Overtime….

Hey everyone! This is the final post of my project “Voices of the Cove”. Up above is the final product! Podcast episode #8 Overtime…  

If you’ve read some of my earlier posts you would know I’ve been tasked with creating a podcast episode all about the fifties to modern times . Answering the question “How Did Canadian Life Develop after WW2.”  

This Project began with the DCHS or Deep Cove Heritage Society, a group of volunteers dedicated to preserving information and history. They provided my class with possible interviewee’s and ultimately inspired these episodes.

My episode above (Overtime…) like I mentioned before explains the alterations and continuity’s in Canadian life post war, but also is connected specifically to my podcast topic. My podcast follows family , specifically documenting family and friend stories.

To blend my topics together and create an amazing episode, I interviewed my friends and neighbours Keith and Yvonne. Before I spoil the episode (if you haven’t already listened) I will explain the process and path to my completed episode.

This project like my past projects include specific goals and skill sets, otherwise known as Competencies. For this project we focused on two… 

Improving at each was the main goal of every assignment, here are some assignments I think I definitely learned the most from….

The first assignment that really benefited my learning and got me thinking about my answer to the driving question was Milestone Two. This assignment required for me to research my interviewee’s or topics related to what they might say… 

I began my research by considering what major questions I would ask Keith and Yvonne. I made this list of questions.

Once I knew what we would talk about I needed to prepare. I researched information about the community our interview was about, looking into anything that would inspire new questions or conversation.

Discovering new facts about my episode topic not only helped me structure my interview, but also showed me how much everything had changed.

Seeing images and other forms of evidence really got me thinking about what was truly the same and what had ended or been altered….

Another Assignment which really benefited my learning was the Back in time Reality TV show Reflection….

This assignment also got me thinking about continuity and change.

For this assignment we watched the 50s episode of “Back In Time” a Show that follows a family who attempt to live in the way Canadians did during different time periods. Like Milestone Two I began to see a lot of differences and similarities between the 50s-Modern times. Instead of using my newfound information for interview questions, I reflected on what I noticed.

What do you see in this decade that remains constant today?  I think consumerism is still hugely important in modern society. Since the 50s the idea of collecting and buying a lot of stuff has never really gone away. The idea of demonstrating perfection is also still extremely prominent in modern households. Do you think Tristan's beliefs of the 50's is how women really felt in the 50's? Explain. I think many woman felt the way Tristan believed they did. Some women must’ve not actually enjoyed being housewives, Many could’ve possibly not voiced their opinions or concerns. While I agree with Tristan I think some woman probably really enjoyed how everything operated in the 50s. Like the two woman who grew up during the 50s explained, their mothers seemed really happy and content with their lives. I think if modern woman were told to live in the way woman did in the 1950s, none of us would enjoy it. On the other hand women in the 50s were raised to act the way they did, unlike modern women they do not know other lifestyles. Explain the biggest turning point in the episode. A big turning point is the introduction of the TV. Tristan says “this is the first time I actually feel normal” This is an example of how the TV changed the family dynamic. Bringing the family together in one group, opposed to the mom in the kitchen, the dad at work and kids out with friends. How does the 1950's seem like a great time to live?  While it seems like a very unjust time to be a minority the 50s seem like a generally bright and happy era. This was a relatively peaceful time in Canada, and a safe time. There were new inventions and products making life more enjoyable and easy for many. How does the 1950's seem like a restrictive and difficult time to live?  The fifties was a judgemental era, there was no room for difference. For any minority or woman this was a difficult and challenging time. While there wasn’t much immediate danger, there was a true lack of human rights. If you weren’t a Caucasian man, your future was chosen for you.

This was a great way to learn more about the 50s lifestyle. This also good practice for providing and supporting my opinion.

This assignment was probably my favourite. For Milestone three we were tasked with choosing a topic related to our podcasts. We would then create a Keynote Presentation to share with our class.

I haven’t always liked to present or really talk in front of many people, but recently I’ve been getting much better… After years of singing and PLP, I’ve gotten much better at public speaking. So I was honestly really excited to share my work with my class.

I think I did a great job of conveying my ideas and viewpoints. My topic was pretty uncommon, and I think I presented my information in a way that was clear and easy to understand. Overall this assignment was amazing practice, and helped me become more confident in my ability to present.

All these assignments as related or (unrelated) they are to my final podcast episode, really contributed! I’m really proud of how my episode finally turned out and how I answered the driving question “How did Canadian life develop after WW2” 

Make sure to listen to learn more about the 1950s-Now, and to hear what my interviewees and I had to say about community alterations and constants! 

If you Liked my Podcast episode make sure to check out my friend Rhiann’s, Her podcast is all about amazing places in nature throughout British Columbia!

See you later, 

Kaia 

0 comments on “Overtime….Add yours →