A Witness to history

Hello everyone and welcome to another covid blog post. This one is all about our latest Maker project, this was also one of my first projects during online school with my humanities gold project which is coming soon. The first thing we did was milestone 1 launch video and what you had to do was a create iMovie video about trailer in iMovie I chose to do a superhero trailer and I really enjoyed making this trailer it as really fun to make and you could have fun with it. But first you had to do a planning sheet so you had an idea of what you wanted to create and to help you get going.

So know we started moving into milestone 2, which was a story telling diagram. Our project was about how covid has affected a community and how later down the road how will look at these times. So we had to create a video showing how covid has affected a community of your choice so my original idea was something about baseball but I kept thinking and thought of what if I did something about the youth of our community and come to realize that it was a good idea so decided to go with it. So that is were the story diagram comes into play so you had to write one and get approved before you could move onto the next step lucky for me I got approved on my first try. so then we moved into milestone 3 which was all about learning about GarageBand and making music so we had to lessons and learned how to make music because for our videos we had to make our own music I found it pretty confusing at first but after working with it for a while I figured out how to make some music. So for milestone 4 it was our story board and again you had to get approved and luckily for me I got approved first try for our story boards we had to basically create what our videos were going to look like on paper and it helps you think about what you are going to create. And once you got approved you could start filming for your video. So I got right to work on filming and getting all my shots and interviews and everything to make sure I was ready and here is my final product

DI Provincials Online🥴

Hello everyone welcome back and today is going to be an interesting post. This is my first post that has do with covid-19 so my last post left off at spring break and unfortunately link to that post if you want to read about what DI is about and what our challenge is about. But the sad news was covid-19 was spreading pretty fast around BC so our group couldn’t meet up and change any of our props so the main focus was our story because everyone could edit it and see it because it was on all of our iPads. Then we found out that DI provincials were cancelled but that did not stop PLP we did it online in a giant zoom call so group had some meetings on zoom as well to get ready and review the new and improved script and we had character changes so we needed to make sure everything was a go. So the day of di and we got in the zoom call watch some of the other teams present and then it was our turn so we all had our cameras on and we did everything like If we were in person. I think the biggest thing I took away from DI over the last 2 years is make sure your time management is good and make sure your group is on point and use your strengths and weaknesses to your advantage during DI and finally just enjoy it.

My Second DI Regionals🥳

Hello everyone welcome back to my blog and today I will talking about  Destination Imagination. This year was a little different I am in grade nine now so we got to choose what challenge we wanted to do with our group. So this year I decided to do the scientific challenge which was all about animals so my group was with Ben, Ally, Meg, Alex and Julia.  So here is our overall challenge for this is the first thing I read because it gives you a good understanding of what you will be creating.

Now this video right here gives us a lot more understanding of what we are creating and all the little details of what you need to do. So now we are in stage 1 and in stage one we had to complete some worksheets on our challenge.  The purpose of these is to get to know our challenge and also to figure are strengths and weaknesses as a group. So that is stage 1 so now w are moving into stage 2. Stage 2 is all about ideas and our team goals, so the first worksheet  was about our resources and constraints. Then we had an idea generation.  So help us get working on our central challenge the next thing we had to do is stage 3. Is all about starting to get roles and characters so I was in charge of the story, the jack lift and being the main character the snake. So we decided that our story was going to take place in Florida and it was going to be about a black mamba. So now your probably wondering about what is our challenge so we had to have a story about an animal that changes in the story and the environment around him had to change so we called it a morph. So we the outsider species morph we decided to have the snake change coular during the presentation and for the environmental change we decided that the eco system was really bad and when the snake help change the eco system by killing palm rats because there was an infestation of palm rats and when the black mamba kills them the eco system repairs it self and we were going to show the tree growing at a fast pace with the jack lift. Our story is about a snake that is not like any other black mamba, and there is a palm rat infestation going on and he is in charge to go kill or make the palm rats leave. Then he meets his fairy snake mother that helps guide him along the way. So now it is tournament day and we are all a little scared of what is going to happen today but also some excitement to because all the hard work we put in is paying off. After we presented we go some really good feedback and some things to improve on and we got right to work because It was a quick turn around into provincials.

Louis Riel!!

Hello everyone welcome back to another post and today I am going to be talking about our unit in Louis Riel. The project started out by doing a current event on a situation involving a First Nations colony or nation. I chose to do the Oka crisis.I thought it was a really interesting topic and I enjoyed reading about it and learning about it. The next thing we had to do was we got assigned a partner for this project and my partner was Kaia then we had to choose a First Nations topic we decided on the pemmican proclamation. The next thing we had to do was our topic research get to know what you are presenting about. In mean time of that on the side we were learning about Louis riel as well we had to read a book and for each of the 4 parts we had to write a summary. The next thing we did was our images draft so at the end of the project we are going to present by making images showing the pemmican proclamation so we had to make 3 images.  This one could definitely use some use as you couldn’t really see the picture and the words I drew on the bottom were not what I expected them to be so I had to change that. After the feed back we got started on our final images. Here they are  Our final images looked really good in my opinion and our hard work showed. In conclusion this project really helped me learn about what the First Nations went through and it was difficult times back then for them. It also helped me learn about photo editing and how to edit photos so they look good.

