects (consequences) of the Europeans coming to North America. 

(Sorry for the bad quality)

Cause and consequences:

For this assignment we made a sheet that connected the causes and consequences of the Europeans coming to North America. Some causes were for example, the king being rich enough to fund exemptions to gain more land and power. And then a consequence of this would be racism. Filling out this sheet helped me really start to connect the two different factors.

AR Makr: 

For the final assignment, we made a story. But it wasn’t just a story, it was made in a cool app callled “AR Makr”. AR Makr allows you to tell a story while also displaying images! For the actual writing part, we had to create a fictional story about a exhibition to North America. My story revolves around a ship captain who accidentally goes to North America instead of Madagascar. After we finished our story, we made drawings to correspond to the different parts. Then we put all the drawings into AR Makr and made a video/story. My story has a beginning, middle, and end that clearly displays a historically accurate struggle about racism and many other real life problems. 

(Flip your screen for better view)

Thank you for reading this blog post! I had a good time making this project, so hopefully this post was just as good! Happy spring break!

Destination Imagination!

Hi and welcome back to my blog post! In this post, you’ll be learning about my first experience with Destination Imagination (DI). Destination Imagination is a world wide (if you make it to global’s) tournament that tests your team work, critical thinking, and creative skills. At the beginning you are put in a team group. I was in a group with 4 other amazing people (I will link their blogs down below). When you are settled in your group, the team manager (a teacher or parent) tells you about your task. I was placed in the scientific challenge. 

The challenge:

A broken jar, a bit of stone—the remains of the past are all around us. Have you ever wondered what those things might have been used for or what they meant to the people who made them? What archaeological mysteries will be revealed in this year’s Scientific Challenge?

-Create and present a story about a character whose discovery of an artifact leads to a finding.

-Include an archaeological investigation that contributes to the finding.

-Design and create a puppet that will portray a character from the past.

-Create and present two Team Choice Elements that show off the team’s interests, skills, areas of strength, and talents.

The building:

For the building aspect of DI, all went really well! Im not supposed to share to much of our solution, but I can say that our props and physical aspect of our challenge went really well!

The performance: 

For the final aspect of our challenge, we preformed using all of our props and solutions as a sort of play. We used the story part to portray a message about a young boys love for science, but he doesn’t quite have approval from his peers. And then we used our physical props to make the story come to life. My team did really well in the performance, and it showed because we won first place! We were prized on our acting skills, and specifically our props, which were made all by scratch and with care. We had three vases, made with Papier-mĂąchĂ©, clay, and chicken wire. Then a puppet (our character from the past) which was made out of a mixture of styrofoam, clay, and cardboard. We also had cool costumes to make our characters pop! And for the last aspect we had 3 different backdrops, which we changed depending on the scene. I think we could improve a bit on our backdrops to make them a bit more clear and detailed, to give our audience more to look at. Also adding a bit more enthusiasm and energy to our performance (this excludes Tyler). But otherwise our performance was top notch! 

IMG_8959 IMG_8959

Overall reflection: 

DI is a fun (for the most part) way to challenge your team works skills and your stress tolerance. It also allows you to do some critical thinking and to use some extra brain power at times. You will have to meet new people and also work well with a group. 

Thanks for reading my blog post! I’m off to spring break, so I won’t post much for the next few weeks! Make sure to check out my groups members blog posts to see their views of DI! 

Chloe:https://www.blog44.ca/chloer/

Tyler:https://www.blog44.ca/tylerm/2024/03/14/di-ing-to-get-it-done-destination-imagination-regionals/

Aidan:https://www.blog44.ca/kieral/

Finnlay:https://www.blog44.ca/finnleyl/

To make a video game!

To make a video game!

