Hello blog readers,

Work safety is very important that’s why it’s one of our required courses this year. Youth are more likely to get injured in the workplace, in fact 34 young workers are injured everyday, so in this unit we learned all about work safety and knowing your rights. 

The first thing we did in this unit was watch a video about 4 teens who got injured at the job. The video was called Lost Youth. The video is really eye opening and in some parts disturbing. The main issue for these kids were that they were improperly trained and made life damaging mistakes. 

After the video we looked more at the rules and the safety laws. We went onto the WorkSafeBC website and using the website filled out this activity sheet. We also learned about our right to refuse work if we think it will bring harm to ourselves or others.

Then we worked on learning about workplace hazards. There are so many different workplace hazards. We all got into small group and learned about one hazard. Some of the hazards were not as obvious as I thought but some were just basic knowledge. We all needed to make a keynote to present to the class and my group was in charge of Exposure to Mineral and Chemical Hazards. My group consisted of Morgan, Isy, and Jessie. I recommend going to Jessie’s page and watching the tik tok on work safety it’s very funny. We presented this quick keynote to the class, and the class did the same with other hazards.

This unit was definitely important to learn. Young workers are at a higher risk of injury so knowing all the safety regulations. Everyone has a right to training and a safe workplace and know with my knowledge from this unit I can be more careful when entering the workplace. There were a lot of things that were just common knowledge but also some things that I wouldn’t think of. Thanks for reading, I will be back after my trip.