Hello, I’m Erin! Welcome to my blog! I am a student in high school and this blog is about my learning. I am also in a program at school called PLP. click on the link to learn all about it. Recently we finished up a project in our class called Shore to the Core. In this project we got to write and create our own zine about a topic that connects to the North shore, Canada, and around the world. Keep reading to learn more!

Topic selection

For my topic I wanted to do something that was a growing problem and has been a growing problem for many years now. I wanted to chose a topic that I could help share information and raise awareness about. I am really interested in about our climate and daily lives. I chose to do my topic on air pollution. Air pollution is and has been a growing problem for a long time now and the quality of our air is increasingly getting worse.

Air pollution and the affects

Air pollution is and has been becoming one of the largest climate problems in Canada and all over the globe. Vancouver BC is starting to see some of these effects. There is more and more sulfur dioxide and other pollutants being polluted into our air on the North Shore everyday. 91% of the worlds population are breathing polluted air every day. Some kids born today might not breathe clean air until the age of eight. Being exposed to air pollution can cause humans to have long and short term health risks. Some short term effects may include irritation in the skin and eyes, sore throat or cough, nausea and headaches. Some long term effects can include heart disease, lung cancer, damage to your nerves, brain, kidneys, or liver. Nearly 2.5 million people die world wide each year from the effects of air pollution.

How long has it been going on?

There was no exact point in time that we could pin point when air pollution however it has been an increasing problem for a long time. Wars like World War II can and have caused big impacts on our climates. The affects that World War II left on our environment include huge oil spills in the Atlantic Ocean due to sinking of ships, air pollution from many bombings of factories, planes and gas fuelled aircrafts and vehicles. Many wars can cause environmental impacts as they can emit significant sources of greenhouse gasses. We are still seeing some of the long term effects that WWII had on our ecosystem.

Zine

I do not currently have the link to the published zine but when I do I will update this post. Throughout this entire project we got to work with MONOVA. MONOVA has been super amazing with helping us design, create and publish our zines.

Over all I’ve learnt a lot about our earths environmental problems and some of the impacts. I am hoping to help make a change in our ways to look forward to a better planet with better air quality. Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoyed 🙂