The Battle of the Atlantic | Weekly Post

Welcome back to my blog! This week we did so much work on our podcasts and as of when I’m writing this, I have just finished mine (blog post coming soon).

During this week we also learned about operation Barbarosa. Which was Hitlers plan to attack the Soviet Union during WW2 which ended up having many casualties from both sides. Germany would have actually been successful in doing this and they were almost moving onto invading Moscow but fortunately the extreme cold of the winter had stopped them and they couldn’t continue. 

After learning about Operation Barbarosa I heard my teacher mention The Battle of the Atlantic and she said it would be interesting to research about in our spare time, and so that is what I will be talking about this week.

The battle of the Atlantic was an attack on the longest continuous military campaign in WW2. It started in 1939 until the defeat of the Nazis (1945). It pitted U-boats and other warships of the German Navy, and aircrafts of their airforce (LuftWaffe) as well.

Beginning in September 13th, 1941. The Germans and their allied forces with Italy and started a battle on the campaign. It ended up being a very significant battle for the Germans and their allies resulting in many casualties and sunken ships. All together there were about 3,500 sunken merchant ships, 175 warships, 783 U-boats, 47 surface warships, 4 battleships, 9 cruisers, 7 raiders, and 27 destroyers. All together that is 4,552 lost ships. Although this is a lot of casualties, it didn’t all happen at once. It is often referred to as the “longest largest, and most complex” naval battle in history. The battle started immediately after the European War and carried on for 5 years after.