Metaphor Machines!!!

Hello everyone and today’s post is all about our latest post about Metaphor Machines and electricity. So to open up our project ,we did our project MindNode as per usual and it was about electricity what we knew about it and what are some questions about it. so here is mine and it helped through the the project because you could answer those questions as you go. So then we moved into some electricity labs where we got to play around with some electricity and learn about it with a worksheet.  So as you can see the 3 images at the top are the things I created electricity with the to turn on a light bulb 💡 then at the bottom are some things or the symbols of what everything is called. So next we had to apply some math and we used khan academy for that and we took a test on area and scale drawings. For me it took a while because I didn’t quite understand it at first but after a while I got it done. So know we got building on our machines so what we had to do was make a rube gold berg machine so we had a wood platform and we built it on there with a bunch of spare parts and we built it so at the end of the machine it had to turn on a light. So here is our video it explains our project nicely.

Thanks for reading guys this project me made learn about how electricity moves to places and how it gets to places and also some gravity with our machine.

Canadian Confederation 🧐

For this project I will be talking about confederation this project started out pretty weird but as the project went on I surprised to see that it got a lot better and actually became my favourite project. It all started out by us doing a paragraph on Canadian confederation we read some things out of the textbook and had to do a response. the next thing we were tasked to do was. Was get colony so mine was Nova Scotia I actually was pretty happy with that choice because I have worked with a lot of other provinces in other projects but not Nova  Scotia. The next thing we need is a group so Gabe, Grace, Ally, Rhiann were in my group so we had to do some research on our our colony so we went into google docs and got to work we split up the work by me and Gabe were doing negative reasons not to join and the girls were doing the reasons to join confederation. That system actually worked out really well and we got some good knowledge on Nova Scotia.  So know the project got really fun and interesting to learn about. So we basically got to rewrite history and become the colony’s I think that was pretty cool because there we deals and anlices going on to make everyone join confederation. I think we should do more projects like that it really makes learning more fun and you want to learn and you get really invested on what your learning about. So now back to the project the next thing we did was our preliminary proposals so those our basically what your demanding to be on the final sheet so for Nova Scotia we have a huge ice free port that works all year round which no other colony’s have so we were a big part in the the confederation so our six demands were. Tax steam boats, military support, the capital of Canada to be Halifax, the railway to stop in Nova  Scotia, free trade with other colony’s and also a responsible government because we are a small colony and we need to be in the talk. So after all the colony’s presented there proposals we went to the final proposals and in that meeting you had to make a video explaining what you wanted to join confederation.

In conclusion this project was really fun and helped me learn about Canadian confederation at the start of the project I knew almost nothing about it but after the project I was very familiar about what I was talking about. This project also helped me how to act with a green screen.

Like terms

Today I will be talking about like terms our most recent project in math. To start off our project we did was a LEGO construction contest. Me and my partner Gabe did a lego construction with the website called mechabrick which it basically lego building online it was a pretty cool website and I think we made a pretty cool structure. So Gabe was in charge of the building with help of me and I did all the math.  So there a our scobby do dog house a fence around the edge.  Then here is my math you had to do to make it about our project like terms. The next thing we did was a lot of worksheets and some lesson notes these were really helpful because if you didn’t understand something you could refer to these things and it made you understand things way better and then we moved into our project for this project you could really chose whatever you wanted in this project you just had to be able to make like terms out of it. So our original idea was to make something out of mincraft but after some feedback and some thinking we decided to make a song or a little beat. So how we made was we went into garage band and started to create beats then write down the the polynomials.  So as you can see in these photos the different polynomials and it means we used 8 F-keys on the piano for example it says 16e so we used 16 E-keys. In conclusion I learned a lot of things this project including that me and Gabe do not work well together and when someone is distracting you it is hard to learn but I did learn some stuff about polynomials and like terms.

Nationalism!! And memes?

Hello everyone and today I will talking about our latest project all about nationalism. To start off the project we did out need to knows so we got a little bit of information about the project then we filled out a need to know sheet about the project.The next thing we did was complete a worksheet on historical significance. Usually I hate worksheets! However, this one was not bad because I got to choose what I was researching. So I chose, the first man who walked on the moon which I found out was significant because not everyone can just go walk to the moon.It was not a difficult task but we got it done. Now we move on to the aspect of cause and consequence and this task was pretty cool task you had to chose something that was history and realize what the cause and consequences of it was a I chose the invention of the light bulb.

