Ideas > Art

It’s that time of year again! Blue Sky has come around once again. If you don’t know what Blue Sky is at this point, you’ve got some catching up to do. Click here, here and here for my past Blue Sky projects. This years theme was very interesting and unlike anything we’ve done before. Our end product would be a conceptual art piece that represented a theme of the Vietnam war. Take a look at my final project!

We begun this final unit by learning about conceptual art. Most people are intimidated by the idea of conceptual art, it almost seemed like a very mature form of art. At first glance conceptual art can seem dumb, or too simplistic (seems like a child could make it). Conceptual art is really about the meaning or idea behind the art, which makes it that much more interesting. Here’s a few famous examples (the clock one is my favourite)…

To become really comfortable with identifying the aspects of conceptual art we visited the Vancouver Art Gallery (and Chipotle… of course)! The artist we focused on was Mowry Bawden. His art is pretty easy to spot, it usually consists of everyday objects that create an interactive piece. Here’s a few examples of his art!

After we finished learning about conceptual art we began looking at the Vietnam war. We split the war into 7 themes (forces that fueled the war, beliefs and misconceptions, leadership, who fought, how the war was fought, propaganda truth and media and, the war at home) for the fluidity of it all. Our teachers were actually on a trip while we were learning about this, so we were given many different resources to power through. We also watched the Ken Burns movie on the war, and took notes. Before they got back we had to divide ourselves into the themes, which would eventually be what we would represent through our art. After lots of consideration and research I chose to do theme 4 (who fought in the war).

Once we got back we did something that we rarely do, take a test! This test was comprised of multiple choice questions as well as a writing and vocabulary portion. I ended up scoring a 9/12, so not too bad! 

Now that we knew our themes, it was time to start brainstorming and creating our art. After lots of research and conversations with our teachers we were told to fill out a form with our finalized ideas. Click on the bar below to find out my aim for the art!

The point… The piece highlights the hypocrisy of sending soldiers who are too young too vote drink or get married to a war they didn't understand and appeared unnecessary. It was like sending babies to war. Historical events… As the Vietnam war took off, the need for men had become greater. Between 1964 and 1973, the U.S. military drafted 2.2 million American men. Thousands tried to get out of the draft by intentionally failing the aptitude tests or fleeing to Canada. Any boy over the age of 18 and not currently enrolled in college had to go to war. This attracted individuals who have no other options because they were poor or uneducated. The war went on, as more and more young lives were being lost. LBJ was running for office again, his whole campaign was based upon peace. In fact, in a campaigning he said, “we are not about to send American boys 9 or 10,000 miles away from home to do what Asian boys ought to be doing for themselves.” (Johnson) Although he wished for peace, just a few short months after the Gulf Of Tonkin Resolution, Johnson rapidly increased US military presence. 184,000 troops were stationed in South Vietnam by the end of 1965. Of those killed in South Vietnam once the war escalated, 61% were under 21. Ethical judgement… The ethics of conscription are still greatly debated. Many historians and people view the draft as a decision to abrogate personal liberty. According to Christian Appy in Working-Class War, “most of the Americans who fought in Vietnam were powerless, working-class teenagers sent to fight an undeclared war by presidents for whom they were not even eligible to vote.” He brings across many valid points that challenge just how ethical the draft was. Why should teens who have barely reached adulthood fight in a war that they can't even vote for? As well as age- education and wealth seemed to be a pattern in draftees. Since those enrolled in universities don’t have to serve, people who can’t afford to go to university or don’t have enough money to support themselves are automatically drafted. The war turned into a battle of the young and poor, while the rich and old sat idle in power. Emotions… I want to elicit anger and devastation from my audience. The fact that so many young boys with lots of potential were killed during the war will hopefully draw out those emotions. These are similar emotions that those who lost their sons, brothers or friend during the war. Works Cited “Vietnam: Historians At War.” National Association of Scholars. nas.org/academic-questions/21/1/vietnam_historians_at_war. Accessed June 6 2019. “U.S. Involvement in the Vietnam War: the Gulf of Tonkin and Escalation, 1964.” Office Of The Historian. history.state.gov/milestones/1961-1968/gulf-of-tonkin. Accessed June 6 2019. Lyndon B. Johnson, “Remarks in Memorial Hall, Akron University,” October 21, 1964, Public Papers of the Presidents of the United States, 1964, Book II, pp. 1391-1393.

Building everything…

I began by going thrifting to buy some dolls, I found out in a very inconvenient way that one of them talked french (it was very creepy). I then created a 3×4 wooden shadow box, and was planning on covering it with plexiglass. After finding out plexi glass is like 150$ I decided to go down a different route. I found a shower curtain that was pretty clear, and stretched it out on the shadow box using lots of clamps. Then on a very sunny day I laid it out on the lawn, until it became pretty malleable. This allowed me to stretch it out even more with clamps, witch I then just screwed into the sides. Finally I hung my dolls, splattered blood everywhere and plastered some posters onto the front. 

At the exhibition we were split into groups by how similar our projects were. I ended up being in a group with Izzy and Simon (my two favourite people). Since our teachers wanted the rooms to look like a gallery, we decided to make things pretty simplistic. We just put up some black curtains and brought some outdoor lights and turned off the fluorescent school lights.

I think this project gave me a deeper appreciation for conceptual art. I found it very difficult for myself to create something so simplistic that represented such a deep idea with so many emotions and events. Overall I’m happy with the outcome, but feel like I could have worked on it more and really fine tune everything. That’s it for now, see ya next year!