Hello blog readers,

In April my class went on this amazing field study to Ottawa. This trip was not like a regular PLP field study. There is government sponsored company called Encounters with Canada(ewc) and it’s this great program that teaches teens ages 14-17 about loads of things. Every week they change there subject/theme but a kid can only go once so you have to make sure you go on a week that you’ll really enjoy the subject. For us the teachers decided to go on Vimy Ridge week. If you don’t know Vimy ridge is this battle in Ww1 and since we were learning about Ww1 in English this field study was a good fit. 

April 7

You probably know if you read my previous blogpost that the day that we left for Ottawa was also the day of Destination Imagination. It was a very busy day and by the time we got to the airport we were all excited yet so tired. After everyone was at the airport we all said by to our parents amend made our way to the gate. We were given boarding passes and I don’t even know how but I lost it and so I needed to get a new one. Soon enough we were all boarded onto the plane. Sitting to my right was Lauren and sitting to my left was Maggie. The flight was pretty long and Destination Imagination had really worn me out so I was very tired yet I couldn’t sleep on the plane. 

April 8

Around 3am Ottawa time we got to the encounters with Canada. Then all of a sudden this random lady starts yelling at us the rules of ewc. We all come off the bus get our name tags and go to our rooms to sleep. We have to set up our beds so we end up waking everybody that was in the room. 

I ended up getting two hours of sleep before we all went downstairs to the Terry Fox Centre. This day we didn’t have anything to do so it was a big bonding day. I made friends with people who are from all around Canada then I played monopoly for two hours with the class. I think the class all got closer on the first day of the trip and so I was excited for this trip to make our bond stronger. On the tv monitors they had set up it didn’t say anything we had to do but this assembly at the end of the day. 

April 9

On this day we got to go out to this Vimy Ridge monument. It was a miniature version of the real monument that is in France but it was still really cool. We were also lucky enough to watch this ceremony because it was the anniversary date of Vimy ridge. Also because of this anniversary everyone at ewc got free matching red hoodies that showed Vimy ridge, so when everyone wore there hoodies to the monument we looked like a cult.

April 10

This day was the day we went to the war museum. It was interesting to see all the artifacts and I personally enjoy learning this way more. I soak up more knowledge this way and its harder for me to forget about it. This was also the day I got really sick which wasn’t to great.

Also afterwards everyone got to show what there province is like in a little performance. Our performance was very funny and I recommend watching this video.

April 11

The day that I was so excited for from the beginning of the trip. Parliament day was upon us and I couldn’t believe it. We went inside the parliament building on a tour and got to look around which was great. I truly had an amazing time and I took a bunch of photos. Then we went on this walking tour around downtown Ottawa looking at monuments.                 

April 12

Diefenbunker, do you know what that is? It’s this bunker that was used in Ww1. We got to go inside of it and see what it was like to live in there which was really cool. After we came back to the terry fox centre and had some free time. The free time was over soon though cause we got to go to a cemetery. In this cemetery we had a small ceremony and placed candles on tombstones to show respect. 

After dinner that night we got to pick an activity that we wanted to do but we had to pay for the activity. I chose watching a play. The play that I watched was blink. It was a good play and I really enjoyed it.

April 13

One of my favourite days. On this wonderful day we got to do some really fun things. We had free time in downtown Ottawa for three hours. It was loads of fun to hangout with my friends and just walk around. After we got back from downtown we had a talent show, the finale dinner banquet style, and a dance. The dance started at 12am and everyone who had a flight early in the morning never went to sleep. I purchased a group picture and so did most of the people at ewc. Then I got everyone who I had become friends with to sign my picture which is very cool.

April 14

The last day. The day we had to go home was upon us. We had to pack our suitcases and take everything downstairs as new people had started to come. We didn’t do much on this day it was a day were I just sat and did homework. Then before I knew it we were on the plane and back in Vancouver. Our parents all standing there waiting to pick us up and like always everyone had gotten sick. 

During this trip our assignment was to make a book. Here is my book with all the interesting things I didn’t mention in this blogpost. This book has lots of photos, and it also goes more in depth about Ww1 and my thoughts about it so if you’re interested make sure to check it out.

My Book

On this trip I learned a lot. I gained a lot of knowledge about ww1 and the battle of Vimy Ridge. I made friends with people all around Canada and I don’t think I will ever forget them. Without this trip I wouldn’t have bonded with my friends the way I did. I think the bond between the class always grows in these field studies and this one is just another example of it. I became friends with some people that I wasn’t that close with before for example Logan, Daniel, Isy, Luca j, and Lucas. The experience I received from this trip was amazing. It was a different style trip that we are used to because it wasn’t run by the plp teachers and we didn’t get to go out to eat food everyday but it was an enjoyable trip.