So know we had a good understanding of what we had to do so we got into the meme making. So know we got into the meme making we used this app called TikTok or you could make regular paper memes. So I decided to make 3 TikToks with Ben and Gabe the first one we made was basketball trick shots I think it went really well because we showed good use of tiktok and we got a good understanding of the app because we were all not familiar with the app.

As you can see it was pretty short so we decided to make another one because we were in the gym but this time we wanted to add transitions.

For our final tiktok we made Gabe make a tiktok, and this one is pretty funny.

So now that we got a good sense of what we had to film we moved on to our final project. It was we had to do the same thing but make it about nationalism but this time I got a little help from my brother.

So my first TikTok was about Africa and how they were trying to divide it up but they could not find an even place so I made a representation of it. For my second one I talked about Anna da Sousa life story and how she has to change religion to save her country.

In conclusion this project really helped me learn how to persuade what I am trying to say in a different way then just speaking about it. This project also really helped me understand what happened back in that time and how hard it was back then. It put a perspective of how lucky we really are.

M-Pol

Hello everyone welcome to my m-pol and today I will be starting off talking about, the beginning which mean coming in to this year my thoughts changed a lot this summer and going into grade nine I really wanted to work hard this year and really prove to my self that I can do anything that I put my mind to there is a quote by Derek Jeter that says there is always someone better then you but no one should work harder then you I really wanted to put that into action this year in anything I did and so far I have no regrets. Now the driving question What is your learning goal that you want to reach by the end of this school year, and how will you meet it? my learning goal this is improving my writing skill and story telling and I also need to work on my organizing for the story telling part I will continue to keep writing blog posts and write story’s but I will focus on the language I use I think I need to use a deeper use of words. I will be also on top of my things and use it more than I do I have been using it more this year but not nearly enough and also put things in my calendar I am getting better on it I put my sports in my calendar but I need to start time blocking my homework. http://www.blog44.ca/kadend/2019/11/28/video-skills-blog-post%f0%9f%a4%af/. This post I think really shows my improvement so far this year but it definitely can be better but I think if I keep working hard this year then this goal is very achieveible. Now moving on to my reflection on humanities science, math and PGP 

For humanities something that I did well was the Russian revolution video I think I did so well on this because I was a leader in my group I made the lyrics and lead the rapping this is something I did well on because I am not usually a leader but I stepped up and in result was a pretty good video. https://youtu.be/ZMsNBBQbUDY Something I could work for humanities is definitely my creative reflections I definitely not the most creative person in the world, so creative reflections don’t come easy for me but I think this a good example because for the creative reflection I did I didn’t get the mark I did and I kept at it and revised I think 2 or 3 times before I was happy with the mark I got. I also think the shows how much harder I have been working this year and I am way more determined this year. https://youtu.be/kFEOd6ds5TM As you can see not a great video but I stuck with it and made a product I was happy with. https://youtu.be/HNzxEjq85iU 

Now moving on to maker I think that something I could improve on in maker is the student blogging challenge this was tuff for me for some reason I not a big fan of the challenge so I was not motivated to do the work so how I am going to improve on it do the challenge in the spring and work much harder on it during the spring and make it on the page for the good work. But something I am really proud of is the wok I did for the winter Exhibition the maker portion of it I worked really hard on the light saber and the launch journal and it turned out really good people loved my creation and it shows hard work pays off. https://youtu.be/6n2Ds8sC55wVIDEO https://youtu.be/://youtu.be/kUDjbPzjz8w. For science I would work on staying on task and not  getting distracted by my friends the way I can improve on this is when my friends talk to me tell them to wait till after class and stay in task to do work something I am really proud of for science is my correlation vs causation project because we did a really good job with our surveys and my partner Kia we worked really well together and things went along smoothly. Math something I could work on in math is like terms we currently doing the project right now so there is plenty of time to improve on like terms but I have to work hard and stay in task and ask questions ask for help when I don’t understand something so I can get better by the end of the unit. I am really proud of our first project in math we made math games using exponent laws to make a math game. https://youtu.be/T3bc7D-Z6JsI am proud of this because at first I didn’t get at all but now I sorta get it but I worked hard to figure it out with Gabe and we made a pretty darn good game. The final subject I will be talking about is PGP something I could work is on my goal for the end of the year is staying organized with my work and utilize the app things. I can work on this getting reminders from my teachers and also self reminding and have my home screen as make sure to use things so I always use it. Something I proud of is well we haven’t done much for PGP but the take your kid to work day was a pretty good video I made it took a long time to make but I think it shows a day in the life as a person who works at Burnaby. https://youtu.be/sLoWVScGlOw. My work habits I think that I am a pretty hard working person who likes to have fun and does not let things get to him  my mom says that I am a very literal person so my work ethic is get things done I don’t mean fast but I get all the things I need to get done, done I also work hard on most projects I said this last year the projects that interest me I work really hard and and I want to do really well on but the ones that don’t interest me are the ones that I have a hard time with I think this is really important that I say this and I continue to work on this I have definitely been getting better at this but it can improve. My work ethics are I am visual learner I like to look at things do it before I actually work on it. Lastly I would like to talk about is the circular competencies I will choose 1 I am proud of and 1 am not proud of the first competency I will talking about is communicate from humanities I did well of this competency because I was able to share my own ideas when presenting and sharing. One I need to work on is identify continuity and change To wrap this all up I am going to ask you a question Do you agree with the stuff I said an how I am going to improve my learning ? If not what should I change? I

