Luca’s Thoughts

Goals are the fuel in the furnace of achievement.

Bring Your Kid to Work Day

On November first I went to the Sony pictures animation studio in down town Vancouver. The reason why I went there was simple it was bring your kid to work day and that is where my dad happens to work. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to actually be able to work with my dad because the company actually put on an event specially designed for bring your kid to work day. For elementary school students the Wednesday was also of from school so my grade was the oldest grade there. The day plan was pretty simple you have to be there by nine o’clock, so the usual early morning start for me. Once you go there they split you up into two different groups, the people who had been there before, and the people who had not. I was in the later of the two, even though I had been there before I had never taken part in the event. Next they ran us through two different stations one where a guy ran us through the basics of how to animate, which I already knew and one where they ran us through a software called Maya (a way you can animate on the computer). I think if there were a career I would pursue at Sony pictures it would be an visual effects artist or an animator because there’s a aspect of creativity that I like.  Over all I learned a lot of cool elements of the visual effects industry. Most importantly i learned  how to draw a Smurf, but once I got home I was intreaged by the team work of the office. Did you know that they also have an office in LA that they communicate with via video conferencing, and to imagine that they are only in charge of half of the movie, wow. Below I interviewed a CG Supervisor named Jason, unfortunately its just audio because the interviewee did not want to be video taped. I think he has some valid intel on his work place and the industry in general, so it would be a good idea to take a listen.