Hi and welcome back to my blog! It’s been a while hasn’t it? Anyways, for this blog post your in for a treat! This will be my first ever science blog post! In this super amazing and radical post, you’ll be learning about my first ever science project! The driving question for this project was “How can we communicate our knowledge of atoms in a fun and creative way”? To communicate our knowledge we made video games! On a website called “Scratch” we made some pretty cool video games with coding to display and communicate our knowledge of atoms. There are many different types of games you can make, but I decided to make a trivia game!

Amazing radical science quizzzzz!!!

Since I’m not that creative when it comes to naming things (except for my dog) so, I named my game “Amazing radical science quiz” with a few extra “z” and some exclamation marks for dramatic flair. My game is all about using your knowledge to complete a quiz. There are some simple questions and some more advanced questions to test your knowledge. It uses relatively simple coding to be able to click on icons to answer the questions and to get replies weather the answer is incorrect or correct, also to be able to hide and show answers based on the questions and backdrops. If you would like to give my game a try, you can search on the website “Scratch” or you can click on the embedded website I have put into this post. 

Reflection

I think this project went really well and I am very proud of the finished product. It was a great opportunity to test my thinking and technical skills while still doing something fun! I was presented with many challenges like ‘how do I get this to change when I click it’ or ‘why doesn’t this move when the backdrop switches’ but I was able to use my critical thinking skills and my communication skills to either ask for help, or find the solution on my own. 

Thanks for reading my blog post! I hope you enjoyed learning about my first ever science project! Make sure to check out my game, and or, read about some of my other experiences!

All about poetry!

All about poetry

~Hello, and welcome back to my radical blog! This post is all about poetry and my latest humanities project! This project is called ‘Working With Words’ and it’s all about poetry! The driving question for this project is “How might I write poetry that I enjoy, and shows who I am?” I think that writing poetry is different for all people, but to me I think that the most important thing for your writing to be meaningful is that you write about something you care about. If you write about something meaningful to you, your words will come across that way. 

In this project we wrote ten different types of poems! All of them were about our worldview’s.  They were all personal poems we used to express ourselves, and convey messages we think are important.  We also looked at many other poems, and did some brainstorming to help make our own poems even better. Then we used the incredible app called  ‘Book Creator’ to make our own poetry books!

We also made an all about me video! It is a 1 minute or less video describing everything about me! If you want to check it out on my YouTube channel where it’s posted!

~Thanks for reading my post! I hope you enjoyed all of the poetry! Make sure to check out my book, and have a good time reading all of the different poems! Bye!~

Radical Innovations!

Radical innovations or how it’s going

Welcome back to my blog! For this post you will learning all about the last humanities project we had before winter break! The driving question was “what can we learn from the past and why does it matter to us today?” I think that by learning about the past, we can recognize how lucky we are to be living in a world where the beliefs, laws, and ways of life are very different from the past. 

As one of the assignments we had to make and artwork choice chart! It helped us share with our group to and to help us get ideas for our final real life triptych! 

This project was extra special because our final products would be shown off at the winter exhibition! The winter exhibition is a PLP exclusive event where all 5 grades show off what we have learned in the form of for example a debate, or in the grade eights case, a triptych! A triptych is a three piece artwork that usually has a similarity between the three, like for example, the background. We made our own triptychs and then preformed them by standing still in a certain position to represent a different person in the society’s of the medieval, renaissance, and modern times, in front of a big audience! 

At first we made a digital version of our triptychs and then we preformed it in real life!

The digital version:                                        The physical version:

Radical Innovations or How it’s Going, built on our previous project “Power Play or How it Started” in many ways. For example many of the assignments were similar therefore, we could build from our previous one too make the new one even better! In Power Play or How it Started, we made an artwork choice chart, at first I struggled a little because I didn’t understand but then I got the hang of it, so when we did a second artwork choice chart in Radical Innovations or How its Going, I new what to do! Also, both of the project’s had the same driving question, meaning we could use the answers from the past project to help us elaborate more and give a better answer this time. 

If you would like to read more on our past project, Power Play or How it Started please click on the link provided!