Winter Exhibition 🌨❄️

For this post I will be talking about my experience about our winter exhibition all about Star Wars. I have been through 3 exhibitions now and they have all been great but this one was my favourite it was all about Star Wars. For this project it was a mix between humanities and maker the story telling part was for humanities and the building and the artifact was for maker. For humanities the first thing we had to do was a Star Wars opinion paragraph I really liked my post about Star Wars and why it was so popular I think I made a pretty good argument on why.  So now learned about our project and to be able to tell great story’s you need to read some story’s to help you so we were writing short story’s. So one of our tasks was to read a bunch of short story’s and fill out a chart for them. Every couple of days we had to read them and get a understanding of them. The next thing we did was the hero’s outline the hero’s outline is all about your outline for you part in the story. We watched a video in class about the hero’s journey so we had seven people in a group and each person had a part so for the hero’s outline we had to give a little story for it to help you write your story. So now I am on to the story making process at first I was sorta lost because I was part five the sacrifice where there had to be a sacrifice so in the movie the umpire strikes me back more on the Star Wars part later but our story took place on hoth a plant in Star Wars. So in the hoth part in the movie pudge has to sacrifice himself to save Luke Skywalker so I thought that was a great place to start so after a while of writing I got stumped because I wanted to keep writing but I didn’t want to go into the next part of the story and I didn’t want to not write enough, fyi I want into the next part in the story. As you can see I wrote a little to much and the grammar and spelling was not great so I had to improve on that to but when I keep reading it something just was not right so I kept reading and the flow of the text and some of the words could be better so after some editing here is what I came up with. I think it flows really well the spelling and grammar is pretty good but obviously could be better so I fixed that but your not in PLP if you don’t always improve on stuff so I made another draft  I think I definitely improved a lot from the start and my writing has definitely improved from last year I think it shows in this story. The next thing on the list is preparing for the exhibition this year is a little different tho because it is all about Star Wars we were divided into four plants hoth tataween Death Star and endor each group wrote story’s about a character on there plant. But we each a area to make look like your plant so we teamed up with the grade 8 and 11’s to make up hoth we tor down the PLP room and transformed it into Hoth unfortunately I don’t have a picture but you would have had to be there to witness the magic. Now we are going to switch over to Maker for a bit but don’t worry Humanities will be back. For maker we started making our launch Journal where you basically get ideas and make our products. The first thing we did was L phase Look Listen and Learn and the milestone for this section is How might we formthis form is all about what you want to talk about in your project and what you want to build for your project. Then I filled out a pitch form for what you wanted to build at first I wanted to build a life size tountoun I know pretty ambious I quickly figured out that that was not going to be able to work so back to the drawing boards. So after a while of thinking I thought of a light saber because in my part pudge gets killed by a lightsaber so I did some thinking and asked some questions in the A phase and I knew it would be possible. There was this YouTube video that did a really good job showing how to build a lightsaber so me and a little help from my dad attempted to build a lightsaber. Now I will show you a video of my process through the building of the lightsaber and the learning.

So it was a pretty creative way to build a lightsaber. So for you to really understand the process of how I built it I made an explain everything and in the video I explain each step what I did and how I did it.

So know you really understand the process of making the lightsaber now on to the exhibition!! The day of the exhibition just feels different almost like a big sports game or something. Throughout the day we were taking parts of the room down and slowly building Hoth, but after school is were it really begins. So on the outside of the room we had all the grade nines with there story’s then in the middle we had the grade 8’s with there blue sky projects. When the exhibition started there was so much going everyone was coming to my station when person said I have a career in props making and I don’t disagree I am really good with my hands. But in the end this was one of the most fun I have had in school and you can learn important stuff like how to tell a good story but also learn it in a fun way. That reason right there is why I joined PLP.