🏙️ Vancouver: A super natural place to go? | Vancouver Tourism

Welcome!

In this project we created a video essay about tourism. While most of PLP 10 went on a field study to Disney World in Florida, some of us stayed behind, myself included. Our driving question was:

How do tourist attractions shape and influence the cultural,
economic, psychological, and social experiences of visitors?

Our final video does a fabulous job at answering:

Keep reading to learn about the project and process we went through to create the final video.

• • • 

The first thing we learned about in this project was the Personal Knowledge Manager (PKM). The PKM is a system to keep track of your knowledge: books, videos, articles, etc. A PKM includes the source, a summary, your thoughts, links to similar PKM entries, and tags. 

Since the majority of this project was directed at those going to Disney World, the first practice of the PKM we did was about an article on “How Disney Came to Define What Constitutes the American Experience.” Check out my PKM entry on this topic below:

Click to Open PKM Entry

The first Keystone was to create a series of PKM entires about information we needed to know to answer our driving question. I created five entries about tourism in Vancouver. Check them out here by clicking the cards below:

I really like the concept of the PKM as it makes organizing your ideas and research very simple and easy to connect different topics.

• • • 

The second Keystone was to fill out a pitch board for our ideas and plan for our video. In my group was Nolan, Ariane, Claire and Ben (the other people who didn’t go to Florida). This pitch board ended up being very messy and not well organized. But we were able to plan our video more thoroughly and in a more organized manner in a shared Pages document.

• • • 

The final Keystone was to create a storyboard, call sheet and shot list. Ariane drew our storyboard and we organized the rest in a Craft document. I was really proud of our planning document as it looked visually appealing and was well laid out. Check out our planning document with our storyboard, shot list and call sheet below:

Click to Open Video Planning Document

We then got to go on a field study to Capilano Suspension Bridge with Ms. Maxwell. Despite living in North Van for almost my whole life, I had never gone to the bridge before so I had fun getting to see a popular local landmark. I took a LOT of photo and videos. Here’s some of my favourite photos:

We interviewed one of the managers, Brendan Wong, at Cap Bridge, but unfortunately my phone’s mic was broken and we didn’t notice so none of the interview was usable. Thankfully we were able to find a way to make the video without the interview. We then all edited parts of the video and I put all the parts together to create the final video which you can watch at the top of this post.

Our original video would have only reached an accomplished level of proficiency, so we were given the opportunity to revise our video. With feedback from Ms. Willemse, Claire, Nolan, Ariane and I worked together to revise the video, including re-recording audio and creating an improved thesis to create the greatly improved video you see in this post!

This project enabled me to demonstrate my ability at the curricular competency “Processing: I can think critically, creatively, and reflectively with a variety of strategies to process ideas and further my understanding.” The challenging part of this project was that most of the teachers were in Florida so we had very little support and guidance for this project which made it difficult to know exactly what we needed to do to meet the success criteria.

• • • 

This project had some ups and downs, but overall I enjoyed getting to learn about how the Vancouver tourism industry sells Vancouver as a super natural place to be!

What’s your favourite tourist attraction in Vancouver? Let me know in the comments below.

Thanks for reading! 🌲

3 thoughts on “🏙️ Vancouver: A super natural place to go? | Vancouver Tourism

1. Nice work. It’s not all about how wonderful it is… Vancouver is built on Colonialism and resource extraction, for sure. Beautiful photography tho!

-Gramps.